Thread: Migrating Moose with the deep snow. (Calfing)

Default Migrating Moose with the deep snow. (Calfing)

We touched on this back when everybody was talking about the cow hunts. This year could be a real killer on the calf population.

First lets touch bases on the deep snow of where these moose are used to going. In the hills where they are heading, the snow melts slower than in the flat lands.

Secound, The bears are not going to be in a really good mood, and anything they see struggling through the snow is fair game.

I wonder how this year will affect the cow&calf population after the cow hunts from the last few years.

As was said before, all it would take is one bad year to flatten the moose population, is this it?

No.....This is NOT it.

What deep snow?

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    What deep snow?

EXACTLY............Last year at this time I had (7') Seven feet of snow. This year down to about 14" and going fast.

Really? Seven feet on may 5th? and this year you have 14" on May 5th? Not sure where you live, but that is quit a contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Really? Seven feet on may 5th? and this year you have 14" on May 5th? Not sure where you live, but that is quit a contrast.
    Last year the total was 15 feet. I live on the south shore of Turnagain Arm.

I was really talking about the interior moose. The weather up here is a two or three weeks behind of the norm. This time last year we were seeing 50's-60's, now we are seeing 30's and barely the 40's with snow still on the ground. I've lived here for 49 years and have never seen this.

So you still have snow, how much is there? Anything less than 24" isn't going to bother them at all. We still have another 3 weeks before calves start dropping anyways

Its going fast today here in delta, but some of the family that went up to the cabin on the first said that there was a good three feet, These pregnat moose should already be at the calving spots by now, we'll just have to see how it plays out.

The next few days will tell.

Don't know how the awaking of the bears will play into this, ( lol ) don't even know if they are awake yet, just one report from the newsminer.

But as we all know, the wolfs don't sleep.

( and also if you look at the bear baiting thread, there was a post about the snow on the Steese. )

I've not seen a spring like this either Elvin. Has us pretty darn worried in terms of what breakup will do. We've had mid-40s the last few days though during the day. Single digits at night. Was 3 feet of snow before it started sinking, which is more than normal for us.

Cows would not be in their calving spots yet. At least not here. They prefer if possible to calve near water. Most here calve right along the river in early June, as the water is their best predation defense.

But yeah, if it turns out to be some freak prolonged breakup and melt-out, it could be interesting. I think we're supposed to get in the 60s this weekend and it is not supposed to freeze at night. So melting will happen pretty fast I imagine.

Yeah I was thinking about you guys Mark when I wrote this, glad you posted.

Usally around here I take the boat ( before the neck thing ) to the cabin in or around the first of May and see all the cows moving through.

I think it was about 6 years ago in late April ( think it was about the 25th), snow was gone I went up there and was sitting around outside the cabin in the evening and watched 4 cows come into the ponds, then when I got up in the morning there were 8 cows in the said ponds in front of the house. By that evening there were only 2 left.

Usally the Goodpasture goes out around May 6th, thats not even going to be close this year.

Stay safe, and get what you can on high ground.