Thread: Expensive problem changing oil

Default Expensive problem changing oil

I use a (cheap) vacuum oil extractor to change oil in my GM marine block 5.7 V8, after changing the oil last year I discovered the dip stick would stop about 8 inches short of fill insertion. The plastic tube had broken off and after I pulled the manifolds on that side and saw the tube disappear under the oil pan I decided this fix was above "my pay grade". SHIP in Seward had to pull the engine to get the broken plastic out of the dipstick tube. My Mechanic pointed out that there is a 7/8 " male fitting at the top of the dipstick tube and I am in the market for a real oil extractor that will not cost a days labor if it breaks.

The dip stick tube ..... with the dip stick removed ..... is a good way to draw the oil out for an oil change. And like your mechanic said ..... the top end of the dip stick tube is threaded with a male thread .... about the size for a garden hose. I used that thread connection for years to change the oil in my 'big blocks'. I found the easiest way to do it was with an inexpensive hand pump .... with the suction end screwed on to the threaded dip stick tube and the discharge end in a five gallon bucket. Bringing the motor up to operating temp first makes this pretty easy. I had one of the expensive 12v electric oil suckers that let you slide a small tube down the dip stick tube ...... and clip to the battery for power source ..... pain in the butt. Was less messy and faster doing with hand pump.

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-34060-0...extractor+pump

I use that same jabsco pump.
    Bought mine at the gear shed in Homer.
    It works good and threads right onto those garden hose threads and has good suction.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

When the engine was out why didn't they put a drain hose off the bottom of the oil pan ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Hi potbuilder

That would have been a good thought but they use the suction method with the garden hose attachment. How does the oil pan drain work?

It's an extesion on the oil plug that allows you to stick the tube out the drain plug to drain the oil as usual. Slick and easy, would have been good to do.
    BK

Unless your boat is like mine and you can't get to the drain from the inside of the engine compartment. Can't even see it nor under the engine without using a extension mirror.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

12v pump that sucks the oil through the tube that is hooked to the oil pan. take the tube and run out the drain plug hole, it has a threaded cap on the end, remove the cap, thread the pump hose on. Takes about 10 minutes and done. It is a home made contraption, but not a drop of oil spilled in the boat. Last run of the year i do this at the boat ramp, usally the first week on October, the oil is nice and hot and flows like water. pump the oil into a 5 gallon gas can. Take it to the dump and dispose of there for free. This may not work on a firbergalss ocean boat..... works slick on an inboard jet.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Oil drain kit, (hose with plug) connects to the drain pan in place of the drain plug, if your garboard drain is big enough and you have the boat out of the water then you can push the "whip" through the hole & let er drain into a bucket. If still in the water you can connect a vacuum extractor to the end of the whip, at least you know you will get all the oil out.

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/search2/finditform.php
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Those are definitely the way to go ........ just have to remember to put them on when the engine is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    12v pump that sucks the oil through the tube that is hooked to the oil pan. take the tube and run out the drain plug hole, it has a threaded cap on the end, remove the cap, thread the pump hose on. Takes about 10 minutes and done. It is a home made contraption, but not a drop of oil spilled in the boat. Last run of the year i do this at the boat ramp, usally the first week on October, the oil is nice and hot and flows like water. pump the oil into a 5 gallon gas can. Take it to the dump and dispose of there for free. This may not work on a firbergalss ocean boat..... works slick on an inboard jet.
    Why won't it work on a fiberglass boat ??? They have engines with oil pans don't they ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

My boat is only 8'6" wide, with a big fish box on either side of the engine compartment, believe it was designed for the inline 6 cyl diesel by volvo. This means that the V8 has almost no clearence on either side, with room for the 31 house battery and other accessorys in front ... (I hope the folks at AMDS can sleep well at night). Very close and tight, dropped an 1/4" socket wrench down there and 1/2 of me was in the front of the engine compartment with a flashlight, mirror batting at my socket wrench with a stick to get close enough to get a hand on it. Engine compartment probably tighter than Alaskanmutt.

How do you use the drain plug as a engine compartment drian when not changing oil? We go out in some real snotty weather with lot's of rain and even with a good dog house I still get some water in the bilge, Do I just rely on the bilge pump to get rid of water?

Hey Jim how is it going ... ?
    Last edited by ocnfish; 05-06-2013 at 21:35. Reason: grammar

Ocnfish,
    The drain end of the hose slips out the back of the plug in the hull and you put a bucket under it and drain the pan.
    It's a very common method.
    BK

In a lot of boats .... this drain hose plumbed to the oil pan drain plug may not provide a gravity drain because there may not be space to get a container in the engine compartment to catch the oil ... and in bigger boats ..... would require some kind of an extension to be long enough to reach outside of the hull. But, the fact that it connects to the oil pan drain ..... means you get to draw all of the oil out when changing the oil. Connecting this to a hand operated vacuum pump is pretty painless. You don't want to drain oil into the bilge ..... not a good thing.

For the confined space that I have this is how I am going to do it .... old garden hose and existing hardware from the Pella, had to drill out the connector hose to tube, problem solved I thinkIMG_0075.jpg

One method I use to drain an engine in a tight spot is to put three plastics bag one inside the other and place them on the bottom of the boat. Open the drain and let the oil go into the bags, after you finish remove the bags full of oil. It's that simple.

Potbuilder

We had an older bayliner and the plug was way down on the transome "v" that you would have needed quite bit of hose to get to it, through the drain hole and out the transome. With the length of the hose and gravity feed for the oil--- forget it. Heck with my 350 jet when i used to do it by gravity feed into a 5 gallon bucket. I would start it before i went to bed at night and by the morning it would have stopped dripping. About 10 hours. i tried every thing from a loose filler cap and oil filters to a light bulb in as close to the pan as i could get. still an overnight job. My set up is what AKGramps shows in his post.

Hey Bill!! good to see your still around.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I have a reversible oil change pump mounted on the side of the John Deere, sucks the 8 gallons of oil out of the pan in less than 5 minutes then pumps the new oil in. Takes me longer to set up the empty jugs than it does to suck out the oil.
    20130509_202512[1].jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692