Thread: Tents, marmot grid-newbie

Default Tents, marmot grid-newbie

First off let me introduce myself, my name is Dexter Grayson and my wife and I are both nurses and in the process of moving to the anchorage area. We are mainly waterfowl hunters but have really started to big game hunt in the past couple years.

Now for my for question.
    I have done alot of research on here about backpacking tents, and I have come to the conclusion that I want a Marmot Grid 2p. Now the problem that I am running into is finding one. I have looked at several different websites.

Do any of you have any idea where I could find one? And if not what would be a similar tent in price and quality? I would love to get a hilleberg but cannot quite justify spending that much, yet.

What are your parameters? Are you looking at weight, wind loading, winter capability, etc.?

How long are you going to be out on the trips where you will use this tent?

I have pretty different tent preferences for summer versus winter as well as for backpacking versus boat or plane supported adventures. For summer backpacking I pretty much stick with a single pole tent. They are really light weight, but I go for the four person version so I can get in there with one other person without experiencing birth just to get in and out of the thing. Winters I go for either a Sierra Designs Stretch Prelude 4 person tent if I'm alone or a Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8 if I have another adventurer or two along.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Pretty sure they dropped the grid from their lineup.

Barney's Sports Chalet has a tent that's a little bit pricier, but lighter by a few pounds:

http://barneyssports.com/tents/backp...oray-tent.html

I'm usually too cheap to shop Barney's but their gear is always top quality. Check it out.

Hey Dexter, I sent a delayed PM on that other forum about Anchorage stuff.

As for tents a lot of us up here are going for floorless tipi tents these days. They are larger for the same weight in most cases. During bug season a nest keeps you off any wet surfaces and mostly bug free. They also allow for coming inside dressed in muddy wet clothes and no worries about cleaning out the tent before packing it up. Great with wet dogs, too.

the GoLite SL3 and SL5 are favorites of many of us. Also check out the Seek Outside Little Bug Out shelters. Kifaru tent tarps as well. Bearpaw Wilderness Designs also have several tents. I use their nest in my SL5 for summer camping when buggy.

I picked up a Marmot Grid 2p last summer and like it a lot, though it sure is tight with two people. Still, it's a tough little tent and I was glad to have it in some stormy conditions. Like Ray said, though, I'll be putting my SL-3 and SL-5 through its paces this summer and potentially leaving my Grid behind come sheep season.

There have been several tents I have been looking at.

The north face big fat frog 24, and tadpole 23, and rock 32
    MSR hubba hubba
    Rei half dome 2 plus, quarter dome T3

I have also been looking at the floor less tents like the golite SL 3, but haven't quite sold the wife on it yet. She is scared of 'critters' crawling in and is worried about the 'snuggleability' with the pole in the middle. I need to do some more research about the nest.

Would like the weight to be 4-8 lbs, at least 2 person, and as of right now I do not have any plans of camping much below freezing.

SL3 with nest is a pretty decent option. SL5 with nest even better. No creepy crawlies. Lots of room. My two cents...but I'm 6'4" and generally can't find a 2 person tent long enough for me anyway...so I never even consider them.
    14 Days to Alaska

I purchased a Nemo Losi 3p tent and I am quite happy with how it holds up to the elements. Its a dome tent with more room than normal dome tents because of it design. it is relatively light for its size and you can just use the fly and poles for lighter pack load. It does not have the height of the Golite but it is worth checking out. There is another one from Big Agnes that is pretty sweet i think it might be the seed house or copper spur. happy hunting!

I own all these shelters (grid, grid plus, Sl3, SL5, nests) They have all seen service. Understand that there isn't a do all end all backpacking shelter. Lots of options and most are just fine. Going ultralight is all about compromise.
    Use a tarp, Bivy, rocks or whatever for shelter. Do whatever it takes to maintain body temperature and safety. Anything more is fluff. Be comfortable and posh at home. If you want snuggability, leave the tent behind. In no time you'll have a little spooning action.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Going ultralight is all about compromise.
    Use a tarp, Bivy, rocks or whatever for shelter. Do whatever it takes to maintain body temperature and safety. Anything more is fluff. Be comfortable and posh at home. If you want snuggability, leave the tent behind. In no time you'll have a little spooning action.
    While I am all for going spartan at times, sometimes a little extra couple pounds in the pack for some creature comforts is worth it. Its fine for 3-4 days at a time, but start being out on a hunt for a week or better with bad weather its nice to have a few extra amenities for me. I know you have more bad weather than myself, but just how I roll.

I had the Grid for a short time....can't find anything better for space/to weight/$$$ than a GoLite Sl-5 with a two person nest inside. 3.5 pounds with 20 stakes all up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    While I am all for going spartan at times, sometimes a little extra couple pounds in the pack for some creature comforts is worth it. Its fine for 3-4 days at a time, but start being out on a hunt for a week or better with bad weather its nice to have a few extra amenities for me. I know you have more bad weather than myself, but just how I roll.

I had the Grid for a short time....can't find anything better for space/to weight/$$$ than a GoLite Sl-5 with a two person nest inside. 3.5 pounds with 20 stakes all up.
    That pretty much sums it up for me...and almost my exact solution for backpacking tent, just haven't tried the 2 person nest inside, only the SL5 nest.
    14 Days to Alaska

my marmot is the older version and I probably cant count the amount of days its been in the field over the last 15 years.. It used to see upwards of 4 months per year and to this day it is still my go to tent.. It is tight but I just cant seem to change.. I have used it in the worst weather from the peninsula to the interior and slope,been buried in ice and snow and I am still on the original poles.. not sayin its the best out there but its best for me.. I just cant seem to go floorless as I have seen way to many bugs and parka squirll issues.. I do always hear good things about the golite tents but I just havent seen a need to change...

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Grayson View Post
    She is scared of 'critters' crawling in and is worried about the 'snuggleability' with the pole in the middle.
    If you plan on being above treeline then you will need the pole in the middle, but if you plan on using it where there are trees, you can tie off the top to a branch or make a tripod above it to tie off to, thus eliminating the center pole......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!