Thread: Walk in brooks-grizzly

Default Walk in brooks-grizzly

Would love to get a pretty lil blonde brooks bear. Have a few questions. I've drove the road to prudhoe but its been a handful of years and wasn't really paying attention when driving through the mtns. Should I just pick a valley and walk it out? I'm not really worried about any certain spot as I'm sure and where in the range if I put on a few miles and glass ill at least see bears. I'm also scared about leaving my truck parked for several days..any issues there? Thanks in advance

I'm aware of the 5 miles also

This is gonna be a fall hunt

Leaving your truck for several days is probably not an issue. Be aware that at least part of that area is a registration hunt for bears.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Depending on how far you go in - some of it is Draw too.

I would not randomly pick a drainage and go in. Some of those mountains are going to be difficult to get over, and some of those rivers are going to be difficult to swim.

I would obviously map out an area before just randomly driving up there.

I would recommend going all the way through the mountains and hunting on the north side in the foothills. Easier walking, easier to glass the country for bears and in my experience just as many bears as right in the mountains. I have always gone toward west side of road. I imagine east is pretty much the same. I have never had a problem leaving a vehicle for a couple weeks at a time. Good luck.

This guy was a bit further north than you're talking of going, but it is motivation none the less! He was a really old boar...turning white/silver and all his canines were broken off even with the gum line. Still waiting to hear from F&G as to how old he actually was.

AZinAK

I saw a grizz last August walking down the haul road by the ice cut.

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    This guy was a bit further north than you're talking of going, but it is motivation none the less! He was a really old boar...turning white/silver and all his canines were broken off even with the gum line. Still waiting to hear from F&G as to how old he actually was.

AZinAK
    Wow........absolutely beautiful bear...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Wow........absolutely beautiful bear...!!!

thats one of the nicest coats ive seen on a grizz

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    I would recommend going all the way through the mountains and hunting on the north side in the foothills. Easier walking, easier to glass the country for bears and in my experience just as many bears as right in the mountains. I have always gone toward west side of road. I imagine east is pretty much the same. I have never had a problem leaving a vehicle for a couple weeks at a time. Good luck.
    +1, I second this recommendation. Find the caribou and walk in from there. The bears will be where the Bou are.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    Still waiting to hear from F&G as to how old he actually was.

AZinAK
    Call ADFG and ask for the age on your bear. They say it takes a year though. I called the other day on the bear I got last May and they told me my black bear was 16!

I've been up the Haul Road 5 times in the last 3 years and never saw a bear until this last September when I saw 3. They were all within the bow zone and on the other side of the Sag, north of the mountains on the tundra. In September they should be on the berries, which is what I saw all these bears doing.

Just on the northern part of the range, walkin the knoll/ ridge tops avoiding the lower, wetter crappier walking? Valid points

What area's aren't registration hunts up there? I'm having trouble finding that info in the regs

North of the pass is pretty much all registration hunts unless you go in real far.

Default not walk in - but fuel for your fire

7' boar on the north side of the pass, not walk in, drop hunt. We were specifically targeting Griz for my brother. Didn't expect to take 2. This was on caribou kill sites. There was another much larger bear in the area. My brother shot a very old sow that charged us, but she was not on a kill.

P1010492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Call ADFG and ask for the age on your bear. They say it takes a year though. I called the other day on the bear I got last May and they told me my black bear was 16!
    Yeah, I stopped in and got the age of my black bear but was told (a year from when I sealed it) that they should get an age back for my grizz this summer/fall.

AZinAK

[QUOTE=Bullelkklr;1279883]7' boar on the north side of the pass, not walk in, drop hunt. We were specifically targeting Griz for my brother. Didn't expect to take 2. This was on caribou kill sites. There was another much larger bear in the area. My brother shot a very old sow that charged us, but she was not on a kill.

Was that a registration tag?