Thread: New Toy!

Default New Toy!

Thought I would show my new toy and get some feedback on the frame/oar set up. I realize the raft isn't a popular name brand but I believe it will fit the bill prefectly for me and I am very excited to put it to use. The raft will be stored at a friends place in a village so there will be no shipping it back and forth every year and it will only be used on a very easy/small river 7-10 days a year. My daughter will be doing the first hunt in mid Sept and we can't wait! Thanks for the help from people I have been bugging thru pm's. Feel free to blast away with the good, the bad and the ugly. One thing that I was having a hard time was setting up the oar locks and oars. Am I close??

and

and

Good looking rig. I like how skinny it is. Make sure to bring an extra oar.

I've got the 15' version, they are great boats. Absolutely nothing sub-par about AK outfitters rafts.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Very nice, fun times ahead for you and your daughter

The oar stands are backwards in the last photo.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Michael, they should be inside the frame? Should they be straight up or angled? Whats the distance between the oars (thumbs) when they are horizontal? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Michael, they should be inside the frame? Should they be straight up or angled? Whats the distance between the oars (thumbs) when they are horizontal? Thanks!
    Hard to do it "right" with that type of oarstand, because they don't let you rotate the vertical to the proper outboard angle. It's because of the Hollandaer fitting itself. They should be tilted outboard at about a 10-15 degree angle.

Also, look how high your oar handles are in the first photo. Imagine you were in the river. Your blades would not even be submerged, and you are at a high angle already. You need longer oars.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

The oars are 9', what is standard? Should I get different oar rights to be able to adjust to a better angle and lower? The river I will be floating does get narrow in places. Thanks for your help.

Well Congrat Trailblazersteve! Nothing wrong with the boat concerning the good the bad and the ugly.

Couple of points of interest - it is basically the Star Super Bug I have one and have had more over the years. Down side would be the overall weight.

I like the fact they now have a floor that is self bailing versus the oldser style of 4 D rings and pulling it up to the bars! Sorta use to bite.

If you ever decide to upgrade part of it I would consider the seat for the Oaring person. Over the years and I do mean many I have come to like the High Back Seats whenever possible IMO it make a difference on an extended float.

Again Congrats on your NEW TOY! Use it well and enjoy that family time.

Regards

RMM

I also think you oar handles look too high, and if the blades were fully submerged they would likely be higher yet. You may prefer 10' oars to get them deeper, but you should be able to adjust what you have, and a longer oar reduces leverage, unless you can get your oarlocks farther out too. You can also raise the seat to match the oar handles but that would not be my first choice.

It also looks like your oars are placed too far forward. I usually set mine 8-12" forward of the seat's front edge. A whole lot of this is about personal preference though.

Always bring tools to make adjustments on the water. I carry the NRS tri-tool in my pfd pocket. If anyone carries this same tool I recommend grinding down the flathead tip to make it stronger. Sorry for getting off topic.

Great boat and setup. Tweak a few things as folks have mentioned and be prepared for on the water adjustments and fixes.

Always look downstream!
    -Danner
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Thanks Jim and Danner. There was no set up instructions that came with the frame and if I had one complaint about the purchase of my raft is that the salesman did a poor job of helping me with the set up. To his credit, he did tell me that it is mostly preference but he gave me no starting points. You guy have gave some great advice! Looks like we'll be giving it a try on the Kenai Sat!

Will do Oyster and thanks for your help!