Thread: Impressed with the new encore barrel.

Default Impressed with the new encore barrel.

Was heading out to go check my bait station when the mailman showed up with my new encore barrel, forend and variflames.
    So I was pretty excited to try that out today. I was gonna sell this one and get a prohunter barrel instead but may not now. Read on....

Got up to the cabin, and began blasting at 50 yards. First shot was dead center and about 2 inches high. 2 more shots and they were on either side of the first shot. Those were with horn. 300 xtp/mags and 2 pellets of trip7

Switched loads, this time, 410 grain horn great plains and 2 pellets of trip z. All 3 shots touching and only about 1 inch low, still dead center.

Then I tried out horn. 300 sst with 2 pellets of trip 7. they were a little to the right and at the same hight as load 1. These also loaded really hard. Those Hornady sabots are thick!

For the rest of my shooting I just shot whatever, loose powder, various bullets, sabots combinations (the knight High pressures were the best, loaded nice). everythiing pretty much hit dead center and no more than 3 inches in elevation difference.

My breech plug came out like butter too! Either the teflon tape or TC super lube did the trick! No more CVA greese for me.

Two gripes, one, the jag that came with the barrel promptly bent and broke on the third loading. two, my fingertip turns white from the pressure applied to break the trigger.Bellm spring should be here next week

Things Im really impressed with is the new Pro hunter thumbhole stock. Recoil was reduced for sure. I have been shooting my other encore pretty regular so I remember how that one kicked very well.

Plus that thumbhole really helped me stay on target in spite of RIDICUOLOUS trigger. .

Most of all Im happy to have gotten one of the rare magical barrels that likes everything
    The Bears are in big trouble come memorial weekend.

Sounds like fun. Would you say the stock or the new shoulder recoil pad helped. The recoil on my encore is heavy for sure. If you think the pad helped I'd be willing to try a new one. What kind of sights come with the pro hunter?
    Joel

well the pad is real sqiushy for sure. But Im sure having your thumb through a hole in the stock and being able to hold it firmly helps also. I shot a bunch this weekend and my shoulder was fine. Most loads were 100 grains and above charge with 300 grain and above bullets.

I didnt get the prohunter barrel, just the frame and stock. I just couldnt justify the extra 80 bucks for the prohunter barrel. I dont care about flutes, the extra 2 inches of barrel didnt matter to me as most of my shots are within 100 anyway. I believe the prohunter comes with the regular truglo sights that the regular barrel comes with. Im not sure How I justified the extra expense of the prohunter frame (more of an impulse I guess, the stock is what sold me, pretty and fits like a dream)

Speed breech would be cool, but after figuring out to wrap my breech plug with teflon tape as well as greese, I havent had a problem removing it.

Update as well. I just installed a 3.5 pound Bellm spring on my frame. Its pretty decent, I can notice a little creep, but I can live with it. Instalation was pretty easy too. Also I just installed a williams peep sight. I havent used it yet, but Im sure it will work fine and be a improvemnt over the origanal rear sight.

the williams peep worked like a charm for me. I will need to get a smaller diameter front sight post. It obscures anything passed 150 yards. Once I got everything adjusted I want to see how far out I can accurately hit something. I like open sights over a scope.