Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interesting.

Default interesting.

Arne Fuglvog: From Murkowski aide to federal inmate to fisheries lobbyist

Alaska Dispatch May 3, 2013

Share on emailEmail Print

Text Size -A +A

Convicted Alaska fish pirate Arne Fuglvog, the former fisheries advisor to U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski who was ordered to serve jail time and pay $150,000 for overfishing in Alaska waters, has reportedly found a new vocation as lobbyist for several Northwest commercial fishing companies. According to Open Secrets, a website that tracks campaign and lobbying disclosures, Fuglvog is now representing four Alaska and Washington-based fishing companies, under the name Coastal Resource Strategies, a limited liability company that lists Fuglvog as a "governing person" on its Washington state-issued business license. The license was filed Aug. 23, 2012, less than two weeks after Fuglvog was released from prison, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons' inmate tracker.

Related:
    Oregon man sentenced for commercial halibut fraud on Fuglvog testimony
    Former federal fisheries regulator Arne Fuglvog sentenced to prison

Fuglvog, who originally hails from the Southeast Alaska community of Petersburg, served his time at a prison in another Petersburg, this one in Virginia. His sentence there began March of 2012. The prison sentence was just one part of a punishment related to a misdemeanor violation of the Lacey Act, which combats the illegal sale of wildlife, fish and plants. As part of a plea deal, Fuglvog pleaded guilty to taking more than twice his permitted limit of sablefish in 2005, then claiming he harvested the fish from different Alaska waters. He was able to sell the catch for about $100,000.

In addition to his prison sentence, Fuglvog was ordered to pay a $50,000 fine and to give another $100,000 to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. As part of his plea deal, Fuglvog also cooperated with the government. Eventually, he testified against an Oregon-based halibut longliner who was similarly convicted of lying about where he caught his fish.

Now, Fuglvog is apparently trying to start over in a different, though still political, role. According to lobbying reports for the first quarter of 2013, Fuglvog is now working for at least four commercial fishing companies that are based in Seattle but operate in Alaska waters, including the Gulf of Alaska and the Bering Sea:

The Kodiak Daily Mirror reports that Fuglvog has been in contact with Sen. Mark Begich's office. Begich is the chair of a Senate subcommittee that oversees fisheries and oceans, among other things. The Mirror reports that Fuglvog officially filed as a lobbyist on Feb. 1, 2013.

Default pot or kettle...

Gosh - from what I've read in this forum for years only the KRSA is associated with people of less than spotless reputations and backgrounds. According to many, only the KRSA members spread lies and half-truths.

Now it looks like the commercial guys are willing to embrace people that outright lie and even break the fisheries laws and regulations. But I'm sure the commercial fishermen and their supporters will come up with some justification for hiring this felon to speak for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Arne Fuglvog: From Murkowski aide to federal inmate to fisheries lobbyist

Alaska Dispatch May 3, 2013

Share on emailEmail Print

Text Size -A +A

Convicted Alaska fish pirate Arne Fuglvog, the former fisheries advisor to U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski who was ordered to serve jail time and pay $150,000 for overfishing in Alaska waters, has reportedly found a new vocation as lobbyist for several Northwest commercial fishing companies. According to Open Secrets, a website that tracks campaign and lobbying disclosures, Fuglvog is now representing four Alaska and Washington-based fishing companies, under the name Coastal Resource Strategies, a limited liability company that lists Fuglvog as a "governing person" on its Washington state-issued business license. The license was filed Aug. 23, 2012, less than two weeks after Fuglvog was released from prison, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons' inmate tracker.

Related:
    Oregon man sentenced for commercial halibut fraud on Fuglvog testimony
    Former federal fisheries regulator Arne Fuglvog sentenced to prison

Fuglvog, who originally hails from the Southeast Alaska community of Petersburg, served his time at a prison in another Petersburg, this one in Virginia. His sentence there began March of 2012. The prison sentence was just one part of a punishment related to a misdemeanor violation of the Lacey Act, which combats the illegal sale of wildlife, fish and plants. As part of a plea deal, Fuglvog pleaded guilty to taking more than twice his permitted limit of sablefish in 2005, then claiming he harvested the fish from different Alaska waters. He was able to sell the catch for about $100,000.

In addition to his prison sentence, Fuglvog was ordered to pay a $50,000 fine and to give another $100,000 to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. As part of his plea deal, Fuglvog also cooperated with the government. Eventually, he testified against an Oregon-based halibut longliner who was similarly convicted of lying about where he caught his fish.

Now, Fuglvog is apparently trying to start over in a different, though still political, role. According to lobbying reports for the first quarter of 2013, Fuglvog is now working for at least four commercial fishing companies that are based in Seattle but operate in Alaska waters, including the Gulf of Alaska and the Bering Sea:

The Kodiak Daily Mirror reports that Fuglvog has been in contact with Sen. Mark Begich's office. Begich is the chair of a Senate subcommittee that oversees fisheries and oceans, among other things. The Mirror reports that Fuglvog officially filed as a lobbyist on Feb. 1, 2013.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default interesting.

