Thread: Anna J sold

Default Anna J sold

They say the best day in a boaters life is when he buys his boat and the second best is when he sells her. Just had the second best day of my boating career! I've enjoyed 5-1/2 years of boating out of Dutch and then 7-1/2 years in PWS and now it's time to let someone else go over the check list, change the oil in the lower unit and make sure that everything is shipshape prior to heading out. The thing I think I'll miss most is waking up on board the Anna J anchored off in my favorite duck hunting spot, cooking up breakfast and then heading out for a morning of waterfowling over a nice decoy spread. We'll still be out there but will be either in a friends boat or we'll charter. Be safe!
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Bitter sweet for sure! What caused the change of seat selection?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Bitter sweet for sure! What caused the change of seat selection?
    Been thinking about it for a while. When we lived in Dutch boating was just so easy. Could get off of work at 5 and be on the water by 5:30. I knew everyone at the ramp and I never saw or heard anyone getting pissed off at anyone else. And believe it or not we used our boat in Dutch all year round. Here it's over an hour each way towing the boat, I've heard and seen more than my share of pissed off folks at the ramp (which I could never understand as you are either starting or finishing a trip to one of the most incredible places in the world!), the boating season (unless you have a slip) is limted to April-November, there is the cost of diesel for the truck (which I also sold), the tunnel fee, the lanuch fee, the parking fee and then the boat is in the water. Don't get me wrong I spend 7-1/2 years out in PWS and I loved it. But my wife and I love to travel and I have two friends who have charters and a couple of buddies who have boats so I'll let the younger boys drive the boat and I'll enjoy the ride.....

Sorry to see you go. I believe you helped my wife at the dock last year when my winch cable broke on my trailer while I was attempting to winch my boat up. Another forum member, PatrickL, offered the use of a tow strap so I had walked up to the parking lot to retrieve it and you assisted my wife while I was away. Thank you for helping her. While I know there are many others out there willing to lend a helping hand, there are also, unfortunately, a few who are rude and inconsiderate and can make the boat ramp an unpleasant experience. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    Sorry to see you go. I believe you helped my wife at the dock last year when my winch cable broke on my trailer while I was attempting to winch my boat up. Another forum member, PatrickL, offered the use of a tow strap so I had walked up to the parking lot to retrieve it and you assisted my wife while I was away. Thank you for helping her. While I know there are many others out there willing to lend a helping hand, there are also, unfortunately, a few who are rude and inconsiderate and can make the boat ramp an unpleasant experience. Thanks again!
    If I remember correctly she told me she wasn't exactly sure what she was supposed to be responsible for except for holding onto the boat . I told her that as the skipper it was YOUR job to let her know what to do when you came back with the truck. She laughed at that and we had a nice chat. Now that the Anna J is gone, I told my wife that I may just take my lawn chair and an ice chest and set up near the ramp on busy Saturday mornings just to watch the entertainment and play sidewalk superintendent!

I hear ya. You are probably showing your wisdom! They say its always better to have a friend with a boat than own one for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    I've heard and seen more than my share of pissed off folks at the ramp (which I could never understand as you are either starting or finishing a trip to one of the most incredible places in the world!)
    I have never got this either. Unless someone just straight up plows into your boat I don't get what all the tension is for....

I have never got this either. Unless someone just straight up plows into your boat I don't get what all the tension is for....[/QUOTE]

I actually had that happen to me when I was tied up in Seward. Guy come cruising down between the slips in a C-Dory with a pretty good side wind. Next thing I know he is sideswiping the stern of my boat. Fortunately there wasn't any damage besides a small scratch. As soon as he tied her up he ran over and apologized to me and offered to pay for any damage. We ended up talking for about ten minutes and although I would prefer to meet folks under different circumstances we did have a nice conversation. Life is way to short for that other stuff.

Me too! Had a charter operator stab the starboard side of my boat with the bow of his while trying to turn around in the harbor.
    Crappy part was he ignored it all and left with customers on board (kayakers). If it weren't for me and my hunting partners on board it would have been very ugly. He took out my side window as it was.
    I had to call the charter owner and discuss. Owner said fix it and bill me. I fixed it and worte it off.
    Still didn't ruin my trip though, just a close call and no one got their fingers pinched off.
    BK

I actually had that happen to me when I was tied up in Seward. Guy come cruising down between the slips in a C-Dory with a pretty good side wind. Next thing I know he is sideswiping the stern of my boat. Fortunately there wasn't any damage besides a small scratch. As soon as he tied her up he ran over and apologized to me and offered to pay for any damage. We ended up talking for about ten minutes and although I would prefer to meet folks under different circumstances we did have a nice conversation. Life is way to short for that other stuff.

