Thread: Anyone Hitting PWS May 14-18? South spots?

Default Anyone Hitting PWS May 14-18? South spots?

So long as I get the boat back in time from annual check up in time--which I should--buddy and I are planning to head to PWS next week either Monday night or Tuesday morning through Friday or Saturday. Typical shrimp/bear expedition. Would love to meet up with folks, maybe meet a few of you fine folks.

Not sure yet if we will head up Port Wells or what. Past couple years out trips have been to the north side, Hariman, Ester, Unakwik for the most part. We did spend a day playing around Cochran and north Culross when the weather dictated last year on one trip, but that's as far south as I have gone. Seems we only make early trips and then spend the rest of the season in Homer since we have a slip there.

Depending on weather and snow levels, would love to explore to the south.

What are the must see spots to the south. I have the PWS cruising guide, but admit leaving on the boat when I dropped her in Seward few days ago.

We'll be in a white/maroon Seasport Sportsman, Vienna Marie. If you see us, give a shout.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Well, Will...Unakwik is a treat, that moraine in the middle across almost the entire fiord is a hoot...and from what I hear, that passage down by Knight Is and to Montague is nice to experience, but a long way. We boat out of Valdez so know more about the East side of PWS. Over towards Valdez arm, on the west side of Glacier Is is Bulls Head, where you can see a lot of big sea lions laying around, at least in the summer, I have no idea if they are there in the spring. Usually a lot of bergs in that area, some are spectacular. If you go there, then duck into Tatitlek Narrows on the inside of Bligh Island, you can gawk at the native villiage of Tatitlek, beautiful blue dome on the old Russian Orthodox Church there, with Copper Mountain as a backdrop. We will be on the other side of Copper Mountain, doing what you will be doing, hope to catch a few fish too.

OH....you were wanting to talk about bear hunting?? Have to PM me about that...I like to visit with others too, and have made some great friends on the forum. In fact, I will have some young forum members I haven't even met in person yet with me. Boat is the Muckle if you are just cruising by. Will be out there May 15-21. 26' Hewes AK with cabin, red on Aluminum, twin Honda's. I have a cabin that will be pretty full, but the moorage in front is protected and great! Neighbors cabin is for sale too!

Ron

I'll shoot a PM on hunting. Unakwik is honestly one of my favorites with oth Siwash and Jonah bays. Just heard they were commercial shrimping in there this year, so was not giving it much thought for this trip. I probably should track down where the commercial guys are dropping pots. Year before last we fished the same area as commercial guys first weekend of the season and did real well--just stayed out of their way.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

If your boat is in Seward now it will be a shorter run to the southern entrance of PWS coming from Seward. I can't tell you there is anything special about the southern end vs. the rest of the sound but I can say the shrimping is much slower down through there. If you are fishing that is another story. Watch the weather close as you have about 35 miles with no protection coming from Seward....which is about the same as the combined lengths of open water coming from Whittier.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Actually gave that some thought, but plan to bring the boat back front Seward on Friday or Saturday. Will go play around resurrection one day for a shake-down and then back to Soldotna. We will want to go out of Whittier since our plans are so up in the air.

We toyed with the idea if things were real, real nice to just run over to Vadez, but bet we will just go down around Nellie Juan / Kings bay for a day or two. May even go back to Whittier one day to grab a buddy--awesome way to burn fuel, but I'm a sweet guy.

You are a sweet guy. What kind of boat are you running?

I am up in the air between PWS and maybe just going clamming down at the Gulch.

I do have a Griz skull that needs a deep soak though.

He said "We'll be in a white/maroon Seasport Sportsman, Vienna Marie" So...do you drop your bear skulls in a shrimpot, and the bugs and sea lice clean them up? bones don't get soft? well, guess that cold salt water would be easier on a skull than boiling it...anyway, great idea, guess if there is more to this, should start a new thread...

And, Will, answered your PM about coming south next week!

Still lots of snow down in the southern end and bays and lagoons are semi frozen still. About the bear skulls, if you are out shrimping and need a skull cleaned, its the only way to go! Some guys want 200 bucks to do it so why not let the sea bugs do it for you. For a black bear it takes about 3 good days of soaking to clean it all up and they do a great job at it. I have a grizz to do this year to may take alittle longer.