Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is headed to Polly Creek?

Default Who is headed to Polly Creek?

On may 25, 26 and 27 there are -5 tides at Polly creek, 10, 11, and 12 AM, should be some great claming if the weather is good. Local forcast for wind and weather is best found on the NOAA marine forcast for Lower Cook Inlet. Hope to see you there I will be there on Sunday the 26th.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you on 8.50s in the pic? Asking because that's what I have on my 180.

I'll be over if the wx is good, any tips on land there never been in there Tom

Yes ... real hard sand, should be no problem. Next question is land high on the beach and walk with your bucket, or out on the tidal flats and dig close to the plane. I land high and walk, many land out on the flats.

Tips for landing high, from the creek south, starts out as just hard sand, the further south you go it gets more rocky, many years ago had a friend nock the tail wheel off his C-185, he got back OK, sanblasted his prop a bit, getting the stinger unstuck. Just fly down the beach and you will see. Bit of an angle to the high beach,but not too steep. I mention NOAA marine forcast for lower cook inlet because the winds can be different there, I would not land with more than a 10 to 15 mph crosswind. Hope this helps.

The tide comes in pretty fast if you land out on the exposed sand-bar fingers. It is easy to get carried away and be a little too far away from the plane when you notice the water rushing in around your feet.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The tide comes in pretty fast if you land out on the exposed sand-bar fingers. It is easy to get carried away and be a little too far away from the plane when you notice the water rushing in around your feet.
    Good points. Personally I always land up high on the beach. I like the walk after the flight down in a cub anyway. Also don't forget your fishing license. My group has been checked by a trooper in a cub down there in the past.

And watch the limit....
    If you are digging clams 100 yards away from a buddy who is also digging clams,,,, you can easily have too many to be legal...

I am still trying to get some real photos to scan so I can show you what it looks like to be taking off with water rushing over your sand-bar runway.

Flying in to go clamming, that sounds like a blast!!!

Been trying to make it down for yrs but something always seems to prevent it. Love the clams and hope to sseeya there on Sunday the 26th.

Also if you land high on the beach be there early and follow the tide out. I have landed late and walked for what seems like a mile just to be chased out by a very fast moving tide with no clams. I have also been checked by a trooper in a R-22 on the beach as soon as I shut down. To bad Im in Dutch for the summer or I would be there.

Yep! Once had to assist a C-180 driver who had flooded his engine on one of those offshore sandbars. It can get really scary if one does something like that . . . . .

I flew down last month and got as may as I wanted to clean in about 45 minutes. I just have a stock Cessna 150 with 6.00x6 tires so I landed up on the beach and walked out. It doesn't take long to walk out to the clams and parking on a slope gives me options if I get stuck and more time if I have a problem. I ended up staying and talking to another pilot until after 3 pm and the water wasn't even getting close. I think I will skip the next minus tide since it is memorial weekend and I just don't like fishing/hunting in a crowd. There are some really good weekend tides all summer so I will be back for more in June or July.

And watch the limit....
    If you are digging clams 100 yards away from a buddy who is also digging clams,,,, you can easily have too many to be legal...

I am still trying to get some real photos to scan so I can show you what it looks like to be taking off with water rushing over your sand-bar runway.
    What do you mean by too many to be legal? There's no limit on the west side of cook inlet.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Anyone feel like going over on sat. I have never been there and never dug clams before so I would like to go with someone the first time.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

What do you mean by too many to be legal? There's no limit on the west side of cook inlet.
    At the time of the great clam over-load (early 90s) I believe there was a 60 clam per person per day limit. Or at least we certainly thought there was.

A PA-12 will only hold so many burlap bags full of clams while attempting to take off with water hitting the tires.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

was at fish and game yesterday...while there an EO came out reducing limits to 25 on east side of Cook Inlet...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...on%20Final.pdf

Which tide table do you look at? It seems like the last time we went down we showed up a hour after the seldovia low tide and it worked about right.
    Jeff

I just go to NOAA Tide Predictions, printed out Ninilchik for the year, if you look at the bottom of the the page they use the Station at Seldovia and then apply tide height and time offsets, they might do Tuxidney Bay which would be spot on. Yes about 1 hour is good ...

I ended up finding my way over there and learning the hard way how to dig clams! I had an incredibly smooth ride over there and had enough clams to can 7 pints and still have plenty left over for a fresh meal last night. It was an incredible day over there with loads of sunshine! There was a ton of planes, but a great trip! Saw a large group of Seals out sunning themselves in the big su on the way home and some belugas out in the bay. And finally put the new pressure cooker to use!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast