Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jammed up 3 dies with Hornady one shot spray

Default Jammed up 3 dies with Hornady one shot spray

I usually roll my brass on a pad....

But I let myself get into a hurry due to an upcoming match... So I sprayed the heck out of 50 pieces of 30-06 brass and started to resize...

I shook the heck out of the can..... Sprayed the hell out of the brass and let it sit while I ran over to the house to use the bathroom for a few minutes.
    I bought the can a couple years ago and it has been sitting out in the shop until now...

About 5 cases in,,,, I had one stick and rip off the case rim....

So I went to another set of dies and even sprayed the inside of the die.... Two cases later another one stuck and ripped off the rim....

So sizing die number three came out and after a few more it too was stuck....

Thinking I was going to save some time just cost me a bunch more time....

My can of Hornady one-shot spray sucks....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Hornady makes a One-Shot cleaner, as well as their One-Shot case lube. I don't doubt you know the difference, but by bringing it up I am eliminating a possible explanation.

I regularly use One-Shot case lube for reloading rifle cases. I have stuck a couple of .375H&H cases with it, but I've stuck them with other case lubes, as well. For some reason, .375H&H cases like to stick for me. I can't explain it. I would think that nice, long tapered case would be hard to stick, but apparently I've got a knack for it.

I've stuck some .223 cases with One-Shot, as well, but I notice it's when I don't wait for the lube to dry. One-Shot doesn't seem to work as well when it's still wet.

I have seen this so many times.. That is why I use Imperial Case Sizing Wax, never had a problem and been using the same can for years.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/519...izing-wax-2-oz
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default gotta be dry...

I tried some of the stuff and learned that it had to dry before you could size the case - or they would stick even if you sprayed some in the dies. Sound like that could be your problem - or at least it was mine. When I let it dry for a while on the cases it worked OK. Nothing great but it did work.

It appears to be the same as the RCBS case lube 2 or at least it smells the same.

After reloading for some 50 years I've finally settled on the Lee water soluble stuff in the while tubes. Put it on my fingers and wipe it on the cases in the areas needed - no problems to date. My fingers are clean when I stop and everything washes off with soap and water - no greasy mess or film on the cases.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have seen this so many times.. That is why I use Imperial Case Sizing Wax, never had a problem and been using the same can for years.

My reloading teacher told me to use that a few years back and its all i've ever used, I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Same here. Most magical stuff I've ever used, and I've tried most of them out there.

Nothing beats Imperial Sizing Wax, a little goes a very long way; It's extremely good for wildcatting cartridges. That said I assume you have a stuck case removal set for your reloading dies.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I use it all the time without issue, I also use wax but just for forming cases. Be sure to get it in and out from 2 directions and let it dry . . . Spray a bunch and it takes forever to dry and you donít need all that anyway, just runs off and is wasted. One-Shot is misnamed, it takes two shots and there are some tricks to it but itís fast and works well for me.

Another thing is to set the de-capping stem as deep as you can. If it is down just enough to knock a primer out on some dies you are expanding the inside at the same time as the outside. In other words your extruding brass not just sizeing it and extruding takes a lot of force.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default same stuff..

I've got a small tin of stuff labeled "Imperial Sizing Die Wax" by Le Lear Industries in Royal Oak Mich. It is a while label with green writing. Wax inside is a light tan wax that you can smear with your fingers. I've had it for many years; can't even recall where I got it but the tin isvery nearly full.

I've tried the stuff in every way imaginable and have always gotten scared die to the great force required to even begin to size a case in any of the many dies I've got. Same cases, same dies require little force with other lubes.

Is this the same stuff that you are using? If so - you please tell me the secret to using it? As I said above I've tried every way imaginable but I must be missing whatever the secret is!

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Nothing beats Imperial Sizing Wax, a little goes a very long way; It's extremely good for wildcatting cartridges. That said I assume you have a stuck case removal set for your reloading dies.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I've got a small tin of stuff labeled "Imperial Sizing Die Wax" by Le Lear Industries in Royal Oak Mich. It is a while label with green writing. Wax inside is a light tan wax that you can smear with your fingers. I've had it for many years; can't even recall where I got it but the tin isvery nearly full.

I've tried the stuff in every way imaginable and have always gotten scared die to the great force required to even begin to size a case in any of the many dies I've got. Same cases, same dies require little force with other lubes.

Is this the same stuff that you are using? If so - you please tell me the secret to using it? As I said above I've tried every way imaginable but I must be missing whatever the secret is!
    The can I have has green wax in it.

