Thread: 2013 Freshwater Guide Logbook Program

Default 2013 Freshwater Guide Logbook Program

So I was looking around and found the 2013 Freshwater Guide Logbook Program:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDF...4A.2013.03.pdf

I found the schedule quite depressing. 2013 Logbook data isn't scheduled to be published until October-November 2014, After the 2014 season!!! Not suggesting that the guides aren't diligent in filling out their logbooks, or that the folks at ADFG aren't working their butts off. It just seems that this data is underutilized. It could provide realtime, accurate data about inriver abundance and usage trends, and it's a shame we don't have a better system. If commercial harvest records are available within hours of an opener, a better system can't be that difficult. Hopefully a 'conservation based' sportfishing organization 'dedicated to ensuring the sustainability' of our rivers has proposed some solutions for the 2014 BOF meeting. Seems they were a little too busy trying to destroy the setnetters at the statewide meeting
    SCHEDULES, BUDGET AND PERSONNEL
    The schedule for each of the tasks associated with the 2013 sport fishing Freshwater logbook reporting are identified below:
    November -December 2012
    Develop and finalize the 2013 freshwater logbooks. Regional changes were incorporated and the final draft of the 2013 logbook was prepared and distributed to Regional Management Coordinators in Southeast and Southcentral. Bids were obtained and the contract awarded for printing and distribution of year 2013 logbooks.
    October December 2012
    Prepare printing contracts and deliver electronic logbook and license templates to printer.
    February 2013
    Logbooks are delivered to regional and area ADF&G offices.
    April 2013
    Logbook data entry screens and scanning software are available.
    May -August 2013
    Daily follow-up phone calls are conducted to operators and guides who have missing, erroneous or illegible information on their logbooks.
    January 15, 2014
    Final cut off for the receipt of 2013 logbook data sheets.
    March 30, 2014
    2013 logbook data entry will be completed.
    April -May 2014
    Preliminary 2013 data available for review by AMBs. Logbook verification and comparison study conducted.
    May June 2014
    Comments from AMB reviews are due back to RTS
    August September 2014
    Final "publishable" data will become available upon request.
    October-November 2014
    Final results will be published in a divisional report.

I mentioned this in an earlier post, with the technology available today we should be doing our logbook data on an phone app and give F&G real time data. We have to turn our log book data in weekly by regulation, otherwise we are subject to fines/tickets.

seems like it should be easy. The observer program now uses a computer and call in system for all boats over 40 foot to log trips for observer selection. That's over 1500 boats all over alaska with thousands and thousands of trips now. it was just started this year, but must be working well. (NMFS reports on it at the June council meeting). If it can work on levels like that, why can't something be done for all sport landings? (Dumb question........why ISN'T it being done).

Speaking on the Kenai, F&G has a creel survey that they use almost, if not, every day that takes into account both guided and unguided anglers. Logbooks only take into account guided anglers. They do use the creel survey for in-season management.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    seems like it should be easy. The observer program now uses a computer and call in system for all boats over 40 foot to log trips for observer selection. That's over 1500 boats all over alaska with thousands and thousands of trips now. it was just started this year, but must be working well. (NMFS reports on it at the June council meeting). If it can work on levels like that, why can't something be done for all sport landings? (Dumb question........why ISN'T it being done).

AkTally mentioned that in another thread. Good to hear. I still think we could and should move towards some new ways to report data. There is never a problem with more, good, real data as long as it can be processed and used.

Lol, know this though.......I'm a person who wants to know all takes, and wants triggers and retrictions for every species impacted. From Dollies to starry flounder to snails in a longline fishery. To get there we need more data. We need to stay progressive, and moving forward. In short I'm a nut.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Speaking on the Kenai, F&G has a creel survey that they use almost, if not, every day that takes into account both guided and unguided anglers. Logbooks only take into account guided anglers. They do use the creel survey for in-season management.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't creel surveys only conducted downstream of the Soldotna bridge, and only at public launches during certain times of day? This data is pretty limited, and I don't think it is publicly available till post-seaon. Like I said, I may be wrong as I'm going from memory. Once again, not trying to break anybodys balls, but with the amount of money the state is throwing around for King Salmon research, these data collection methods could really use some upgrades.

Maybe that is only king salmon creel. Perhaps Sockeye is different.