Thread: bird bangers

Default bird bangers

I am looking for a local source of a Bird Banger pyrotechnic kit. I have a shrike that takes up residence in a bare tree top every year and preys on the birds frequenting the feeder. I see several online sources but the will not ship to Alaska by air for obvious reasons.

Can't help you on a banger, but I was very surprised to hear from my mother-in-law that a mocking bird was preying on small birds on her feeder as well.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Hell, I watched a crazed squirrel grab a chickadee in his mouth and run off with it. He had to be dispatched...something wrong with his wiring.

They use the Bird Bangers at the airports. They explode at about 75 feet with a loud report.

Oh yeah......squirrels are known to be pretty bad. They will eat baby rabbits/hares as well. Swallows absolutely hate them......

Quote Originally Posted by Tcraft View Post
    They use the Bird Bangers at the airports. They explode at about 75 feet with a loud report.
    Yes, they use the bangers a lot at the airports to scare off the geese. A few years back a big military aircraft crashed and killed all aboard just outside of Anchorage when it's engine inhaled a number of geese. So needless to say they have to keep on top of the situation. Have you tried to contact somebody at the airport to see where they get theirs?

What about whistling bottle rockets? That's what I use to keep hawks away from the chickens.

You mmight find some seal bomb shotshells if you get to a cannery store.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Set a trap and take it away from there..far away...pretty easy
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I operate an Airport on the NS for ConocoPhillips. I literally haze 10000 birds or more a season. We use Screamers and Bangers with the Pistols all the time as well as cracker shells, propane cannons, effigies etc.... Some things are not available for the general public since ATF just changed the rules on us. Northern Security Supply is our local supplier. You might be able to buy Screamers and Bangers. http://reedjoseph.com/pyrotechnics.htm If not, I suggest you use bottle rockets which is basically a screamer with a little more control and M-80s in lieu of Bangers. You may be able to launch them with a sling shot. Practice with an un-lit one a few times so you know what to expect and not hurt yourself. If you have some old MRE heaters, break them up, and put in a 2 liter plastic empty soda bottle. Pour about 2 cups of hot water in there, seal the top and put it near the tree. It will start to boil and steam and expand with steam. When she goes off 1-2 minutes normally depending on several factors, it will sound like a 105 Howitzer going off. The bottle will greatly deform and expand as the steam builds. A little suran wrap on the bottle before putting on the cap will help. We use to do this back in my Army Days. It could go off 5 feet infront of you and not get injured except possibly ears since it is very very loud LOL Good luck.