Thread: Home canning in metal cans

Default Home canning in metal cans

I've canned all my life using Mason jars. Salmon and game meat are primarily what I put up. I'm curious about using tin cans, since shipping gifts would be made easier, as would taking a can in the backpack.

I'd like some pros and cons, and some advice about can sealing squipment from an experienced tin canner.

Thanks!

I've always used mason jars as well. Guess the main reason is that while you have to buy new lids, you can reuse the jar and rings over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post

I'd like some pros and cons, and some advice about can sealing squipment from an experienced tin canner.

Thanks!
    Me too!
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Mr. Pid,

Same for me. Used pint and half pint all my canning years and last year inherited an old canner and about 3 cases of cans. After cleaning up the apparatus and getting used to the whole operation I rather enjoyed the process, and didnt have a single sealing problem putting up several cases of meat and fish. However as grandma said, you can use the jars over and over again and I like being able to actually SEE what's inside as well. I guess it is possible to re-flange the cans and recycle them but I've not been inclined thus far. When I take a half pint with me for lunch, I just put a ring on it to insure it wont pop open. Never busted one, but I can see that happening when going through the mail.

My canner is made by Ives-Way, is about 30 years old if not older. They're still made saw one at Walmart last summer. Cans were a little pricey as I recall. Mine still said McKay's hardware on the box and they were like 10 buck a case then!

Update: I found a commercial-grade Ives Way sealer at a local hardware store and got a screaming deal. They're out of the canning products business but had one sealer in the back room. Lucky me! Then I bought a bunch of tall salmon cans at Wal-Mart. These tall cans are just under a buck each. I set the sealer up, tested my seals, and it works like a charm. The only thing I've found different other than the obvious sealing of the cans is the exhaust step, which means you heat the open cans of fish until the internal temp of the fish is 170* before you seal the cans and pressure cook. So far I like this process. My shipping problem is solved. I'm sure my college kid will appreciate the effort.

Smile metal canning

You might check at the Anchorage extention office. They use to have a class on canning with metal cans about this time of the year. I also did find can supplies at the Walmat there. Hope it helps.

Grizz