Thread: Wolf Population around McClaren River

Default Wolf Population around McClaren River

I heard that last fall there was quite a bit of evidence of winter moose kill around the McClaren river. Specifically, in the area where the Clear Water runs into it. Has anyone been up in that area or know if there were many wolves in that area this last winter and how the moose population faired this winter?

I should add that we heard it was on the southern side of the McClaren.

Are you saying that you heard that last fall or heard that it happened last fall? I was there last fall and the fall before that for the opener each time.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Very few wolves in unit 13 period. Especially in that whole Denali hwy area. If the kill evidence is definately "during winter", then it's not likely to be bears..... Wolf sign in area??? My guess would be more likely bears.

.300 is correct. I rode the Maclaren area and the area you are speaking of quite extensively this winter. It was surprising how few wolf tracks I saw. The moose seemed to be doing well this winter up there. I saw allot of cows with calfs even later in the winter. I didn't find a single moose kill all winter long that could be blamed on the wolves. I actually saw allot more coyotes than I did wolves. The coyotes gave the caribou a pretty good run this past winter.

Bears are the big issue. Last fall I went moose hunting 17 miles down the Maclaren and didn't see one bull moose. I did however see 4 grizzlies in 3 days. The bears in that area are plentiful.

We heard last fall from some people who regularly hunt the area and saw kill sites, which could have been bears, and they usually do well for moose but didn't see one bull last fall. We've never seen any on the North Side of the river so wanted to see if others had seen any signs. We also saw 3 bears last fall.

This last fall we saw more moose in our particular area than I've ever seen back there. Just no legal bulls. Numbers seemed pretty good to me but last year was a lame year. Seemed like all the 50+ bulls got nailed with the high snow, but the young bulls and cows were all over the place. My uncle who lives in Glenallen has said the same thing about a lot of other places in unit 13. There's a certain drainage where he stopped on one of the pullouts and counted 23 moose, all cows and calves, visible from the highway. I'm thinking about hitting him up for that spot come fall. I've also seen way more cows and calves in the Sutton area than usual too. It might be a banner year for spike forks.

Cant say I've ever seen a wolf or any wolf sign myself near the MacLaren. We hunt the south side.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

We saw plenty of moose in our area too but mostly sub legal bulls. Hopen they all have a good spring and summer with lots of food

Were you hunting the South or North side of the HWY?
    Edit: Sorry I meant to quote on 907pride.

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Very few wolves in unit 13 period. Especially in that whole Denali hwy area. If the kill evidence is definately "during winter", then it's not likely to be bears..... Wolf sign in area??? My guess would be more likely bears.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Unless a 50+" bull is on his last legs, he's in his prime- these are some of the least likely moose to die due to winter, despite what you might read/hear about post-rut fat and energy loss. So, my guess is that these are areas that are hunted, and legal bulls are hard to come by. Similar to easily (relatively) accessed sheep areas, hard to find 8+ year old mature rams. And I can tell you that wolves aren't an issue in the area- bears may be. Go get those spike forks!!
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde