Thread: Sliding or fixed glass on a boat window?

Default Sliding or fixed glass on a boat window?

The starboard window on my boat needed replacing, so I tore it out a few days ago. Now in sticker shock. $420 for a slider, but fixed glass is only around $100. Its the only window that opens on the boat - will I really miss that feature/fresh air underway?

The difference in price = one more PWS trip this summer, thats why I am waffling/acting so cheap about this.

Is there another option? Aluminum Boat, 3/16 thick. Local option for a slider? DIY?

I'd love the input from the experienced boaters on board.

Thanks.

I ended up putting all solid windows on my boat. There have been a few times I wished I had a slider, but they are way down on my list of upgrades. I'd say go solid window and buy a small 12v fan for circulation.

You can build a slider out of Lexan, but more than likely you'll find it rattles and leaks and lexan isn't cheap.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Do it right with a slider, it will pay of in the long run. Or pay the money to put the solid in and then pay more to put the slider in later on.

I have a lexan replacement window. I hate it! The rattle drives me crazy!
    Where are you guys buying/building replacement glass windows? I would love to replace mine but not sure where to buy or how to install without removing the whole window assembly and thus opening the possibility of new leaks. I have a fiberglass olympic boat.

Speedy glass will cut you a custom safety glass window in any size you want, and they are fairly reasonble. You can mount it in rubber H channel.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I keep hoping for a hot summer day where I have to open up all my windows to stay cool, but things are not shaping up that way so far this summer...

I would say if you are planning on keeping the boat for three more seasons or more, go for the slider. They are nice for night as well for sleeping. The only thing I don't like about my sliders is the screens rattling on them.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I had my slider open last week, just something about cruising when it's flat and having that fresh air.

Sliders are expensive ..... require maintenance .... and sometimes have leak issues. The only thing worse is not having them. While it is tempting to stick in a cut glass in a rubber molding ..... my bet is you would regret it. Replace the slider. The best ones made come from here. http://www.diamondseaglaze.com/

Slider no question. Especially if you launch and recover with a limited number of crew. IMO
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

new window.JPGI just took a solid window with a rubber gasket out and put in a slider. I'd go slider, which I did. On the hook in the summer and cooking was enough to cause me to make the change, air circulation was terrible.

Check out http://www.wynneinc.com/ they have a good rep for making boat windows.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have bought some windows from Motion Marine and they did a good job. Not too spendy and save on shipping. PM me if you want some help.
    I would say go for slider. That fresh air is nice and I usually crack my window open a little to prevent windshield fogging up.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Definitely a slider.

Slider and don't look back, make it happen.
    Back off of throttle a little on a few trips and extend your boating time.

Closure...We waited too long and needed something fast, so fixed glass for now. (but it cracked on the ride home from the glass shop!) Anyway, good enough for the summer, and we'll deal with it when boating season is over - maybe a slider then...