Thread: tipi and wet ground

Default tipi and wet ground

Hey guys, i read through the other tipi posts and was still curious on what people do to keep their bags dry on wet ground in their tipi or floorless tents. Set mine up this weekend and when i came back to camp the original dry frozen ground had unfroze into wet ground.

What are you guys doing to save weight in the pack and still keep your bag dry?
    NRA life Member JVJ

Bearpaw Wilderness Designs has bathtub floors that stake out inside your floorless shelter and that are just large enough to fit your sleeping bag/pad. They range anywhere from 6 ounces up to like 10 ounces I think depending on the thickness of material. I don't have one as of yet but I'm planning on getting one real soon.

A bivy bag with a silnylon bottom and breathable top like the ones Bora makes, and then a ground sheet.

This time of year its tough to deal with the changes so a inner tub floor like what Bearpaw makes works. Most tipi makers make floor sheets for their items and Bearpaw will custom make one.

I use a TI Goat Bivy for my sleeping bag and sometimes a small piece of cuben fiber or Tyvek.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Also there are several manufacturers that make nests if you need the added benefit of keeping the bugs out.

Is that a bag of rocks holding that tent pole down!? Is that the Sawtooth by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I use a TI Goat Bivy for my sleeping bag and sometimes a small piece of cuben fiber or Tyvek.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Is that a bag of rocks holding that tent pole down!? Is that the Sawtooth by chance?
    No Sir,, using the pole to keep the collapsible water bag from falling over. I don't filter water I boil, so we keep a bag in the Tipi to dip from for coffee and hot water.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

So the BD Mega light weighs 2.5 pounds and factoring 2 guys, with a bivy each thats 1 more pound. The ti goat bivies weigh 5 oz and 6 oz. So you go in at 3.5ish pounds. I guess you still save weight from my Nallo GT2 at just under 5 pounds. Just trying to figure out the best option. thanks guys
    NRA life Member JVJ

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    So the BD Mega light weighs 2.5 pounds and factoring 2 guys, with a bivy each thats 1 more pound. The ti goat bivies weigh 5 oz and 6 oz. So you go in at 3.5ish pounds. I guess you still save weight from my Nallo GT2 at just under 5 pounds. Just trying to figure out the best option. thanks guys
    GoLite Sl-5 comes in at 29 oz for the fly sheet....20 MSR Ground stakes if you want to guy out every possible guy out point is 14 oz. TI Goat bivy is 6 oz. Comes to nearly 3 pounds exactly. Of course you should leave about half those takes at home if you chose to and be find as well or use Ground hog minis as well and come in at 2.75 pounds pretty easily and have a larger shelter than the BD Mega light.

I already have the bd mega light, thats why i used that number for a tent. purchased it for under 150 bucks and i can learn the best way to use a tipi before i spend 600 on another brands product.

my thought is that it just does not save much weight to run a tipi and bivies if i can just run my nallo and be at similar weights and have a floor. but the ti goat bivies are super light and once i actually start weighing some of these combos myself im sure the weight saving will be enough to warrant running a tipi
    NRA life Member JVJ

Another thing too consider is the added safety/comfort factor of having a bivy built into your kit at all times. What I mean by that is if you take your Hille and you end up bivying out one night, you have either added the weight of a bivy on top of the hille, or more likely you're cold and wet. I like having my bivy with me at all times anyway, so why not reap the weight savings in your shelter by going floorless? Works for me anyway...