Thread: Rendered moose fat cracklings and steaks cooked in the grease:

Default Rendered moose fat cracklings and steaks cooked in the grease:

Found a nice bonus with a piece of hind quarter from the freezer........a big chunk of moose fat. I usually try to include a chunk either attached to the piece of hind quarter, or add a chunk to each bag of meat. No need for cooking oil.

Cut it thin, and cook on low heat in a dry pan. Lightly salt them. With a half cup sized chunk of moose fat, you'll get 80 percent of it as cooking fat. The cracklings taste just like bacon.

In went the steaks, course ground black pepper, half cup of minced green onions, and a full cup of baby bella mushrooms. Talk about tender, no other fat is more compatible with the meat, than the animal's own.

Don't throw it away this hunting season!

Things you can do with it: mix it with your burger and sausage (instead of nasty/unhealthy beef or pork suet) wash hands with it, cook with it, grease pie crusts, treat leather, burn in oil lamps.......ect.

Attached Images Attached Images

I like it marbled in the layers on the moose ribs. Don't cut off anything here.
    Slow cook a big thick chunk of ribs and it melts in your mouth.

Or, cut up your ribs flanken style, soak in a terriyaki marinade, and grill on high heat and it sizzles to perfection.

I'll bet those cracklings are awesome!
    BK

Looks awesome!!! I like your style.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

When we were growing up mom would render deer tallow to use for various things (sealing jars of cranberry jelly, coating the cooktop of the stove when we left the cabin for a month or more), and I still remember the cracklings being our favorite! Still hot, lightly squeezed out in cheesecloth with a little salt.... So good!!! Got me reminiscing now, after all the cutting was done we had a huge marrow bone feed too.

We render our spring bear fat down. Easy to do.
    The stuff is ridiculously good for baking.
    It comes out pure white and better looking than crisco. Excellent for frying chix wings.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    We render our spring bear fat down. Easy to do.
    The stuff is ridiculously good for baking.
    It comes out pure white and better looking than crisco. Excellent for frying chix wings.
    BK
    And the absolute very best for donuts !!!

okay so I have to ask, how do you render it down. I am hoping to bag my first black bear this spring. I assume you just save all the fat you can and then heat it up and keep the liquid?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Spot on JR2.
    I heat up clean fat chunks in a deep fryer that I use to cook turkeys. Heat it slowly until it's all melted, doesn't take long.
    Pour it through a cheesecloth into clean containers, seal it up and store it in the fridge.
    Use it like lard (crisco) for cooking or frying.
    It's extremely easy to render and defineltly worth making.
    BK

Default Rendered moose fat cracklings and steaks cooked in the grease:

Moose fat is DANGEROUS!! and full of AWFUL!! HORRIBLE!! CONTAMINENTS!!! and should be disposed of in my freezer!!

It amazes me how many folks trim off all the fat on wild meat. They say it makes the meat taste gamey... well, duh! If you want beef, buy beef!
    Me, I love wild fat. Funny, because the same people who hate wild meat fat have no problem with the local meat processor mixing in cow fat, which is full of... well... we probably don't even want to know.

Good on ya Mainer for using the fat. Next you'll be telling us you crack the bones for marrow (yum, yum, yum!).

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    It amazes me how many folks trim off all the fat on wild meat. They say it makes the meat taste gamey... well, duh! If you want beef, buy beef!
    Me, I love wild fat. Funny, because the same people who hate wild meat fat have no problem with the local meat processor mixing in cow fat, which is full of... well... we probably don't even want to know.

Good on ya Mainer for using the fat. Next you'll be telling us you crack the bones for marrow (yum, yum, yum!).
    I think a lot of that comes from Whitetail deer hunters....I was one, and the fat is not good to eat, may be good for other uses but sticks to your mouth when it cools....kinda offsets any health benefits. Moose however do indeed have incredibly edible and even delicious fat.

I eat beef about two times a year, each time I do I know think that IT has an off and gamey flavor....almost musky. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post

I eat beef about two times a year, each time I do I know think that IT has an off and gamey flavor....almost musky. No thanks.
    This is kind of funny. My two kids grew up in South Dakota and Utah and our family lived entirely off of deer, antelope and elk for meat. When we first got to Alaska in 2006 I was able to bring a little bit of it up with me, but wasn't very successful hunting the first two years we were up here so we had to start buying meat for a bit. Both of my kids, but especially my daughter didn't like it at all. They both still prefer game meat to any store bought meat. My son moved back to SD to go to college and this year got his first deer tags back there on his own. He called me up very excited that he was finally going to get some deer again! Great thread!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Rinella goes into detail about rendering bear fat in Meat Eater. I was reading it this past winter and kicking myself for leaving a pile of bear fat on the mountain last fall. I won't make the same mistake next time. BTW the bears have more fat in fall... go get em while they're still out
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.