A trick that my dad showed me to save time while lubing cases is to take 6-7 cases in your hand at once necks up. Get a few of your fingertips on your other hand all lubed up and jus rub all the shoulders and necks and repeat with another handful of cases. It works, saves time, and I never jammed a case in the sizer yet. Btw I have always used a lube pad and rcbs lube.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I usually roll my brass on a pad....

But I let myself get into a hurry due to an upcoming match... So I sprayed the heck out of 50 pieces of 30-06 brass and started to resize...

I shook the heck out of the can..... Sprayed the hell out of the brass and let it sit while I ran over to the house to use the bathroom for a few minutes.
    I bought the can a couple years ago and it has been sitting out in the shop until now...

About 5 cases in,,,, I had one stick and rip off the case rim....

So I went to another set of dies and even sprayed the inside of the die.... Two cases later another one stuck and ripped off the rim....

So sizing die number three came out and after a few more it too was stuck....

Thinking I was going to save some time just cost me a bunch more time....

My can of Hornady one-shot spray sucks....
    I got (3) 300 RUM cases stuck using One Shot, but it worked well for my 25-06. Maybe you over sprayed them? In any case, I switched to Imperial after the RUM cases got stuck and haven't looked back. Great stuff!
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

I have used most of the sizing lubes sold and a bunch of stuff that isn't made for sizing cases. So far the worst of the bunch is One Shot. Of all the posts about stuck cases, well over 90% have been with One shot. Imperial wax has great reviews from almost everyone that has used it. The one I like even better is Hornady Unique case lube. If you want to try something that will surprise you. Spray them with One Shot, let them dry, then use Unique case lube over the one shot. It's almost like you forgot to put the case in the press.

Decades ago when we didn't have the large selection of case lubes we have today we tried all sorts of stuff. One of the best was STP engine treatment but it was heck to get off the cases and a sticky mess. But then ago so was the old RCBS stuff we used before the water soluble stuff came out.

I'll have to try some of the Unique stuff a can of the newer green Imperial wax.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have used most of the sizing lubes sold and a bunch of stuff that isn't made for sizing cases. So far the worst of the bunch is One Shot. Of all the posts about stuck cases, well over 90% have been with One shot. Imperial wax has great reviews from almost everyone that has used it. The one I like even better is Hornady Unique case lube. If you want to try something that will surprise you. Spray them with One Shot, let them dry, then use Unique case lube over the one shot. It's almost like you forgot to put the case in the press.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Hornady One Shot spray. Unfortunately the instructions are poor. One line in the instructions says about a minute and another says a few seconds. Not letting the thinning agent evaporate a few minutes will cause the case to stick in the sizing die.

I stuck one case several years ago, my fault but I learned from that mistake. The thinning agent that allows the lube to spray is the culprit.

Try this technique in the future and your problems will be solved:

I put all the cases in a large stainless steel bowl. I lightly spray the brass then mix it up with my hands and lightly spray it again. Then take a nylon neck brush with a couple of drops of traditional case lube and apply it to about half the necks on the inside. This will let a little residual lube cling to the neck sizing ball as it goes in and out of the neck during the sizing process. Every neck doesn't need to be lubed, the residual from some will be sufficient the lube the others.

While I'm brushing the necks it takes a couple of minutes, this is enough time to let the thinning agent evaporate leaving a nice light case lube film on the cases. Mix them up one more time to distribute the neck lubed cases throughout the batch then start sizing your brass. If your only sizing a few pieces then a light spraying and a few minutes of waiting prior to sizing will be fine. I generally wait untill I need to size 100+ cases before I prep and store them for future use.

The film of lube is very light and prevents any dented cases from appearing in the future of your sizing process. Most people now by now that to much lube dents your neck, shoulder or case body.

Some may cringe at the thought of case lube in the neck. This aids in sizing and prevents stressing the brass. I toss all sized, trimmed, de-burred brass in tumbler after prep to remove the sizing lube then a hot water bath to remove dust and any of the water soluble lube that may still be present.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    That makes me wonder if your shop is heated all the time. I haven't had any trouble in my limited use of One Shot, but it brings to mind a long-ago product from Lyman. I can't remember the name of it now, but here's the story:

Bought a can and really got to liking it over the course of a summer. Left it over the winter in my unheated shop, and the next spring the stuff didn't work for poop. I guessed it had something to do with all that freezing and thawing, then threw away the can and didn't replace it.

