Thread: Electronic scale/dispenser suggestions

Default Electronic scale/dispenser suggestions

I am going to upgrade to an electronic scale/dispenser but the jury is still out on which way to go. I am looking for feedback on the Lyman Gen 5 and the Hornady Lock N Load. These are available locally. I am loading both spherical and extruded powders.

What are your experiences on accuracy? % of overcharging?
    How often does your scale need to be re-zero'd or calibrated?
    How long does it take to dispense a charge, say 30 grains (guestimate)?
    Any issues with emptying/changing powders?

Thanks for your replies...

I bought one of the Lymans, then upgraded it a couple years later (don't remember the details). Love it! Never tried the Hornady, but I would expect to love it too. No overcharges that I have ever seen. Recal is rarely needed unless I'm really banging around on my bench. 30 grains would take about 10 seconds, I'd guess. Time is never a big problem, even when I'm filling 300 Wby or RUM cases. Emptying the powder is probably the weak point of this kit, but I don't have to do it that frequently, so I endure it. I don't know if newer generations have improved the process. I still wouldn't hesitate to buy it again, especially for when accuracy really counts. Don't really need it as much for plinking ammo.

Thanks for the information. Are you using extruded powders or spherical?

Extruded. Haven't used any flake or spherical. Can't imagine they would be problematic, but might take longer to meter out a load.

Thanks for the reply. Great information

I am a big fan of the RCBS charge master. I use it for extruded and spherical. I always calibrate before using to be sure everything is dialed in and off I go. I find that it takes about the same time to dump a charge as it does to seat the bullet. It keeps things moving along pretty effiecent.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I am a big fan of the RCBS charge master. I use it for extruded and spherical. I always calibrate before using to be sure everything is dialed in and off I go. I find that it takes about the same time to dump a charge as it does to seat the bullet. It keeps things moving along pretty effiecent.
    Thank you for the information. How would you rate the accuracy/consistency with the extruded powders, like Varget? For example let's say your loads are 30.0 gr +/- ?

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I use the RCBS chargemaster also...rarely is it off more than +- .1 It will also tell you the overcharge or undercharge after the finish dispensing (stable) beep sounds...you can either accept the load or put it back in the hopper...I would say that it is spot on 99 percent of the time...with pistol or rifle loads...And as previously noted...the dispense time is about equal to the bullet seating time so a nice rhythm can be established...

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    I use the RCBS chargemaster also...rarely is it off more than +- .1 It will also tell you the overcharge or undercharge after the finish dispensing (stable) beep sounds...you can either accept the load or put it back in the hopper...I would say that it is spot on 99 percent of the time...with pistol or rifle loads...And as previously noted...the dispense time is about equal to the bullet seating time so a nice rhythm can be established...
    Great information, thank you

I bought the hornady lock and load and hate it. I use a lot of h869 and the hornady over charged every time you can change the speed but was a a pain in the butt so I returned it, I now have the Lyman and never had any problems and so easy to use. You can store 100 different loads if you want to. Never tried the RCBS I just can't see spending another 100.00 for the RCBS. I give Lyman gen 5 (4 stars).

Quote Originally Posted by Hausser View Post
    I bought the hornady lock and load and hate it. I use a lot of h869 and the hornady over charged every time you can change the speed but was a a pain in the butt so I returned it, I now have the Lyman and never had any problems and so easy to use. You can store 100 different loads if you want to. Never tried the RCBS I just can't see spending another 100.00 for the RCBS. I give Lyman gen 5 (4 stars).
    Thanks for the information. How often to you calibrate or re-zero? Do you find that the scale wanders at all during loading? Have you tried any extruded powders like the Reloader series or IMR or Varget for example?

My primary powder is Varget and the charge master works great.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    My primary powder is Varget and the charge master works great.
    Thanks. I noticed that you calibrate each time prior to using. Do you check calibration/zero or have to rezero during the process?

Quote Originally Posted by efrench View Post
    Thanks. I noticed that you calibrate each time prior to using. Do you check calibration/zero or have to rezero during the process?
    Never had to rezero. I have checked calibration just to be sure but it has always been correct.

I use the chargemaster too. Haven't had any problems, and as previously stated, it's usually dead on, or +/- .1. And dispenses the loads in about the amount of time it takes me to seat a bullet. It only stores 25 loads though, so I generally only use it for rifles, and use my powder measure for pistol. I also calibrate the chargemaster every time, just to make sure everything is in order (peace of mind). I've been using mine for about 3 years now and have yet to have an issue with it.

I had a buddy who had the hornady, he said it was a pain to get any consistency out of it, and I have no experience with the lyman.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by efrench View Post
    Thanks for the information. How often to you calibrate or re-zero? Do you find that the scale wanders at all during loading? Have you tried any extruded powders like the Reloader series or IMR or Varget for example?
    I have not tried the IMR new to the whole reloading adventure so the only thing I have reloaded so far is the US 869, I double checked random charges when loading up 50 rounds of 338 lapua and worked great. As soon as I can get dies for my pistols I can try my IMR out in my Lyman, as far as re-zero it I would do that every time I turned it on and the reason I did that was just to be cautious because I am so new and I don't need anything blowing up on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hausser View Post
    I have not tried the IMR new to the whole reloading adventure so the only thing I have reloaded so far is the US 869, I double checked random charges when loading up 50 rounds of 338 lapua and worked great. As soon as I can get dies for my pistols I can try my IMR out in my Lyman, as far as re-zero it I would do that every time I turned it on and the reason I did that was just to be cautious because I am so new and I don't need anything blowing up on me.
    Thank you. I agree with rezeroing each time on startup... takes the uncertainty out of the equasion. Just curious, what is the typical powder charge for a .338 Lapua? I can imagine that it chews through a pound rather quickly!

Depends on the powder type and bullet , I loaded up hornady 250 grain SP and the powder is US 869 and the charge is 101.5 to 108 grains so if you factor in spilling some and loading some I got 50 rounds and still have powder left out of 1 pound.