Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any use for a 30 carbine in AK

Default Any use for a 30 carbine in AK

Hi all,

Just a quick question about the usefulness of a 30 carbine in AK. Is it worth bringing one up to use in a hunting situation? I think I know the answer just want some other opinions.... Thanks in advance.

Ron

This has to be one of the worst center fire rifles ever introduced. Terrible ballistics and an even worse reputation among trrops that had to use it. The only redeeming qulaity was that it was very light to carry. I guess a collector might want it, but please do not use it in a hunting situation. Many states do not allow it for big game.

I was thinking more to small game. I have seen deer taken with them at close (50 yrd) range.

I used an m1 carbine on a couple of coyotes up here just to see how it would do. Took one @ 60 yards the other @ about 45 yards. Knocked them both dead where they stood. Would be a decent brush gun for a trapline or something but there are better options IMO.

The reason I ask is I have a gun with similar ballistics. I am wanting to get rid of a few guns and I am wondering on its usefulness in places other then in MI. So the niche is about the same I take it, so I will be getting rid of it soon. Thanks for the input.

Ron

Ron
    They were pretty useless in there day, and the only positive was they were light and in the full auto mod would get a small bit of lead down range. Max range is about 100yrds and 75 is probably better. Ammo is expensive when you can fine it but i will add if you have one and are looking to part with it for a reasonable amount i would be interested only as a collector stand point.
    There is far better weapons out there and cal than the m1 carbine that are far more forgiving.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    The reason I ask is I have a gun with similar ballistics.
    I'd find a lot of uses for those ballistics if the gun was accurate enough. In my mind it's at least as effective as a 223 within about 100 yards, making it kinda fun for everything from plinking to small game and fur. I'd have more use if it was a bolt rather than a semi, because that opens the door for reduced loads and small game. The 32-20 is no slouch for all those uses, and a round in the same class as it and the 30 carbine would just be a whole lot of fun.

Trouble with comparing a round with the 30 carbine is that round comes with all kinds of baggage as a "martial" arm. Use the 32-20 as a reference for the ballistics and guys like me go all googly eyed.

I carried one for awhile when I was part-time trapping near Fort Yukon. I also carried the same M-1 Carbine as a patrol car gun and had to shoot many feral dogs with the darn thing. It did not work well for animals caught in traps and it did not work well for dogs of any size. It causes undo suffering and is un-sportsman like to employ...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

The M2 was a favorite carry gun in the outfit I was in over in VietNam,range was not a problem. If you hand load it can be very usefull.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Patty View Post
    This has to be one of the worst center fire rifles ever introduced. Terrible ballistics and an even worse reputation among trrops that had to use it. The only redeeming qulaity was that it was very light to carry. I guess a collector might want it, but please do not use it in a hunting situation. Many states do not allow it for big game.
    I have to disagree with this completely. The rifle itself is a very good design. It's application by the Army of WWII was good in concept but it was so quickly placed in a role it could not fulfill. The cartridge is anemic by any rifle standards but is and always was effective in close quarters, room clearing type applications. When used as a sub gun it was effective and appreciated. My dad took deer with the little rifle many times but of course he was an excellent shot and a great hunter. It is of limited range and quarry size but so is the 30-30 or any other cartridge. The cartridge does not really fill any particular niche and can't do anything the 7.62x39 or similar can't do better. The real reason to own one is for its character and the place it fulfills in 20 century military history. Most killing power complaints can be reduced with the use if good 110 grain soft point bullets but can never be considered an adequate big game rifle.
    Ron, if you have one for sale I'd be interested to hear about it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The line I use for folks that think a caliber is "useless" or "ineffective", is this: Stand over there and I promise I'll only shoot you once with it. No takers. There is an interesting photo in the UA archives of a gentleman with a carbine and Two very dead brown bears beside him. Many, many Japanese and German soldiers met their fate at the end of carbines. Consider yourself armed with a handgun in the 357 family of cartridges. Ammo is really no more expensive than 223. It just comes in 50rd boxes instead of 20rd. I have a couple and rather like them. But thats just me, I guess.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The line I use for folks that think a caliber is "useless" or "ineffective", is this: Stand over there and I promise I'll only shoot you once with it. No takers.
    My reply to that is as long as you know Iíll be duckin, bobbin, and flinging 45 back at ya . . . Also no takers.