One shot works fine. Lay 20-30 brass in a row on a paper towel. From the mouth end, angle your can so that you're spitting a very small bit of lube inside the neck as you spray. Sweep a spray across the cases. Roll the cases 3-4 at a time about a third of a turn, do another sweep, roll one more time a third of a turn, and do another sweep. Don't linger, don't soak the cases, just get a good even coating on them. Be sure to let the solvent dry off.

Works great for bedding release agent too.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with Hornady One Shot spray. Unfortunately the instructions are poor. One line in the instructions says about a minute and another says a few seconds. Not letting the thinning agent evaporate a few minutes will cause the case to stick in the sizing die.

I stuck one case several years ago, my fault but I learned from that mistake. The thinning agent that allows the lube to spray is the culprit.

Try this technique in the future and your problems will be solved:

I put all the cases in a large stainless steel bowl. I lightly spray the brass then mix it up with my hands and lightly spray it again. Then take a nylon neck brush with a couple of drops of traditional case lube and apply it to about half the necks on the inside. This will let a little residual lube cling to the neck sizing ball as it goes in and out of the neck during the sizing process. Every neck doesn't need to be lubed, the residual from some will be sufficient the lube the others.

While I'm brushing the necks it takes a couple of minutes, this is enough time to let the thinning agent evaporate leaving a nice light case lube film on the cases. Mix them up one more time to distribute the neck lubed cases throughout the batch then start sizing your brass. If your only sizing a few pieces then a light spraying and a few minutes of waiting prior to sizing will be fine. I generally wait untill I need to size 100+ cases before I prep and store them for future use.

The film of lube is very light and prevents any dented cases from appearing in the future of your sizing process. Most people now by now that to much lube dents your neck, shoulder or case body.

Some may cringe at the thought of case lube in the neck. This aids in sizing and prevents stressing the brass. I toss all sized, trimmed, de-burred brass in tumbler after prep to remove the sizing lube then a hot water bath to remove dust and any of the water soluble lube that may still be present.
    Have you successfully lubed 300 RUM cases with One Shot and sized them? Maybe it was my die (Redding Body Die) but I could not get the case sized using One Shot and tried a little and a lot and let it dry, etc.... could not get those cases sized with One Shot. Switched to Imperial and problem solved. I still have to go slow and sometimes double stroke (Using a standard Redding FL die now), but I get them sized.

I totally agree on lubing the inside of the necks. I take the case and stick the neck in to the wax, give it a twist and it makes a lot of difference. Runout with lubed necks is about .0005 - .001, without .004 or more and it goes a lot easier, especially with work hardened necks that have been cycle a few times.

Bottom line for me is Imperial worked when One Shot didn't. Think I'll give Unique a try as well.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

I agree the instructions on the One-Shot label are about worthless.

When I first got into .223, my first shouldered case, I was getting a lot of cases stuck. I went and talked to the old guy at the store, the one with the toothpick and bad attitude, but knows how to do anything? That guy. He set me up to lube the sides of my cases just like I had been doing, but then spray the mounths and necks - from two different directions with the One-Shot. What he told me to do was wait a few seconds (I think to let the carrier evaporate) but then get them sized before the lube sets up and gets sticky.

He told me to start by spraying just six cases at a time, and maybe if I was real quick like I might get up to doing 10 or 12 cases at a time. I got up to 10 at a time. When the first can was empty i was in the middle of a batch, so I tried rolling the cases the usual way, and then rolling a few at a time so just the mouth and shoulder were laying on the pad. Water soluble RCBS lube.

It works. I just use the RCBS water based now, but I roll each case twice, once laying flat and once tipped up so I am getting some on the case mouth. I do have to stop and run a dry patch through the sizer die right often, but it isn't that bad and it's cheap.

Also +1 on running the neck sizer ball and de-cap pin down as low as you can towards the shell holder. I haven't fooled with 30-06, but it can really throw a monkey in the works sizing .223.

Good luck.

There is something wrong with a case lube that has to be used "just so". Use either Imperial or Unique with a little dab on your finger tips smeared around the lower part of the case, or all over the case, or use a lot if you want it just doesn't matter it still works. A Q Tip rolled in either then swabbed in every second or third case neck helps the neck expander a bunch. The Lee stuff isn't too bad either although it's a little more picky about how you use it. Castor oil or STP works really good as well, but they are a holy mess to clean off and any of the thick oils can dent shoulders if you get a little too much on the neck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast