Thread: Little Su

Default Little Su

I went there the other day and a guide was taking out. He said they caught one king that dayand had a hit before that. Anyone else catching anything in the Little Su yet?

I went down to take my boat for a spin. I'm not sure I trust it enough yet to head downstream far enough to find kings.. unless someone else with a boat wants to go with me

Was back out there today for a couple hours. Didn't catch or see anything. A feller that went a little ways upstream said his wife saw one roll just upstream of the launch. I got nuthin better to do (except yardwork and other crap I don't feel like doin') so I'll keep heading back out on my days off until I start hookin up with the fish!

Just so I got this straight, Bait is not allowed on the little Su until August, but there's no single-hook rule below the Parks, correct? So unbaited lures with 2 treble hooks are good? And starting tomorrow, it's only open from 6 am to 11 pm. That's the way I see it, unless I'm missing something.

I dont think you can use treble hooks, but you can have 2 single hooks. I'm pretty sure you need to remove the trebles from lures like kwikfish and replace them with singles.

I think you might want to check the regs again,trebles are allowed,and in a single hook fishery only one single hook is allowed..

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    I think you might want to check the regs again,trebles are allowed,and in a single hook fishery only one single hook is allowed..
    That's what I was thinkin'. In single hook waters you take off both trebles ahang a Siwash hook from the front ring...or maybe it's the back ring with a little pencil weight on the front....ARGH, I don't remember. Anyway, we're gonna go out and try again in the morning. one of these days someone in my boat will connect with a king in the Little Su. Then maybe I can move on to the Deshka or somewhere else.

Yeah you guys are right, trebles are allowed downstream from the parks. Nevermind me over here!

Since we already have a little su thread, let me jump in with a question of my own: What lures do you guys use? I've been fishing it for about 10 years now, off and on. I've always used some variation of spin 'n glo, or just straight corkies sometimes. Last summer my brother in law showed me how to use a slip bobber and that was a pretty fun way to fish. I've tried kwikfish but I find it pretty boring just sitting there.

For kings I've had luck with vibraxes and spin N glo's. Usually you'll be able to pull one out early in the morning from a good hole.

I would assume you would be using a slip bobber with bait. If that's the case I would also assume you are fishing for silvers.
    If the above is so it has been my experience that you will outfish anyone else that isn't using that method.

Default Lures on the LS

I've had great luck with Mag Wiggle Warts and Kwikfish when fishing from a boat. I don't let it sit in one spot long, but instead, I work it back and forth through the hole keeping it active.

When fishing from shore, the drift type lures are much more productive like the Spin-N-Glos and corkies/yarn.

Large spinners work well either way, but are more difficult to keep working properly from an anchored or backtrolling boat.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default What depth for slip bobber?

OK, I'm familiar with slip bobbers, but I haven't mastered the technique on how deep to place the bobber stop on my line. Anyone got any suggestions/recommendations/killer techniques that I could use?

im going to go cruise the river and investigate on thursday after work. ive heard of at least three kings being taken so far. ive got a question for ya...i heard from a guy you could launch out by tug bar somewhere in the ocean and cruise to the mouth of the little su. anybody ever done that?

I'm not exactly sure what tug bar is, but if your talking about at the end of KGB Rd. I would pass on that so called launch but that's just me.

so you have been there? why would you pass on that? isnt that a much better way of getting to the mouth versus running in a very shallow river right now?
    and yes tug bar is at the end of kgb.

It just doesn't seem like a desirable place to launch not to mention how far it is to the mouth. It would be 12 miles shorter to go from the port of Anch. They used to use the one on KGB when you could still dipnet at Fish Creek years ago. I wouldn't have any concern running the river if you are able to make it around the island just down from the launch. But yes it is a ways to the mouth anytime of year.

Just FYI, I knew there were huge mudflats out in front of the Little Su and I've heard the mouth can be difficult to find the first time in but I don't know that first hand. I also looked up the inlet on Bluechart and it shows a huge mudflat due S. and SE from the KGB launch.

As to the bobber question. I don't know if there is a rule but I always set it so that I had a foot or 2 of line more than the depth. The bobber in the current helped drift the eggs down the river and to tell you when you have a fish. There might be a better way but this has worked for us.

Default Still no fish, but...

Finally saw what looked like a roll today!

hmmm good info, thanx. i have no doubt i can make it past the island. however my partner and i are going tomm after work with his boat, from burma. ill know first hand what the conditions are, then ill take my boat haha he went a few days ago, said it was rough, hit bottom several times, but we'll see.