Thread: Lets keep it real, people.

Default Lets keep it real, people.

Stuff like this is what is killing us. By us I mean everyone.

"And Les Anderson put Soldotna, Alaska on the map when he landed the World Record King Salmon on the Kenai River, weighing in at an impressive 97 pounds 4 ounces! Some believe this record king will never be broken, but every year there are kings over 100 pounds caught in commercial fishing nets at the mouth of the Kenai River, so we know that the record passes under our boats each and every
    year. For this reason (among others) anglers travel from all over the world to fish for world class Kenai River King salmon in the lower stretches of the Kenai River "

Realllllly?

Check it out

http://akfishology.com/king.html

And the main reason to go to Fairbanks is the hot springs.

"Come to the Kenai and kill a giant King salmon! Better act quick before they're all gone!"
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Not sure of your point...? What's killing us?

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    "For this reason (among others) anglers travel from all over the world to fish for world class Kenai River King salmon in the lower stretches of the Kenai River "

A guide marketing his business...?

but every year there are kings over 100 pounds caught in commercial fishing nets at the mouth of the Kenai River

or the commercial fishermen...?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    What's killing us?
    Greed and ignorance.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Greed and ignorance.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I am guessing this thread is about how to get FREE advertising. Gag'me with a silver spoon.

Smithb I see where you are coming from.
    Why do we continue to advertise and promote the Kenai King fishery when we know it is in such bad shape?
    Then again I think it is amazing that you see all these charter brochures for both Kings and Halibut with big fish on the cover. I think many of these tourists seeing this all the time must assume that big fish are much more common then they really are.
    Then they get dissapointed to learn he average sized fish is much much smaller.
    I wouldn't feel bad keeping a 70#+ if i thought they were commplace. If I knew they were a rare occurance and that king salmon in general were suffering I would be more likely to not fish for them or at a minimum practice C&R.
    It must be hard as a river guide to have to face the possibility of fishing closures. They may not want to put off potential customers with the talk of such things. Then again it is a business they got into.
    I work in the oil industry my income is stable. I made the choice to work in this industry.
    I guess a big issue here is can we really regulate how people advertise their business? Can we tell them not to promote this dying fishery as much as they always have?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

1. There are no commercial nets at the mouth of the Kenai river. They are in the inlet. Big difference.

2. 100lb Kings are not caught anywhere every year. Do they even exist? To imply that these commercial nets are catching them all the time is pretty disingenuous given that the average weight of the kings they catch is 20lbs. Don't suppose the 'friggin gillnets' get blamed at all for a slow day on the river on that boat.

Those were my only points

Red face Duh . . .

. . Don't suppose the 'friggin gillnets' get blamed at all for a slow day on the river on that boat. . .

Can't count the number of times I've heard some yahoo, fishing 25-30 miles upriver, complaining that "there ain't no fish 'cause the nets are out today."

How can such ignorance be answered . . .

Stuff like this is what is killing us. By us I mean everyone.

"And Les Anderson put Soldotna, Alaska on the map when he landed the World Record King Salmon on the Kenai River, weighing in at an impressive 97 pounds 4 ounces! Some believe this record king will never be broken, but every year there are kings over 100 pounds caught in commercial fishing nets at the mouth of the Kenai River, so we know that the record passes under our boats each and every
    year. For this reason (among others) anglers travel from all over the world to fish for world class Kenai River King salmon in the lower stretches of the Kenai River "

Realllllly?

Check it out

http://akfishology.com/king.html
    Been here long have ya...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!