Thread: .416s.....what's your favorite bullet?

Default .416s.....what's your favorite bullet?

In my wanderings today I managed to pick up a lovely and well loved Ruger RSM in .416 Rigby.

Now to look at components for some hunting loads.

Obviously it's got to case capacity to do anything from mild to the blatantly stupid....but for you .416 fans- what is your go to bullet?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Well hodge I got its big brother the weatherby and I love the 400 grain Barnes x.. I have relied on it many times in the brush. I have shot more then one bear stem to stern including one angry bear I shot in the mouth at close range. I shot a wounded bison at twenty yards( only bullet I ever recovered) that went in his shoulder and lodged under his skin by his butt... I ve shot moose, I even used it to shoot my goat a 330 yards.. It will shoot moa and pack a punch like no other... I have some 350s x bullets I was gonna try but figured why bother when the 400s work so well for me

With all that said I originally wanted to use swift a- frames but then never did shoot as good as the Barnes.

I think I have some 400 grain horandy round nose soft points and some 350x laying around that you are welcome to at no charge of course..Not much maybe a dozen or so of each but enough to get a taste of em...

I've loaded various bullets in my .416 RM, but have pretty much landed on 400 grain Hornady RN Interlocks and 350 grain Speer Mag-Tips. So loaded, it easily carries 250 yards and the cost is such that I can shoot it often--not so with TSXs or bonded bullets. My only experience with terminal performance has been with the 350 Mag-Tip on a brown bear. The only word that comes to mind is "devastating." Certainly there are other bullet options for a .416, but in the 2300-2600 fps window you'll not be lacking on NA game with the 350 Mag-Tip. Come to think of it, I need to salt some more away.......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

My load for my 416rigby is 98.0gr h4350, fed 215, 400gr tsx... I have 70 pieces of new Norma bass and Hornady so I'm set...

I don't shoot a Rigby; I have a 416 Taylor and I use the Hornaday 400 grn RN bullet. They are the least expensive and have always functioned well at the Taylors velocities and I don't see a need for a more expensive bullet, I have never retreived a used bullet however. The Taylor and the Rigby have approx. the same velocity and I see no reason they wouldn't work well in your rifle. In Magnum rifles with much greater velocities I could see where they might shed a jacket when impacting something hard. Enjoy your new rifle....!

" Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    In my wanderings today I managed to pick up a lovely and well loved Ruger RSM in .416 Rigby.

Now to look at components for some hunting loads.

Obviously it's got to case capacity to do anything from mild to the blatantly stupid....but for you .416 fans- what is your go to bullet?
    I've got some speer 350 grain mag tips here if you should ever want them. I halved a mag tip, very strong jacket......I can't separate the core from the jacket. I'm pretty sure these are bonded bullets. Can anyone else verify this?

I like the TSX 350 grain in my 416 Rigby accurate and has more than enough penetration for any animal that one would use an expanding bullet on

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I've got some speer 350 grain mag tips here if you should ever want them. I halved a mag tip, very strong jacket......I can't separate the core from the jacket. I'm pretty sure these are bonded bullets. Can anyone else verify this?
    They're not bonded, but are their "Hot-Cor" process for whatever difference that makes. PM incoming about the Mag-Tips......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'm looking at some various load data....and I'm amazed.

Some of these folks are loading Rigbys to modern pressures...like a the previously mentioned 350gr Speer at 2700. Probably shoots as flat an an '06- which is plenty flat enough. Seems that old cartridge with modern rifles and powders can way outperform what we generally assume the Rigby limit to be.

Any advantage in N.America for 350 v 400gr bullets? I can't imagine a 300 or 350gr .416 bullet not flattening anything on this continent. The guy I got the rifle from shot a couple of brown bear and a couple moose with it- stem to stern with a 350gr TSX...never recovered a bullet.

Think I'm going to like messing with this thing.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Agree on the 350 Speer Mag Tips. Very good bullets, and you dont need the kind of solid or monolithic bullets needed in Africa up here. Also, only the Hornady 400 RN's beat them in price.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6