Thread: Copper river question?

Default Copper river question?

So I want to dip the copper river this year. I have been told its lethal and you won't come home. That its a rushing torrent of a river. However the salmon that come out of it are amazing and I would love a freezer full. So my question is how?
    I'm not against paying a transporter or guided for a day but would rather DIY if that's possible. Do I need a harness and climbing rig to safely get to the fish? And finally anything else u can think of please let me know.

First timers: seriously consider Copper River Charters. You'll learn loads and be put in a spot that has potential. IMO it's better to learn directly from someone else than try to figure this river out on your own.

As far as timing goes, check out my site listed below.

Also, this forum has much info to mine in previous years' threads.

Perfect thanks.

I very much recommend using the charter. Both Sam and mark are great guys and will put you on fish if there are fish to be had. The 110 dollar price tag seems pretty cheap compared to packing 30 fish up the canyon walls by hand.

Also recommend the charter, but there are a few tricks to making that the best experience possible, too. It's very popular, first of all. The first few weeks seem to be the worst for wait-times. It's not a reservation system, so I highly recommend getting there with a day to blow before you get to fish at all. You put a net or cooler as a place holder in the line and then show up the early the next morning. There are limited holes, so they only do so many trips in a day. The closer to the front of the line you are, the better. The good holes go first. Also suggest going with at least one other person, largely for safety. I've done it alone a few times, but it's always comforting to have someone else around. Also passes the time if it's slow and speeds things up if it's hot. One person can net while the other deals with clipping and stringing fish.

You don't have to have ropes and harnesses, but there are a few spots where you would. You can ask for a semi-safe spot. They've always accommodated my requests for this. I would rather miss a few fish than die, and it's harder than you might think to fish while roped off. Some of the spots people fish from the cliffs terrify me just looking at them and I would never, ever try them, while others are pretty easy and safe to fish, so your own judgement and the ability to man-up and say "no" to a spot that might be good for fishing but potentially deadly to you are your keys to surviving your trip.

It's really fun when the fish are in...an experience you won't forget.

Thanks. Ultimately a fish is not worth my life. I think I need to go with someone that goes regularly the first time. And thanks for the advice on putting something in line for me.