Thread: Snugger heater install

Default Snugger heater install

picked up one of the snugger heaters off ebay this winter finally got time to install. it cae with a basic install kit for a truck. i had to order a thru hull & i also found some silicon wrapped exhaust sleeve.

my boat didnt leave me with alot of options for placement. i used 2" abs plastic to route the heat & placed a vent in the middle of my dash to help keep the windows warm also have a "y" in the line i can rotate around. hooked up a 5 gal jerry jug i had in the shed. just used some heavy rubber to make a grommet & a large washer. placed the fuel pump in a small pelican box that was laying around & placed under the gunwale. i originally had them in the cabin close to heater but the fuel pump was a bit louder than i wanted.

for now i have the fuel jug under the gunnel also, it movable if i dont like it there. the fuel pump is still a bit noisy but better than right next to ya.
    i did have to wrap the exhaust pipe several times with 2" exhaust wrap to get it so i felt like it wasnt going to burn anything down.

i placed the exhaust thru hull up on my cabin wall about midway up & found a 90 bend thru hull fitting online. i wasnt wanting to go out thru the hull & worry about water wave splash.
    overall if i can get several yrs out of it i'll be happy. time will tell how rugged & well built it is but for 1/3 the cost for something i'll only be using a handfull of times a year i'm pleased

Looks awesome. I posted earlier about the snuggers AFTER I bought my Espar. Good to hear you are running one. Hope it's as dependable as the Espar has proven to be.
    Keep an eye on the outlet heat temp on that PVC as I hear they can approach 180* and folks have commented that substituting duct work can possibly melt inferior products. Just an FYI.
    BK

thanks....i'll be watching the heat outlet temps for sure....i believe it was your post on the snuggers that got me looking into them, thanks!!, time will tell in the future how durable they are.....for my little cabin this should work well without breaking the bank

I'm hooking my Espar up in a week. Your fuel tank is exactly what I had in mind.
    Appreciate the close-up pics. Do you plan to crack the vent on the other side of the tank to let air in?
    Now I just have to take the time get 'er done!
    BK

yes i cracked the vent....only bad part is i have to disconnect the fuel hose to re-fill, but it's not that big of a deal...prob wont be filling to often anyhow. i like the portability of it too

Would like to hear more about the heater. Have u had it out and using it in the cooler weather we have now? I just installed a D-2 espar in a 24' olyimpic a couple of days ago and at 33' the boat gets hot in a short time. Was hoping the heater u have is just as good. Let us know how it works. Nice to see something different. Thanx