"Interesting" is one word for it. Also "classic", "typical", "rich", "disgusting"....

But where else would one expect a crooked fisherman with political aspirations to end up after he got out of the slammer?

The real disgusting thing about it is the fact that he apparently moved into his new job as lobbyist less than 10 days after his release. Obviously, he has had this deal in the works for quite some time. This speaks volumes to the lack of integrity of the comm fish companies who've hired him. What can be said for a collection of companies who apparently embrace and reward criminals, criminal activity, and a blatant disregard for the health of the resource as their business modus operandi?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    This speaks volumes to the lack of integrity of the comm fish companies who've hired him. What can be said for a collection of companies who apparently embrace and reward criminals, criminal activity, and a blatant disregard for the health of the resource as their business modus operandi?
    Indeed it does. I'm disgusted that the guy is working in something connected to commercial fishing again, as he most certainly does not represent commercial fishing or commercial fishermen - only three apparently foolish companies.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    "Interesting" is one word for it. Also "classic", "typical", "rich", "disgusting"....

But where else would one expect a crooked fisherman with political aspirations to end up after he got out of the slammer?

The real disgusting thing about it is the fact that he apparently moved into his new job as lobbyist less than 10 days after his release. Obviously, he has had this deal in the works for quite some time. This speaks volumes to the lack of integrity of the comm fish companies who've hired him. What can be said for a collection of companies who apparently embrace and reward criminals, criminal activity, and a blatant disregard for the health of the resource as their business modus operandi?

Yes, it's too bad that our entire system is so corrupted by lies, shady tactics, hidden spreadsheets, and special-interest agendas.

What can be said for any business/es or non-profit, conservation organization that employs such?

Throw all the bums out and leave the management of our fisheries to our local ADF&G Advisory Committees and the Board of Fisheries.

All others just stay away!

Back when I served on the Kenai/Soldotna Advisory Committee, we all sat in meeting after meeting after meeting through the years, reading proposals, commenting on proposals, writing proposals and more. When it came time for BoF, KRSA got more air time with BoF than our committee could ever hope for. After that BoF meeting (can't recall the year), I and two others all resigned at the next Advisory Committee meeting in disgust. Got lots better ways to waste my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ...he most certainly does not represent commercial fishing or commercial fishermen - only three apparently foolish companies.
    One would certainly hope not, and it was not my intent to imply so. But it sure is a head scratcher. One would think the commercial fishing industry would loudly denounce the likes of this guy and attempt to distance themselves from him and his actions as an example of their practices. Instead, some companies embrace him and make him their advocate. It makes you wonder.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Hello, Mr. Fox, would you mind watching the henhouse for us? We'll pay you handsomely."

What could possibly go wrong???

Could it be a big thanks for not ratting them out for buying fish from him for many years?

In politics, being convicted probably raises his credibility..

Now that I've taken my cheap shot.. is anybody really suprised? It's basically a goldmine swimming around out there, and having the right people, who know the right people, who knows the secrets of the right people, keeps the money flowing in. Fisheries is all about politics. It's why high dollar fisheries, despite waste, keep fishing.

If I were a commercial fishing company, that depended on very unclean fishing methods, I'd want a guy like Arne on my side. He was a big shot before he got "caught".

So in the end, the small guys suffer as they don't have the "Arnes" representing them. Mom and pop trollers, longliners, charters, crabbers, etc all give way to Big Seafood.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    . . in the end, the small guys suffer as they don't have the "Arnes" representing them. Mom and pop trollers, longliners, charters, crabbers, etc all give way to Big Seafood.

". . . all give way to the big money of well-funded, special interests . . period . ."

And that's as true of sport-fishing special interests as it is of commercial fishing interests.

Keep in mind that sport-fishing too is driven by commercial interests.

Well I opened the can or worms, might as well throw some cold water on it.

Mr Fuglvog has paid his debt to society with his jail time right? And I have a feeling he can’t fish in Alaska due to his crime. What job can he get? Currently as far as I know there is now law prohibiting a felon from being a lobbyist……..not many laws on that at all. So it’s somewhat dumb to blame people for doing what they are allowed to do. However, the great thing is you can if you want.

On if he got this job as some sort of kickback……maybe. I have no idea, but I doubt it was related to his crime. From what I know those four companies are not involved heavily with sablefish. I imagine they thought he was good at the politics game, and must be a good speaker. So they hired him. I just find the whole thing interesting in what we allow to go on. If I were on a different side of the table maybe I’d feel pretty different about Arni.

Even though he only "officially" represents 3 companies, the reality is he will represent commercial fishermen as a whole in perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Indeed it does. I'm disgusted that the guy is working in something connected to commercial fishing again, as he most certainly does not represent commercial fishing or commercial fishermen - only three apparently foolish companies.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Even though he only "officially" represents 3 companies, the reality is he will represent commercial fishermen as a whole in perception.

