Thread: Clamming out of Deep Creek SRA?

Default Clamming out of Deep Creek SRA?

Thinking of heading down there next Saturday, the 11th to try to find some razor clams, will be taking my wife and daughter. Would the regulars think it would be wise to bring the ranger to be able to get around a little easier and not to have to carry our gear around? Anyone been out yet and had any luck? Thanks
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Thinking of heading down there next Saturday, the 11th to try to find some razor clams, will be taking my wife and daughter. Would the regulars think it would be wise to bring the ranger to be able to get around a little easier and not to have to carry our gear around? Anyone been out yet and had any luck? Thanks
    Leave the ranger at home... If your not careful your ranger will be a casualty stuck in the mud... Seen folks stuck in that mud wigging out people yanking on them finally pulling them out of thier hip waders, waders left in the mud. My kid won't even go out she will sit and watch..

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Leave the ranger at home... If your not careful your ranger will be a casualty stuck in the mud... Seen folks stuck in that mud wigging out people yanking on them finally pulling them out of thier hip waders, waders left in the mud. My kid won't even go out she will sit and watch..
    Holy smokes, folks he is alive!!! Thanks for the tip, Ill leave the ranger at home then, wont have to burn that much diesel then anyways. Oh, would you happen to have a couple clam guns?
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Charterboat Operator

REALLY????
    Matt, the ranger would be a great aide in getting you away from the main stream of people, if you do go to deep creek, head south for a couple of miles, you will be out of all the walking traffic, but no where near to bieng alone. Keep the ranger off of the flats and on the beach itself. It is still obviously cold, and cams seem to be deep. have fun and good luck.

Yeah the only thing I would worry about is washing it well to get all the sand and salt water off of it...

I see people on wheelers all the time down there while clamming, never seen one stuck. If you're worried about it just stay above the high water line....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Definitely take the ranger.
    Much better than taking your truck on the beach.
    Use it to get down the beach a ways then park it up on the beach and walk down to get the clams.
    The areas within walking distance of any access point are picked over pretty hard.
    The ranger will allow you to access areas that receive less pressure.
    If it were me I wouldn't go without the ranger IMHO.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Ok thanks for the tips guys, Ill let you guys know if we did any good.
    Thomas Jefferson

I drive a toyota pickup up and down that beach all the time without issue, just stay up high on the sloped beach, don't get down in the flats or you will be kissing that ranger good bye! I wouldn't go without it FWIW.

Yeah *** was I thinking drive that bad boy onto the mud flats... Yeah I'm going to drag a ranger 200 plus miles on a trailer so I can putz around on the beach to get mile from the crowd **** that makes to much sense... Oh for what maybe 60 clams lol

Yeah *** was I thinking drive that bad boy onto the mud flats... Yeah I'm going to drag a ranger 200 plus miles on a trailer so I can putz around on the beach to get mile from the crowd **** that makes to much sense... Oh for what maybe 60 clams lol
    Do we need a man hug The ranger could be a lot more fun then the clamming this year!

I guess his other option if he is determined to go clamming is to drive 200 miles in the truck walk about as far as ones cares to with his gear(which is what every tourist and non atv owning local has been doing the last umpteeen years) and come home with 12-15 clams.
    Thats the report many on here gave on the last clam tide. With the ranger at least his odds of finding a spot that isn't picked over quite so much go up.
    Why own a ranger if you are not going to use it? Heck why not just risk his truck on the beach?
    We all know they are cheaper at the store but what fun is that?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Razor clams are the only Alaska seafood that I prefer to buy instead of harvest myself.

Take the wheeler and go as far away from people as you can.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Do we need a man hug The ranger could be a lot more fun then the clamming this year!
    Clearly he's trying to make new friends...

Fish & Game is on the beach and checking harvest numbers. We got 106 on two tides w/ only one clam gun. Our brand new shovel broke @ second hole yesterday.