Thread: keeping the bugs off the dogs- ideas?

Default keeping the bugs off the dogs- ideas?

So, we're gearing up for our annual trek to our remote cabin site. YAY! I'm looking for ideas- what works, what doesn't for keeping the squitos off the dogs? Is there a magic cure? How about for kittys? We got a kitten recently & we're taking him this summer too. The reviews I've read about the flea type drops are very mixed.

DOG: See if you can find Pre Strike up there, then use as directed. If not, take a bandana, spray it down well with Deep Woods Off and tie it around neck. Do not use anything containing DEET directly on the skin/fur, though. Just on the bandana. CAT: not a lot available for cats that is safe, especially younger ones. VERY easy to poison a kitten by mistake. Avon Skin So Soft I would feel comfortable using. Mainly going to have the problem on the ears, so rub some on the ears and back of the neck. You should have some local Avon dealers on line, or order from eBay. Adam's Spray is something you can use on both dogs and cats. Look at feed stores, pet stores, Wallyworld, etc. It's a blue spray bottle.
    Fly fishing makes me herl

I'm at work and don't have access to the name of the product we use, however, we picked it up at the local farm store in the valley and it's made for horses. We dab it on a rag and then wipe down the dogs neck and ears with it. Works well plus it's all natural, no chemicals.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I'm at work and don't have access to the name of the product we use, however, we picked it up at the local farm store in the valley and it's made for horses. We dab it on a rag and then wipe down the dogs neck and ears with it. Works well plus it's all natural, no chemicals.
    BK
    Ive done this with my dogs as well. I also can't remember what it's called but it worked pretty well. Usually, the black headed dogs get really nailed and the lighter colored dogs don't really need to be treated, but YMMV

What those guys said. Go down to a feed store and see what they have for horses. My dog usually only gets bit on his face.

The bandana idea sounds like a good one too

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    BK
    If you find out what the name is of the stuff please post it up. My yellow had to have eye surgery as a pup and now his eye constantly waters. The bugs really go after that.....poor guy.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'll be watching too. We don't have a feedstore- I'm on an island in SE. =) I tried to order some stuff from Amazon- but it wouldn't ship to AK. If I can narrow down a product or 2- perhaps I can get something decent ordered. I'll get some bandanas too- I'm betting at least 1 of the dogs will peel it off.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    I'll be watching too. We don't have a feedstore- I'm on an island in SE. =) I tried to order some stuff from Amazon- but it wouldn't ship to AK. If I can narrow down a product or 2- perhaps I can get something decent ordered. I'll get some bandanas too- I'm betting at least 1 of the dogs will peel it off.
    Roll it up into the shape of a collar and tie it on, instead of the triangle shape. The dogs don't notice it as much that way. Remember when tying it to leave 3-fingers space so not too tight.

If you can find it, Buhach powder works good and it's all natural pyrethrum flowers. My dog is really tough and I don't baby her. If all the wild creatures can handle mosquitoes, so can she.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

What breed? Size? You will have the most problem on face/ears, hence the bandana suggestion. You can also just spray your hands with bug spray and lightly rub ears and top of head. Usually doesn't cause any reactions. But if we are talking about a 4 lb Chihuahua, may be a different story. Kittens - ear tips and corners of eyes. There are some pyrethrin-type flea collars that will repel flies as well, available everywhere, but make sure it says KITTEN on the package or do not use it.

There's always a few/several dogs at camp. =) OUR dogs are a chihuahua- but he's 15 pounds (Alaskanized!) & a Beagle mix. The Beagle has never been to camp- but the squitos up the river munched our tan chihuahua & the black lab at camp. This will be kittys first trip up too. Hate to see the bugs getting them in the face (or dragging them into the cabin).

I bought a dozen bandanas- they came today- and I will try to get some citronella spray & some stuff at the store rated for the right size/type of animal. I've seen Adams, something 50 & a few others...