Thread: Bones in sheep and goat feet ?

Default Bones in sheep and goat feet ?

What is the general practice ?
    Leave them and let the taxidermists take care of them ?
    Remove them in the field ? Any one have some tips on removal ?

Depends one how long you will be in the field. For the feet I like a small stiff knive that I can poke around in there to seperate bone from the hoof.. I hang the leg so I can pull down on the hide and keep working it. Stid has a good pic floating around here of him doing a bear foot and its a pretty similar process
    You have to be careful of the skin between the hooves that you don't cut through.. Best to talk it over with your taxi prior to the hunt.

I prefer my clients leave em in so I can get them out without cutting the skin all to pieces.

I just mounted a lifesize Siberian Ibex that the hooves were all but hanging by a thin piece of skin.

Took over a hour just to do the feet when it should have only been about 20 minutes.

Feet bones can also be dangerous to cut out if you dont watch what you are doing. Avery sharp knife can go right through the hoof or the skin & also through you hand or thigh.

Dont get in a hurry when taking ANY feet out .

If you dont know how to skin them out, as mentioned ASK YOUR TAXIDERMIST how HE wants them done.

In most cases like me, they will say to leave em alone till we get em.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks ww.protaxidermy.com

I've always taken them out when skinning. A little practice and they aren't difficult but like RJ says, you can butcher them up pretty good if your not sure what you are doing.

Yeah they are tough. I've taken care of a few , as that was the routine with the outfitter , as our capes are salted throughout the season and all go in at once , maybe a couple of months later. The hoof wall usually gets one slice top to bottom on the inside to be able to get the blade flat across the bottom of the bone.
    The best tool I had was an old Mora knife that is honed down to only about 3/4" wide, but that is lost recently so wondering what tricks you guys had.

I use a trick that some of you might find helpful. A very shart knife helps, I tend to use a scalpel, but they do break very easy if you put any lateral force on the blade. Once I get the skin cut down between the hoof from the back, I cut the back tendon. Then I grab the short bone with a visegrip and use that for leverage in moving the bone around to where I can get the knife down in deep. Once I get as much cut as I can I wrap the hoof(do one side at a time) in a shop rag and then grab that with a pair of pliers. Then twist the outside hoof the opposite direction than the bone while holding the vise grips. The remaining tendon usually will twist off. If not, re-adjust and cut some more then try again.

Either way, don't salt the hoof unless you have all the bones removed.

Hugh