Thread: Cross country skiing end of May?

Default Cross country skiing end of May?

I was wondering if there's anywhere you can cross country ski in the last week of May/first week of June in the Anchorage area. I know most of Girdwood will most likely have melted but if there are some back country places w/in two hours of Anchorage, I'd love to know.

Are you willing to hike to get there first? The top of Crow Pass will still be blanketed in snow, and you may even be able to find roadside snow in Turnagain Pass as well.

It depends on how much of hike it is. We are filming this and I'd have 2 cameras and and an audio guy lugging gear. We have filmed there before at Crow Creek Mine but it was along the river bed. I had the crew go up 30 yards up the mountain when there wasn't snow and I may have pushed their limit on that.

It will not be in Turnagain Pass.......I just came through there.

Dang, sounds like a lazy film crew.

Glen Alps will probably have good snow still, but you might have to walk out to the powerline trail from the parking lot (5 minute walk or so if you have to). If it is a clear, cool night, there could be some great crust to ski on. Turnagain Pass should have skiable snow well into June, but the longer you wait, the further you will have to walk to get started. Again, mornings after a clear night will be the best.

Hatcher Pass from the Palmer side, the road over the pass is usually closed till Fourth of July, but State Parks has accommodated film crews in the past. Give them a call 907-745-3975.