Thread: Question about pollination

Default Question about pollination

When a person is growing zucchini, cucumber, watermelon, ect do the plants form male AND female flowers on the same plant? I have been told that with seedless watermelon you need to plant a pollinator which I believe is just a watermelon of a seeded variety that provides pollin to set the fruit. Or do you actually need a MALE? I have always been told to plant two or more zucchini, pumpkin, ect if you want them to set but never really gave it much thought until now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon3464 View Post
    When a person is growing zucchini, cucumber, watermelon, ect do the plants form male AND female flowers on the same plant? I have been told that with seedless watermelon you need to plant a pollinator which I believe is just a watermelon of a seeded variety that provides pollin to set the fruit. Or do you actually need a MALE? I have always been told to plant two or more zucchini, pumpkin, ect if you want them to set but never really gave it much thought until now. Thanks!
    Some do and some don't (produce both male and female blossoms on same plant) best advice I could give you on that is to google up pollinating cucumbers, etc., There are several YouTube presentations on "how to" as well as a flock of web sites that tell you everything you ever wanted to know. Myself, I like the "Sweet Success' cucumber it's self pollinating and produces very nicely in a green house. I don't grow zucchini nor watermelons.