Thread: DNR AK Mapper

Default DNR AK Mapper

Hey guys/gals,

I'm going to try and find the corners of my propery this summer (Kenny Creek sub.). I used to be able to find plat maps somewhere (DNR, Matsu.gov)? The interactive map system is down on matsu's websight that I used to use. I found the DNR web sight and am using the Ak mapper program. I found my property on the map, and used the layers function to lay out the plat lines. My question is how accurate are the Lat Long coordinates on Ak mapper? Do you think it will get me in the ball park of the monuments so I might be able to find a bearing tree or stake?

Any help would be appreciated!

Those stakes can be tough to find, even with good coordinates. Do you have a GPS? It would be easy enough to create a track gpx file and use that, but again, you could be looking at 10 meter accuracy.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

When trying to find our corners, and those along the right of way leading to our lot, I took the subdivision plat and overlaid it on a jpeg image of the USGS topo maps (using the program Topo!). I “stretched” the plat until the section corners shown on the plat lined up with the section corners shown on the topo map. Then going back into Topo I’d hold the curser over the spots where my lot corners were and wrote down the coordinates. Then I entered those into my GPS.

Talk about reaching over your shoulder to scratch your butt! I gave it about a 20% chance of helping me find the corners, but when I went out there I found them all. The GPS got me within 25 feet of each stake, which I then located visually fairly quickly.

So, if that worked, I think that the DNR Mapper would too. The key, and this is real important, is to look for your corner stakes after the snow melts and before the underbrush comes up. That’s going to occur soon and you only have a couple week window. Once the brush grows up – forget it.

Right on guys! I have a few coordinates in my GPS and I tried to cross check AK mapper and Google earth with where my Cabin is and it looks pretty accurate. I think I will heed your advice NRick and get out there soon when I get off the slope in a couple of weeks.

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

I was able to use (AND PRINT) the original survey data, found a corner about three lots away, use a range finder to get close to my property line then follow the bering until bearing trees were noted, cross checked them with the survey notes, measure out off two or three trees to a close stake location then used a metal detector to find the actual corner pin. The lat and log on the survey were 'close' to actual and a topo.

Not sure how 659's corners are marked, but there are no bearing trees for mine. No yellow or silver metal plate nailed to a tree at eye level. You are looking for a piece of rebar sticking a couple of inches out of the ground. Rust colored brown in a mat of brown leaves or else obscured by any plant taller than 4 inches.