Thread: Fabricating a deck over trailer

Default Fabricating a deck over trailer

Day 1 of trailer build. Top frame layout and squared up. Trailer is 20' long and 8.5' wide. Will have Tandem 3500 lb axles with brakes on both axles. Takes up most of the space in my small shop. Both the top and bottom frame is 4" c-channel. The stringers are 2" X 2" X 3/16 angle. The tongue is 4" X 3" X 1/4" rectangle tube. Bottom frame will be 72" wide and the axles will be 85" hub face. This will be the second trailer I have built.

Default Progress so far. Ready to flip over.

Default Question about the two layers of structure/support

Seems like a cool idea to have one frame over the basics and a second extending out to the edges; the synergy between the two frames should be strong as heck, shouldn't it? Nice. Or is this a common design? I'm no expert but I've not seen it before.

Please keep the pictures of the progress coming.

Looks good! The 16' I built is a very similar design. One thing I wish I had done was extend the 2x2 tubing the spring shackles rest on. I did the same as you are doing and basically cut them to fit the distance needed for the shackles. Looking back, if I had lengthened them 3-4', it would have really stiffened the frame. Maybe next time...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

I've seen Muds trailer....very nice.
    Yours looks good Gutleap.
    What do you think you will have into it when completed...assuming you pay yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Seems like a cool idea to have one frame over the basics and a second extending out to the edges; the synergy between the two frames should be strong as heck, shouldn't it? Nice. Or is this a common design? I'm no expert but I've not seen it before.

Please keep the pictures of the progress coming.
    The double frame design is pretty common in industrial & heavy duty trailers. I look to PJ Trailers for many design ideas. They build some top notch trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Looks good! The 16' I built is a very similar design. One thing I wish I had done was extend the 2x2 tubing the spring shackles rest on. I did the same as you are doing and basically cut them to fit the distance needed for the shackles. Looking back, if I had lengthened them 3-4', it would have really stiffened the frame. Maybe next time...
    That is a good idea. I flipped it over yesterday, but I could still add that on.

Quote Originally Posted by otternorth View Post
    I've seen Muds trailer....very nice.
    Yours looks good Gutleap.
    What do you think you will have into it when completed...assuming you pay yourself?
    I will have around $3800.00 in materials when I am done. The most expensive items were the axles, hubs and tires. I went with electric brakes on both axles and 14" tires. I would hate to add up all my hours into this trailer and pay myself. I probably could not afford it.

Tie downs?? What have some of you guys that have built trailers think about tie downs? I am only going to be hauling 4wheelers, snowmachines, argo's and meat wagons on this trailer. I am a firm believer in having as many tie downs as possible. AKmud, I was looking back in this forum and saw the trailer you built and really like that E-trac you put on yours. How is that working out? Any problems? I think that is a really cool idea. You can buy the ratchet straps that have the E-trac connectors on them. There is many options with E-trac. What do you guys think?

I love the E-trac. They make all kinds of goodies that snap right in and it is pretty inexpensive. You don't have to use the attachments either, most ratchet strap hooks will pop right in the slots.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AIH carries some decent D rings I welded on mine. Not to expensive & they work well.

Default Brakes and wheels on. E-trac for tiedowns and a 28" V-nose. Lights are next.

Looks great, that's going to be a dandy!
    AKmud

Default Registered and titled the trailer today

Got my title and registration for the trailer today. They wanted to inspect the trailer before I painted it. Will paint it tomorrow and then wire the lights and brakes. All that will be left is to put the deck on and fabricate the ramps and spare tire carrier. I am going to make the ramps out of aluminum.

I took a few pictures of the tongue stiffener I fabricated. I have seen many a trailer where the tongue starts to sag so I thought I would stiffen it up now.

Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great, good looking welds too. The gal that "inspected" mine basically came out and kicked the tires. She mainly wanted to make sure there wasn't already a VIN on it. Took about 45 seconds...
    AKmud

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Looks great, good looking welds too. The gal that "inspected" mine basically came out and kicked the tires. She mainly wanted to make sure there wasn't already a VIN on it. Took about 45 seconds...
    Thanks AKmud. Yeah all the inspector did was basically make sure it was a new trailer. Took longer to do the paperwork than the inspection.

Default Trailer progress: 95% complete

Only some small details to finish up. I want to put some mud flaps behind the tires and I have a couple of small aluminum tool boxes that I am going to mount underneath towards the front to stow straps and tools in. I fabricated an aluminum ramp that stores under the trailer in the back. Also need to fabricate the front ramps on the V-nose out of aluminum. Will probably wait until fall to do that.

Gutleap,
    Looks perfect. Nice job all the way around.
    Thnaks for posting.
    BK

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Very nice trailer. Hope it pulls well and meets expectations.

Very nice trailer. Very professional work. Just some thoughts as they are some things I would have added. I like the idea of adding 6-8 6" boat cleets to the sides and front along the channel to be able to use rope to tie off loads where ratchet straps dont work as well. Also, I would have added a 2" reciever hitch mount to the top front to be able to slide in a portable winch to load broken down snow machines or ATVs, etc. Then again, you seem to have made a trailer for a specific purpose and did a fantactic job at it.

Looks great. What was your final weight? I just finished a 8.5x16', wish I had don't 20'! I didn't add etrac, but I built a rub rail like semi trailers all the way around for tie downs. I also added stake pockets between rub rails and frame. Yours definitely looks sharp, with tool boxes built in, aluminum ramps, you sure went the extra mile.