Thread: Diamond plate foam

Default Diamond plate foam

I need to make some new deck boards for my cataraft this year. I can't find where to buy the diamond plate foam core boards. Anyone know where to get it? Thanks

I can't help with where to get it, but I just bought a second-hand Cougar that has the diamond-plate deck. Guy bought it new in 2000, I guess he got the deck boards then. Said it cost about $25 per s.f.

[Edit to add]
    My google-fu must be on step today, this almost looks like it:
    http://www.fauxpanels.com/oxford/mis....php?color=156

I don't think that quite matches what I've got though. After I have myself another cup of coffee I'll go brave the snow (May 4, what's up with that?!?!) and get some dimensions and photos.
    Last edited by ChugiakTinkerer; 05-04-2013 at 10:51. Reason: add link

Default Derails of diamond plate deck board

Here's my cat as listed on CL:

There are four pieces that cover the floor between the tubes. Here's a piece from the bow.

It is 12" x 21" x 1/2". Diamond plate side is gray with a semi-glossy finish. When new it was probably pretty shiny. Back side is fiberglass:

and finally, a side view of the sandwich:

Good luck finding something like this. Did you check with AK Raft & Kayak?

Heh, must be a little OCD kicking in.

No diamond plate, but 4' x 8' sheet of a fiberglass sandwich panel is available at : http://www.merrittsupply.com/categor...ge-panels.aspx
    You could put a rhino liner product on it if you need better traction.

Maybe these guys can cut one to fit: http://www.dwnrvr.com/floors.htm

I have a super leopard from 1999 with this flooring. A section was damaged last fall and went looking for a replacement. I learned that this stuff was made for the slope and is very costly to replace.. CAC plastics in Wasilla has a new type of plastic I am going to try out. I think this will be better for boots with cleats (no damage) and without.. With the diamond plate composite decking, I keep cleats off of the deck.. The salesman was talking 1/2 inch, but I feel 3/8 may be good for 1-2' spans.. I need to check that one out further..
    Email me if you have any questions..
    Thanks
    Dan

Thanks guys. Dgrant if you find something from them that you are going to use a photo, specs and price would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    Thanks guys. Dgrant if you find something from them that you are going to use a photo, specs and price would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Unfortunately I will not be back into town until 1 July.. CAC will have my frame till then..
    Price wise, this new material was available - the older composite would to have been manufactured and costly.. Give them a call..
    Dan

Dan what's the name of the plastic so that they and I are on the same sheet when I call?

Default CAC material might be lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    Heh, must be a little OCD kicking in.

You could put a rhino liner product on it if you need better traction.
    I have the fiberglass sandwich diamond plate on my raft. Works great, but it is heavy. Be interested to hear also how the CAC stuff works out later.

And about the rhino liner you mentioned CT, I saw a nicely tricked out raft on CL (http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/3775826405.html) with rhino liner on maybe marine plywood (couldn't tell). Nice looking Leopard and deck. Here's a photo of the front deck from the ad:

There looks to be a few different products going by the name of "marine board" or similar. Here's the specs on one called Seaboard:

http://www.vycomplastics.com/files/t...roperties1.pdf

Lists density at 0.8 g/cm^3, which works out to 1.6 lbs per sq foot for 1/2" thick material. The data sheet for the fiberglass foam core panel is here:

http://www.spaceagesynthetics.com/files/Technical.pdf

and it states that it comes in densities of 18, 22, and 30 lbs per ft^3. For 1/2" panels that works out to 1.1, 1.4, and 1.9 lbs per sq ft. I'm guessing that the diamond plate material is comparable to the plain fiberglass sandwich so it looks to be a wash, weight-wise.

Actual products will likely vary, and I probably screwed up my math somewhere. These compare to plywood which comes in at 1.4 lbs. or so for 1/2" s.f. (Hey, it's on the internet so it must be true!)

If we are not too busy tomorrow, I'll call CAC from Colombia and get the information for you (plus, I'll get a warm fuzzy on my frame and trailer).. They were talking 1/2 material, I wanted look at the 3/8" material, I only need a small section, but did not have the time to dig into it..

Thanks Dgrant

Thanks Dgrant
    The material is C-Board. There is a second manufacturer that makes a similar board, just a different name.. This is a HDPE material with UV stabilizers. The price is dependent upon the shape, but an average price is $14.00 per square foot for the 54"x96"x1/2" sheets. CAC Plastics in Wasilla is were i received the information.
    If this works well, I may look at doing the complete floor. With the old composite floor I have, I have to be careful not to crush the board when tightening the bolts and puncturing the flooring with spiked wader boots, the C-Board - no worries as it is a solid. I also believe I can attach tie downs to the C-Board for light loads.
    Once again, I would like a closer look at the various thickness and strength of this material..
    Hope this helped..

Thanks a lot

Well sorry to be the ball buster on this but the company that made that fiberglassed divinycell diamond plate deck is Plaschem Supply and they threw the mold away to make it. It was not a very popular mold being used and when they moved from anchorage to wasilla they threw the mold away. They can still make you other decks like that with a texture but not the diamond plate finish. there number is 907-376-7505