Agree, life is too short. A bad situation can usually be calmed with an apology or kind word.

If I remember correctly she told me she wasn't exactly sure what she was supposed to be responsible for except for holding onto the boat . I told her that as the skipper it was YOUR job to let her know what to do when you came back with the truck. She laughed at that and we had a nice chat. Now that the Anna J is gone, I told my wife that I may just take my lawn chair and an ice chest and set up near the ramp on busy Saturday mornings just to watch the entertainment and play sidewalk superintendent!
    There are a couple of chairs behind the ice cream shop by the ramp in Whittier. I tied up in the harbor and spent an evening watching the show last 4th of July.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

TriIron, I'll plead ignorance since that was my first time out with the family on the boat. I didn't think there was much more to it than holding on to the boat until I returned with the trailer. Trial by fire. I learned a lot last year in my first season with the boat. If you remember how crowded it was at the ramp that day when my cable broke, you can imagine my stress level. Two kids, two 1 year old labs, and my wife and I on our first trip with the boat with the ramp blocked on what seemed to be the busiest day all summer.

Way back in time I was in school at the University of Texas and my wife was working weekends and nights to keep bread on the table. On weekends my two kids and I would often walk up to a close by park and watch the boats coming and going to the ramp. Most of them had been out watersking and more than a few had been downing a few on those hot Texas summer days. One Saturday evening the three of us were sitting under a tree enjoying a picnic when one of those pointy ski boats with a loud big block comes tearing up to the dock and a woman in a bikini jumps onto the dock and obviously quite toasted heads up to the parking lot. As we watched she backs a nice big red truck down to the ramp and proceeds to drive the trailer all the way into the lake with the back of the truck actually in the water. The skipper-who was also rather drunk- guns his beutiful ski boat and proceeds to drive the boat all the way up into the bed of the truck busting out the tailgate and proceeds to jam the bow through the rear window of the truck-doing considerable damage to both the boat and the truck. We were then treated to a rather profane exchange between the two lovebirds on whose fault this was. At that point my seven year old son looks over at me and say "Papa why did that man break his boat and his truck?"

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    They say its always better to have a friend with a boat than own one for yourself.

My card is the first one out when we hit the fuel docks... You summed it up nicely DMan
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    Its funny you bring that up again as the wife and I were both kind of flustered that day as well. We had our 3 dogs, a 2 year old and and my wife was 8 months pregnant. There was plenty of drama going on that day at the ramp. Long story short, it was one of the busiest days I saw that year and while I was backing down this guy cuts in front of me, a bunch of people start yelling at him and by the time it was figured out my wife and I were pretty flustered. After we made it through the tunnel I pulled into the pullout by Portage Lake to make sure everything was secure and I ran into TriIron doing the same. It was great to meet you and you put it all in perspective when you said something like you never understood all the tension at the ramp as you are either starting or finishing a trip to one of the most incredible places in the world. Very true and helped my wife and I have a little laugh and forget about it.

Anyway it was great to meet you and hopefully we'll still see you on the water from time to time. Congrats on selling that beautiful boat of yours and don't be a stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Its funny you bring that up again as the wife and I were both kind of flustered that day as well. We had our 3 dogs, a 2 year old and and my wife was 8 months pregnant. There was plenty of drama going on that day at the ramp. Long story short, it was one of the busiest days I saw that year and while I was backing down this guy cuts in front of me, a bunch of people start yelling at him and by the time it was figured out my wife and I were pretty flustered. After we made it through the tunnel I pulled into the pullout by Portage Lake to make sure everything was secure and I ran into TriIron doing the same. It was great to meet you and you put it all in perspective when you said something like you never understood all the tension at the ramp as you are either starting or finishing a trip to one of the most incredible places in the world. Very true and helped my wife and I have a little laugh and forget about it.

Anyway it was great to meet you and hopefully we'll still see you on the water from time to time. Congrats on selling that beautiful boat of yours and don't be a stranger.
    Maybe I'll skip the lawn chair and cooler and just stand on the dock with my thumb out and a sign saying "Long Island or bust"...

TriIron, I see you finally made the decision. As you know, I have been sitting on the fence for a couple of years now also. I hope it works out well for you!! Everything that you described is correct...being a boat owner takes a lot of time, money and work. My boat sits in my driveway way more than I use it!! Every week I go back and forth on if I should keep it or sell it.

We will have to get together and take my boat out now!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Just let me know when. I have my VISA warmed up!