Thread: Time Lapse Blunder

Default Time Lapse Blunder

Hiked up to local lake with my gear. Set focus to infinity and adjusted slightly on the brightest star. Took a couple very high iso shots so i could get what i wanted in frame. all looked good. wrapped a boot warmer around lens to keep from frosting. fired off another test shot. all looked ok. proceeded to take 300 thirty second images...all of them out of focus. my first time lapse attempt. i will do it again if we ever get the weather. silliness. still not sure where i blew the focus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olga1913/8668378245/
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

very cool.. I may have to try that this summer with my D600
    "f/64 and be there"

i wonder if the warmer knocked it out of focus or created some moisture somewhere or even changed the integrity of the lens (cold to warm abruptly)
    "f/64 and be there"

I wish I knew. I should have started with something easier for my first time lapse. I had used the shoe warmers before with no problem. When I broke my gear down and put it back in my pack the glass was clear. I thought for a bit that I could have switched the lens back into auto focus but if that were the case I think a few of the images would be focused differently as the lens hunted for something to lock onto in the darkness. Oh well. I went through every precaution I could think of and still made a mistake somewhere.

I shot a simple/silly one behind the house the next day just to make sure it was not an equipment failure. It was not, it was a me failure. hehe. Another time.

http://muskeg.smugmug.com/Video/Flower-Wall/29035150_wbP7V6

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Still playing with the time lapse idea. Developed a great appreciation for those pros that shoot the amazing sunsets and how they handle the dynamic light levels.

Cruise ship in Sitka anchored in front of library.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by olga1913 View Post
    Hiked up to local lake with my gear. Set focus to infinity and adjusted slightly on the brightest star. Took a couple very high iso shots so i could get what i wanted in frame. all looked good. wrapped a boot warmer around lens to keep from frosting. fired off another test shot. all looked ok. proceeded to take 300 thirty second images...all of them out of focus. my first time lapse attempt. i will do it again if we ever get the weather. silliness. still not sure where i blew the focus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olga1913/8668378245/
    I have taken a few moon shots with my Canon EF 400mm prime, but what I do when cold out is to let the lens stabilize for about 20 minutes, and then check the focus. It seems that the lens and elements probably contract and change the focus, but about 20 or more minutes later it has stabilized.

Night time stuff is hard for photos let alone time lapse. Just remember to be in manual and any image stabilization turned off. i have a few that turned out last year but nothing that i was fully satisfied. I cant wait for winter.

here is another

I did alot of stars also but havent put them all together yet.

j,

Very nice indeed.