And now you know how Joe Fisherman views KRSA . . ;-)

Default all in the same boat...?

The amazing thing to me that the small guys and their supporters - at least on this forum - would still defend the big comm guys with their last breath!

Over the years whenever I've posted something negative about commercial fisheries the outcry from the small guys is quick and vocal. - the small guys will not hear, see, nor know no evil about the big comm guys. I'm strictly a on-my own sport fisherman and I don't defend other sport fishermen, dip netters, guides, the KRSA, or other group where I disagree or don't respect their ethics or practices. I have to wonder if all the commercial fishermen aren't all birds of the same feather, yet I know most small guys are honest, decent, hard working guys like myself.

It will be very interesting how the small guys respond in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    In politics, being convicted probably raises his credibility..

Now that I've taken my cheap shot.. is anybody really suprised? It's basically a goldmine swimming around out there, and having the right people, who know the right people, who knows the secrets of the right people, keeps the money flowing in. Fisheries is all about politics. It's why high dollar fisheries, despite waste, keep fishing.

If I were a commercial fishing company, that depended on very unclean fishing methods, I'd want a guy like Arne on my side. He was a big shot before he got "caught".

So in the end, the small guys suffer as they don't have the "Arnes" representing them. Mom and pop trollers, longliners, charters, crabbers, etc all give way to Big Seafood.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

and many guides view KRPGA, and how many joe fishermen view KAFC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    And now you know how Joe Fisherman views KRSA . . ;-)

Hmmm, did the four companies that hired Arne think that this info would not come out? Rhetorical question. But it makes one wonder if they will keep him on now that it's known.

Sure, he served his time, paid his debt and all that, as far as what the court found him guilty of. And no doubt he still has many connections in D.C. and there is no law against him lobbying. But still, it makes the companies that hired him, and commfish in general, look about as good as if they'd hired Jack Abramoff.

Amazing,...and a pretty sad commentary for sure

Sounds to me like those companies made the obvious deduction
    "that guy,...knows how to play the system,..."

I don't see the jailtime served, but it sure hasn't been long,...
    so, what, a few months, less than year ? and I can suppose this,...
    $150,000 in fines, for guy like that,...is not a heavy hit
    (just the illegally caught fish were worth $100,000,..???)

and he was caught quite a few years after the IFQ program began
    and knew others doing the same
    (enough about the practice to get the other guy convicted)

hmmm,...
    I know, innocent til proven guilty an all,...but wouldnt you wonder,
    how much he got away with since 1995 ,...when the program began ??

I guess,...in the world of big time fish politics,...
    that can actually look like a guy you want playing on your side
    (not to miss, the apparent connections he must have,...)

Truly a Sad state of affairs,....and reflecting on far more than just commercial fisherman
    but all the way up to our "appointed," Senatorial representative.

I wonder what she will have to say,...??
    probably not much, right ??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Pretty pathetic indeed. But sadly, not surprising.
    There's a lot of money at stake with the Big Boys in the corporate fishing bidness, and I've little doubt that not far below the surface of this, Ben Stevens is part of the dynamic.

Absolutely disgusting.

Be it Commercial or Sport Fishing, when big money hires, or is represented by corrupt folks, it tarnishes and affects all of us who utilize the resource.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    . . Be it Commercial or Sport Fishing, when big money hires, or is represented by corrupt folks, it tarnishes and affects all of us who utilize the resource.

Does anyone recall Alan Borass' ADN column (8/4/07):

"Lisa's land was too close to lobbyists
    Powerful lobbyists in the arms, oil, mining and tourist industries are invited and they come to get close to senators."

Prof. Borass' column was about Senator Murkowski's aborted purchase of Kenai River waterfront land from Bob Penny at "about $100,000 under market value and constituted an illegal gift meant to influence a U.S. senator."

The system is rotten to the core.

Keep in mind Fuglvog is lobbying on behalf of four companies, not the commercial fishing industry. To say the commercial fishing industry condones and embraces Fuglvog and his lobbying, is silly and small-minded.

We see things like this all the time...convicted counterfeiters, robbers, and fruads working for the FBI, convicted DUI alcoholics teaching AA classes, convicted drug abusers lecturing DARE classes in schools, or how about the convicted murderer now professing at Columbia Universtiy who was also involved in weather underground bombings of the Pentagon, US Capital, and NYPD headquarters. It is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    The amazing thing to me that the small guys and their supporters - at least on this forum - would still defend the big comm guys with their last breath!...It will be very interesting how the small guys respond in this thread!
    I don't know anyone on this forum who has or will defended Fuglvog or any company condoning his actions. If there is any honesty in what you say, I'm sure you would be decent enough to reference a specific example where someone on this forum has defended Fuglvog?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast