Thread: PWS Deer

Post PWS Deer

Hey all, I'm thinking about trying to set up a PWS deer hunt in late October or early November. Any recommendations on a charter out of Valdez? Also, looking at other threads from earlier this winter it seemed as if the deer hunting was pretty thin on some of the island, anyone else have any comment on that? Would there be any bear still out that time of the year as a back up plan? Thanks in advance for the info.

I heard that the Bio in Valdez said they had a 50-80% die off last winter, they also closed deer season early last year and I would not rule it out that they would do it again.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I heard that the Bio in Valdez said they had a 50-80% die off last winter, they also closed deer season early last year and I would not rule it out that they would do it again.
    Well, season before last ya, depending on what part of Alaska there was certainly winter kill. Kodiak for example depended on which end of the island you were hunting. South end no so good...North I heard much better. But, this year I believe snow fall was more inline with normal if not on the tad shy side. Sure, PWS in the Valdez/ Cordova is getting a late snowfall but there's no base there to keep it from melting fast and exposing feed for the deer. I expected a late last minute snow dump as SC has had a less than normal fall. This winter I don't expect it to be an impact but now last winter yes.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Bears on Montague have been out as late as Nov when I was there.
    Also heard from Aquatech (Matt) that it was poor hunting this year. A coworker hunted the southern end of Montague for a week late Oct with 6 people and they shot 3 deer total.....pretty dismal.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by wvfb163 View Post
    Hey all, I'm thinking about trying to set up a PWS deer hunt in late October or early November. Any recommendations on a charter out of Valdez? Also, looking at other threads from earlier this winter it seemed as if the deer hunting was pretty thin on some of the island, anyone else have any comment on that? Would there be any bear still out that time of the year as a back up plan? Thanks in advance for the info.
    I think you can grab charters out of Whittier, Seward and Valdez though you'll need to confirm that. Me, I always use Dan Eames (Disclaimer - I've profiled him in some TV episodes) but I've come to trust Dan. He knows the waters and hunts Montague on a regular bases. Again, I'm sure there's a few really good transporters out there I just don't know of them. For what its worth I like hunting the islands of PWS. Its a tougher hunt than say Kodiak but rewarding, and most likely cheaper. Good luck!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Thanks for all the info guys, maybe I'll have to reconsider the hunt. Just doesn't sound all that worth it as we were looking at Montague.

Do Kodiak, you'll be see more deer and there is a ton of foxes that need thinning. If you have access to a boat there are crabs to gather also!
    BK

We were out on montague end November. We did ok. There are deer there you have to work for them, ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367627654.865722.jpg
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I have no experience with charters out of Valdez or deer in PWS but I do know a thing or two about late October and early November.

If possible I would avoid scheduling a hunt during that period. The deer are in sort of a weird phase that I don't like to hunt them in. Not rutting yet, not responding to calls, and not in the alpine. If you don't know an area well it can be a frustrating endeavor. Even if you do know the area like the back of your hand the deer can just be unpredictable and factors such as wind rain snow etc mix things up even more. I know exactly where the waterfoul are that time of year, so I am using my 12gauge and letting my .30-06 take a breather.

Not trying to rain on your parade or discourage you from hunting at all, but if I was to take time off of work and spend the money to do a hunt in late oct. early nov. it certainly would not be for blacktails.

Early to mid October have given me the best results. Hunted the west side of the Sound last November and didn't see a single deer. I would try Hawkins and Hinchinbrook, I always fill tags there and they do not get as much pressure being further away from Whittier and Valdez. PWS Blacktail is one of my favorite AK hunts, hope you get a chance to do it.

Later the season the better. But also remember the weather can change in a blink of eye at end of nov or dec.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..