Thread: Black bear burn?

Default Black bear burn?

I have read in the past in some posts that people were doing honey burns out of Whittier. I was just under the impression that you could only do a burn at a bait station. Am I wrong or can you do one anywhere? Looked in the regs and can't find where it says no honey burns. Thanks

Scent lure is considered baiting, its in the regs.

Yep, scent lure is baiting...you do it every time you're cooking up some good smellin' grub at your campsite...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Here is a link to the reg: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...iting_regs.pdf

You may only use a scent with a baiting permit.

Thats funny I called F&G last year about this and the guy told me as long as nothing is edible and that the scent does not stay at the location you are hunting, that it leaves when you do like a burn its ok. But that part of the regs does say something a little different. got to love F&G

Quote Originally Posted by redneckalaskan View Post
    Thats funny I called F&G last year about this and the guy told me as long as nothing is edible and that the scent does not stay at the location you are hunting, that it leaves when you do like a burn its ok. But that part of the regs does say something a little different. got to love F&G
    This is an important thing to consider. Fish and Game do not enforce the law. They have a little to do with writing the law. Asking Fish and Game for a legal interpretation of the law will get you in trouble. As noted in this quote above, and on dozens of posts on this forum over several years, do not ask Fish and Game legal questions. Not a single Fish and Game employee will be the one writing you a citation in the field.

The Troopers enforce the law so its their opinion that counts.

That is why there is an "Ask a Trooper" forum on here down the main page and not an "Ask a Biologist" forum.

Quote Originally Posted by redneckalaskan View Post
    Trick answer for sure. While the burn is going a bear could knock the can off the fire and eat the honey. The scent willl stay in the area for a couple of days at least.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Check out this thread in "Ask a AWT" forum:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...and-Sent-Lures

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Check out this thread in "Ask a AWT" forum:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...and-Sent-Lures
    That's seems pretty clear and conclusive to me!! Thanks blaster.

OK I guess that answers that.

So your sitting in your campsite cooking Honey...you know for the muffins you are cooking in your dutch oven... what's wrong with that?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post

So your sitting in your campsite cooking Honey...you know for the muffins you are cooking in your dutch oven... what's wrong with that?
    Nothing at all...unless you shoot the bear that comes to the scent you are putting out.

you could go with protection of property thought the bear was going to get your honey muffins without honey could not do it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Nothing at all...unless you shoot the bear that comes to the scent you are putting out.
    Ya right...........believe me, if a bear happens to smell me cooking dinner and comes for a visit, he's a dead bear. I didn't establish a bait station, so I don't need a permit......I was just cooking dinner......or breakfast, or lunch, etc....

If a trooper wants to take me to court over that, then so be it......good freekin' luck......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I suppose you would have to prove "intent"; not of the hunter, but of the bear. If the bear is coming into the campsite because he is being drawn by the smell of the honey, then you would be in violation of the law. But let's say the bear just happened to stumble into camp without smelling the honey, then you wouldn't be in violation. But if the bear is dead how do you put him on the witness stand. Life just gets more complicated every day.

just haul around your one burner a couple lbs of bacon and a frying pan and just tell the tropper you are cooking lunch and hiding in the tree to watch it cook.

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    If the bear is coming into the campsite because he is being drawn by the smell of the honey, then you would be in violation of the law.
    Only if you registered your campsite as a bait site also...