Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could add/change one reg....

Default If you could add/change one reg....

Purely curious, if you could add/change one Alaska hunting reg, what would it be?

Default drop the word " subsistence"?

and put a few more " everybody is equal".

Smile My reg

My new reg. would require everyone to have a pair of binoculars around their neck if they are carrying a scope sighted firearm. A long time ago I realized to many "hunters" are forgetting a scope is a sighting instrument. Binoculars are for seeing whats out there and identifying a target. Anytime someone uses the scope for any thing besides a sighting instrument they are running a risk of covering something with the muzzle they do not want to destroy. If they are going to do that they should read the Alaska Statues and give their firearm to an adult.
    The reg. I would change would be to remove all guiding and non resident hunting of a speices from any area that had a drawing permit in place due to a shortage of animals or being declared a designated trophy area. The citizen/resident of this state should have first crack at it's game population. Our biologists need to be able to manage the animals of Alaska with out any imput/influence from commercial interests and politicians.
    We all have opinions and this is just mine. Good hunting to all of you!

Wink

Drop the non res restrictions ,no guide needed, for sheep, grizzly ect.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I would move the opening date for sheep hunting to Aug. 1st. Since multiple school districts in our state moved their start dates earlier it has made it very difficult for teachers to do much of a hunt. My first day back to work this fall will be Aug. 16th. If sheep hunting started Aug. 1st, all would be well with the world once again.

I would make all GMUs and subunits, MAs, CUAs, and all other hunt area boundaries follow hydrological divides or drainage lines. Most already do but there are a few hunts out there that have some straight lines as part of their boundaries which makes it difficult for hunters in the field to determine where they are without a GPS or careful mapwork.

thing i would change is probably not hunting reg and determined under some other law.
    i would require guides to be able to hunt species they guide for, without a guide! IE: BE AN ALASKA RESIDENT
    other again does not fall under state hunting regs. do away with fed hunting regs and have state regs the only game laws.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    and put a few more " everybody is equal".
    Me too.

Smitty of the North

I'd make salvaging meat on all animals taken under a sport hunting liscence a requirement.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Reg change

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    The citizen/resident of this state should have first crack at it's game population.
    I second that

What about the tourist dollars that end up in Alaskans pockets from mugs like me who have wanted to come to Alaska and hunt as long as my freckle has pointed to the ground.

Have you looked at what they charge us dang foreigners for hunting licences, tags etc.

Thats not even taking into consideration what the actual hunt, airfares, tanning, shipping etc. is gonna cost.

Even to share a little is gonna hurt that much

I do think however (and I have no experience with Alaskan hunting, YET..) the resident only guides is probably a good one. Generally no one knows a patch like someone that lives in it all the time

oz

I have 3 changes

1) Make hunting areas EASILY identifiable so there is no question which one you are hunting in.
    2) Increase licensing fees and decrease non resident hunting (make non-residents have to draw to hunt here with a fee to the State). That way we could get a bit more enforcement in the field paid for.
    3) Drop the Griz restriction from bait stations in all areas.

I know #2 won't be popular but hey they are my regs I am writing

Probably less painfull to go poke a hornets nest with a stick but anyway.. What is with the negativity toward non resident hunters, it sounds like evry non res hunter that comes there takes home a couple of women, a semi-trailer full of game and a barrow full of Alaskan dollars.

Just curious

Default full meat salvage

Meat salvage on all sport license harvested animals is a great and noble idea, powder monk. Please let me have your address and I'll drop off all my fox and coyote carcasses. Cleanly skinned and gutted, all ready for the roaster! I'll still keep the furs though. If you don't wish to sample this muskily flavored meat, I will continue to use it as bait in trap sets.

As to the regulation I would like to see changed: its not really a regulation, but a definition, and mind set. First part: eliminate "subsistence" and "sport" in reference to hunting. A true subsistence lifestyle no longer exists- just look at our life expectancy now as opposed to what it was in subsistence days. Sport hunting is a misnomer, as sport hunters are required by law to keep the meat on most game they harvest, and that is also the primary purpose of most sport hunters- to harvest meat. Meat harvest is the primary goal of a true subsistence hunter also- thus we should make no distinction between the two hunts. Second, replace "fair chase" with "ethical". Fair chase is a very vague concept, with a different meaning to all. I hunt ethically, in ways that I consider fair chase, but it can be argued that bear baiting is not fair chase. It cannot be argued successfully with me that the way I bait and hunt that bait is not ethical, however.

Make the regs a lot more liberal on bear hunting, both brown and black, throughout the state.

Default change 50 inch 4 rule

i would do away with the 50 inch rule and the 4 tine rule and just go with a 3 tine rule . it is simple no guessing on size and most people can count to 3

Allow Griz over bait......
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

i would like to see the guide requirements for non-res removed. However, I know that is unrealistic, so I would like to see the degree of kindred increased to allow more relatives. I find it disturbing that I have to get a guide for brown bear and sheep for my cousin, whom I hunt with regularly.

adfrasier, in some states people's cousin's might actually be their brother also or maybe their dad too. That could make things really confusing to enforce.

Serously now though, Interesting thought on making non-residents draw and increase resident fees. I for one would be willing to pay more if it opened up more hunting oppurtunity here for some of those hard to draw areas. Lots of questions would need to be answered though. Just an off the cuff intial thought though.

I'd like to be able to take my nephew. I can take my brother, but not his son... Doesn't make much sense to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast