Thread: Looking to buy...

Default Looking to buy...

So I'm in the market for my first fly fishing outfit and I'm looking at a redington pursuit. From everything I've read it is a solid combo for a good price. I'd probably get a six or eight wt to be used in and around anchorage but also on bigger water. The whole shebang costs about 180. However, I was in a pawn shop yesterday and there was an eight wt "field & stream" rod/reel all set up for 75 bucks, which seems like a pretty good deal... Anyone have any experience with this brand/rod?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!

No comparison on quality. The Redington would be a better deal even if the pawn shop gear was free.

For the uses you describe, I bet you'll be happier with the 8-weight than the 6-weight, especially since you mentioned "on bigger water."

I agree with BrownBear. Starting off with cheap crap gear will not add to your learning curve. I would go with the 6 weight if your only going after rainbows and dollys. If your going after salmon the 8 will be the way for you to go. Over time you will want both. I'd also make sure that the tip is in the fast range so it's not so soft much like a buggy whip.

Spend a little extra and buy a TFO or Echo. Echo did a slight redesign this year on the Ion and may be able to pick one up for $145. I got mine late last year from a shop in OR, the Caddis fly shop The new model runs $190

Echo also has the Echo Solo kit, rod/reel/line/travel case for $170. Lifetime warranty on rod/reel, great setup for the price.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

the ECHO warranty is great one of the best I know about

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I agree with BrownBear. Starting off with cheap crap gear will not add to your learning curve. I would go with the 6 weight if your only going after rainbows and dollys. If your going after salmon the 8 will be the way for you to go. Over time you will want both. I'd also make sure that the tip is in the fast range so it's not so soft much like a buggy whip.
    I have an 8wt Redington. How do I know if I have a "fast range" tip? I've never heard about this before......of course I'll admit I know very little about fly rods.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well I think it's either going to be the redington or the echo solo outfit. Both have good reviews, good warantees and look like they are created about equal. Also, it looks like the price will be approximately the same (within $5)
    Which would you guys choose? I'm new to fly fishing, is one brand significantly better than the other? Is there any big advantage with either outfit?
    Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    the ECHO warranty is great one of the best I know about
    Redington does a good job standing behind their stuff, too. In fact, I broke the top section on a 5wt Classic Trout last spring and sent it in for warranty service, and they sent me a whole new rod. I didn't realize at the time that they were phasing that rod out, but still, it's nice. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Redington or the Echo.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Jibby. I was in your situation last year looking for my first fly fishing combo. I wouldn't recommend Redington at all. I have seen those rods explode in a few peoples face. Not a good deal, and certainly numerous reasons that probably wasn't all that persons fault. However based on that, and several other posts (not trying to knock anyone's gear, everyone has their preference, and if it works for you, then its good) I wouldn't go with Redington. Temple Fork Outfitters is who I go with. They have a great warranty, and their rods are excellent, especially for the price. Some folks even go with them over Sage or Loomis. I would go with a Lamson Reel (your choice, since most of them are all built on the same drag system). Prefer the Guru, but if money is a Limfac then I would go with the Konic. Warranties are good, but if you are having to constantly warranty your stuff, then what fun is that? Hope this helps

You might check Sportsmans if you are still in the market.TFO and Redington are on sale. As for Redington, I own and use them. I had an issue with a rod (my fault) and returned it. For the processing fee, thsent me a new rod! Sage/Redington are at the same place. I can't think of many companies higher regarded than Sage. I'll take all Redington/Sage rods everone wants to get rid of.

I pieced my kit together and I'm really happy with it I got a TFO rod on sale for $100 and a okuma slv reel on sale for $40. But with fishing season upon us I would say either kit will work good. The 8wt is my pick its the 30-06 of fly rods for Alaska.