Thread: Pressure washers, hallelujah...

Default Pressure washers, hallelujah...

Man, what took me so long?
    I still own the light-duty, electric pressure washer I bought 5 years ago, but it might be for sale.
    Why? Three weeks ago, a gas-powered, 3,100 PSI washer came into my life (garage actually)... it's been a revelation.
    Discoveries: this power washer has been a true workhorse, saving a lot of time and work on:

1. Driveway/garage... of course
    2. Getting the gravel out of my lawn along the street edge. This seems hard to believe, but Alaska lawns are tough I guess
    3. That ugly black mold on the bottom of my old, old Old Town canoe: gone.
    4. Black mold on the tubes and decking of my cataraft: gone.

Awhile back, I saw a YouTube clip of a guy using a pressure washer to flesh out a hide.
    I am beginning to believe it. Wonderful machine.

Be interested in hearing if you have discovered any other applications.
    More time fishing!

I hear ya Dwight. I bought my first, and only one, about 8 years ago and right away it became my new favorite toy. The **** thing will peel the skin right off your hands so I suppose it would probably do a number on fleshing hides also.

Ha - more power than I've been accustomed to. I stick with the 40 deg tip for most things, but it has a more concentrated one for serious drilling.
    Mike Strahan commented on another thread that when the power is too concentrated, it can ruin Aire rafts - tough to do!

Cleaning my old canoe and getting that gravel out of my lawn without destroying the grass were pretty cool I love that thing.

Have a good spring, man.

Works pretty good on skulls when you want to do a euro mount.

I think the best use I got from mine is when I kept the neighbors cat out of the garage while I'm washing the truck. Come to think of it that was pretty fun too. I just wish it would come back.

I'm using a 40,000 psi Aqua Miser to strip paint off a barge deck today; thing's a beast.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Definite injury potential here... at least, I recall a work safety video about a guy who hurt himself from too much hurry with a paint sprayer.
    He'd somehow turned it onto himself while painting, and injected paint into the soft tissue of his forearm. Needless to say, he did badly... and therefore was the star of that particular movie.
    Anyways, I don't imagine that soap, hosewater or anything injected into the body's soft tissues can be good.
    How many psi for a paint sprayer anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Works pretty good on skulls when you want to do a euro mount.
    Hey, I did clean the nooks/crannies of a caribou skull with my earlier power washer - effective and efficient.

I have cut my hand with mine trying to hold the small piece I was washing with one hand and the wand in the other. Happens very fast and is quite painful. Great tools though.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    I'm using a 40,000 psi Aqua Miser to strip paint off a barge deck today; thing's a beast.
    Be very careful you don't chew up the wood with it too............very easy to do....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Definite injury potential here... at least, I recall a work safety video about a guy who hurt himself from too much hurry with a paint sprayer.
    He'd somehow turned it onto himself while painting, and injected paint into the soft tissue of his forearm. Needless to say, he did badly... and therefore was the star of that particular movie.
    Anyways, I don't imagine that soap, hosewater or anything injected into the body's soft tissues can be good.
    How many psi for a paint sprayer anyhow?
    I have a buddy, who back in the early 80s was doing some painting with a spray paint gun and the nozzle got clogged so he decided to try and clean it out with the tip of his finger, And ended up shooting some paint into the tip of his index finger all the way into the bone. They ended up having to amputate down to the first knuckle of his index finger.

Might be too much umph with your new one, but they'll blow the scales right off a salmon! I've done this before and as long as you don't get too close they won't damage the filets. Start at the tail and go against the grain, works like a champ.

I deflesh my bear skulls with one so I'm sure it would work on the hide also.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Be very careful you don't chew up the wood with it too............very easy to do....
    Um...yeah. The barge deck's 1/2" steel, and it would probably blast through that if given enough time in one spot....I did try it on a piece of 8x8 dunnage just for fun....cut through it in a few seconds. I love big boy toys
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Um...yeah. The barge deck's 1/2" steel, and it would probably blast through that if given enough time in one spot....I did try it on a piece of 8x8 dunnage just for fun....cut through it in a few seconds. I love big boy toys
    Oopps, I saw deck and didn't see barge. Only thought of wood. The only reason I said it was that I've used one on wood a few times and you really have to be careful. The use of different tips can be useful as well....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Be sure to run the conditioner through it. Especially before long term storage. Don't ask how I know this.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

...salmon have scales?

I've moved on from my pressure washer stage and moved on to a Hotsy HOT pressurized water
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Hmmm... serious

http://www.hotsy.com/Hot-Water-Press...s.aspx?Cid=543, "... Why Choose a Hot Water Pressure Washer?
    You’ll want to make sure you choose a hot water pressure washer if the surface you are cleaning contains any type of grease, grime or oil." Always something new. What you using it for?

Okay, you asked for it. I normally would not post something like this, but it might save someone from some real problems with pressure washers! And yes, they will tear up raft fabric too...

Don't watch it if you get queasy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbx11l2rb2E

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay