Thread: aluminum paints?

Question aluminum paints?

It seems to be thought that aluminum is kind of a sticky material. Is there any benifit to painting or applying a coating of some kind to my jetboat? Im just thinking it might help fuel economy. any thoughts?

We use nyalic on our boats, great because it doesnt chip like paint, and doesn't get the corrosion under it that happens once paint is chipped.

Default Aluminum Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    It seems to be thought that aluminum is kind of a sticky material. Is there any benifit to painting or applying a coating of some kind to my jetboat? Im just thinking it might help fuel economy. any thoughts?
    Hey there Magnum man,
    I use my Sharkhide Hull Protectant to seal raw aluminum hulls. It's designed to keep the hull from staining and such, but as far as a speed gain, I've never heard one way or the other.
    Clint.

Default leaking rivets

I've got a riveted aluminum fishing boat and am doing a restoration. Thought about painting it to seal the hull below water line. Have heard of people using truck bedliner paint. But that stuff has so much texture I was concerned about drag. At the marine supply here in Homer no one seemed to want say what to use. Maybe there are too many potential issues. Any ideas?

Default truck bed paint

i would think the bedliner spray would slow you down but ive always thought that spaying the inside of the boat would be ideal for riveted boats. just a thought.

Default bedliner

does that stuff stick to wood? would be great for my floorboards the softer type material

Default bedliner

In response to putting bedliner inside the hull, I did have the deck torn out and I did think about it at that stage. My concern there was that the rivets come through the hull and through those U shaped ribs on the inside. So theoretorically the sealer would'nt actually seal around the seam between rivet and hull. I was imagining that water could still leak in under the ribs.?