30 Carbine isnít at all useless and the little M1 is a fine little rifle. They were just asked to fill the shoes of a battle rifle which they certainly are not and this lead to an underserved poor reputation. They are a fine support troops weapon, a cook forced to fight is far more likely to hit something with an M1 carbine than a 1911. They are very effective on dogs, yotes, and so on with a good 110g soft point but a notorious wounding device with FMJ for lack of velocity. With proper loading I feel carbine will kill anything 223 will but at about half the range.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Murphy, I respect your knowledge and opinion, but the very qualifications you stated make my point. The 30 carbine has collector value. As a hunting weapon, it is only useful in limited applications. It is not appropriate for general hunting. As a weapon in warfare, it had limited use. Compare the 30 carbine to any rifle caliber, and it is among the worst in terms of ballistics. Look at the actual use in hunting and in warfare and it again is among the worst performers. In the end, however, each to his own.

Murphy, I respect your knowledge and opinion, but the very qualifications you stated make my point. The 30 carbine has collector value. As a hunting weapon, it is only useful in limited applications. It is not appropriate for general hunting. As a weapon in warfare, it had limited use. Compare the 30 carbine to any rifle caliber, and it is among the worst in terms of ballistics. Look at the actual use in hunting and in warfare and it again is among the worst performers. In the end, however, each to his own.
    Now I tend to agree with what you're saying. You first said it was "has to be one of the worst center fire rifles ever introduced. ". The rifle is solid and of clever design. The cartridge is not one that would normally fill a niche for any hunting but could be pressed into service for some tasks. It actually works fine for called varmints.
    Winchester was under the gun (pun intended) to come up with this rifle on short order and were given certain criteria and an eccentric designer to work with. They scaled down their 351 SLR to develop this little 30 caliber cartridge. The 351 would have been better.
    As for military applications those problems have been there for over a century. It was, and still is on a limited basis, very successful with some countries and has been poking holes in people for more than a half century. In a burst fire version it would make a great entry gun. It's more powerful than the 9x19 and that is THE sub gun caliber of the past few decades
    the M-16 was never a battle rifle but it took decades for some branches to figure that out. Military application is encumbered by many things, not the least of which is their desire to make one model fit all tracks. A one gun, do-all concept is doomed to fail from the start. Even as hunters we know that one gun is hardly the best approach but I'd say a 30-06 could be used for rabbits.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Look how popular the "300 black-out" is with all these AR-15 goobers. If guys drool over that cartridge, than the 30 carbine is every bit as good to protect your home. Other n that, I certainly wouldn't be hunting anything with it, there are better .22-24 caliber choices for predator hunting.

I did take some 30 carbine cases, and necked them down to 24 caliber. loaded some dummy rounds with 100 grain bullets. I call it the "243 arctic fox".

I think we can agree to agree...

I have a few family members that used 30 carbines to take caribou, moose, and wolves over the year's they are great gun's. I also have seen a good portion of meat and varmint animal's dispatched with the village standard SS mini-14.

Never had a man laugh at me after being shot by one nor a critter flinch like being mosquito bit and walk on. Equal to 223 at my ranges any day. Not the perfect all around gun like a 30-06 but if its all you have you can still eat.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

According to the Lee reloading manual....

30 cal M1 carbine.......100 grain jacketed bullet.........2200 fps
    ..............................110 grain jacketed bullet..........2100 fps

357 magnum pistol.........110 grain jacketed bullet..........2000 fps

Like all other small game guns, I wouldn't carry it small game hunting without a legitimate bear gun on my also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast