Thread: Gulkana River Trips

Default Gulkana River Trips

Hi guys!

It must be spring time where you live because I am getting calls about trips down the Gulkana River. Well, lets take a look!

As a rule I do not book any trips out of Paxon Lake until June 10th ish. It can be a guessing game when it comes to ice out on Paxon Lake and I really worry about rafters getting flipped in that early spring run off water. This year may be diffrent than most but as a standard rule Early June is iffy and the clarity can make fishing that section bought. I have floated it as early as Memorial Day weekend but that is not the norm for sure.

Lower section:

We find that mid may the lower section blows out and clears up enough to do some rafting from Sourdough down but once again I like to hold out until June 1st for that section mostly due to clarity issues.

Kings hit the lower section from Sailors Pit down to the Copper about June 10th and we start seeing good Red Runs pouring into the river week 3 in June.

Time to get ready and patch that old raft, it is fishing time!

Walt

Gulkana Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Walt get out of the Rock Hole and Leave my King Alone. :-) Thanks for sharing. I am hoping it is not like 2005 ish where we had Ice all the way down the river through the 8th of June had to find a good place to Camp if you know what I mean. As always thanks for providing updates on the river and the water condition.

Regards
    RMM

It has been raining all weekend and my place is 1 foot of covering 2 feet of slush! I am betting the lower end will blow open in the next week ish. Paxon is always a guessing game.

Walt

Gulkana River Raft Rentals

WOW! sounds like a perfect muddy mess which is not a bad thing considering how late everything is. Might just be hope yet for some pig and Jig fishing at the confluence over Mem Weekend. Mind you only for the hardy as you know but still some years can be fun. I will be running directly after ice out as always maybe we will C ya up there this year. Love hitting the early stone hatch with Smolt out always a hoot well that is if you don't mind the snow/sleet/ice and rain. We have started calling it our Follow the BLM trip down! As you know last year the sheet ice kept going from one side of Paxson to the other so one day you could make it down and across the next was a no go. Very interesting beginning to the year.

Stay Safe! Stay Happy! and Stay Floating.

Interesting for sure! I am betting we will see the river flooding by the weekend. Warm temps and lots of soggy melt. I am also betting that the mouth of the Gulkana will blow out by May 15ish. Paxon on down...Who knows? The size man will be calling the BLM in Glennallen and asking for overflight info.

Walt

Hey Walter
    Any chance to contact you via email (time difference)? We're coming back to Gulkana this year in mid June and I would like to discuss with you different options. Last year it was hard going for our crazy Polish/Scottich expedition but I'm hoping to see normal levels this year.
    Take care

Lukasz

You bet.

My web site has been down for a bit but is now up and running. Try www.gulkanaraftrental.com there is one of my emails contacts at the bottom of each page or try my hunting e-mail at northwestalaska@yahoo.com

Look forward to working with you.

Walt

Thanks! Email just sent.

May 12, 2013 from Rhichardson Bridge

Just for fun...Gulkana has received 8 inches of fresh snow TODAY!!!

Will it ever end?

I am still expecting that the lower end will be flowing in the next 10 days?? Please!!

Walt

Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Your best bet in rafting and camping trips on the Gulkana River!

Will be taking a group of around 10-12 military folks from Sourdough to the bridge 18-20 June. Hopefully the King run will be strong enough to allow a few of them a chance for a King, at least catch and release. Caught several reds last year in the high water. Will try to keep most of them sober and out of the river, but no promises.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.