Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deep Creek tractor launch

Default Deep Creek tractor launch

The Deep Creek boat launch is set up and ready to go today May 1. Unfortunately it was a blow out. Launch fee is $68 this season.

Holy crap, I wonder when they are going to price themselves out of buisness!

Charterboat Operator

Anchor Point opened yesterday as well, with a blow off there too.

I dont get it, gas prices are down $0.40 a gallon from last years prices. what are they raising them for? Sounds like abusing the system if they know there is no other way to get boats in the water, and they know you have to pay to play.....lame

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    I dont get it, gas prices are down $0.40 a gallon from last years prices. what are they raising them for? Sounds like abusing the system if they know there is no other way to get boats in the water, and they know you have to pay to play.....lame
    I understand they have operating costs but I sure wonder about the lack of competition.

And I bit.ch about my annual $94 boat lauch fee for two boats.

Only 3 boats out today. All charters. Snowing and 35F.

I will never ever use the tractor launch, that is rediculous
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I will never ever use the tractor launch, that is rediculous
    totally agree with you, I was planning on going down there this year. I will not pay that much it is better to go all the way to homer. I have a skiff so maybe i can get someone with a wheeler to launch it, but hate to rely on people. pisses me off sometimes that companies are taking advantage of being the only one who operates in a certain area. So if a big name towing company went down there and charged cheaper prices would you "stick with the little man"???? No you wouldn't... you will go cheaper guess i will not head that way this year, maybe i will try valdez....

Ya know......it pretty much costs you at least a "C" note as it is to go halibut fishing, I mean with food, gas, and all, so to add another $68 bucks on top of that....well......it's gets to be pretty ridiculous pretty quick just to go beat yourself to death on a lousy day for two freekin' fish. Believe me, I know I would like a big boat, but that's pretty much the reason I've always had a boat that I can launch off the beach myself with my truck or jeep.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

That's getting crazy. What a bunch of bandits. Of course if they had some competition it would be about 45.00

A season pass in Homer is only $135 I think and thats for as many launches and retrives with your boat as you want all season long.
    It also includes access to clean bathrooms with hot runnning water and fish cleaning tables. Both of which are lacking at the tractor launch.
    Not to mention the fuel dock,pump out station,trash dumpsters,etc. etc.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

So how do they justify that price? Is the fishing really better right there so as to save gas in the boat? Only been once out of there and we went across to clam. If you ever watch them boys doing the work of getting the boats out of the water after a blow out it's pretty close to crazy. Maybe it's mostly insurance cost as it sure looks like some one could get hurt pretty easy when it's blowing out.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    So how do they justify that price? Is the fishing really better right there so as to save gas in the boat?
    I don't believe it has anything to do with saving gas in the boat, more as having the option of putting in and taking out regardless of how the tide is for river use....

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    A season pass in Homer is only $135 I think and thats for as many launches and retrives with your boat as you want all season long.
    It also includes access to clean bathrooms with hot runnning water and fish cleaning tables. Both of which are lacking at the tractor launch.
    That pretty much puts it in perspective now doesn't it...???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I didn't realize the annual was that cheap down there, if I had a big boat thats what I would be doing!

I have never launched there is it 68 per launch and retrieve, or a season? When I go down there I launch out of homer and really like there launch etc. I have even considered moving down that way so I can be closer to Homer or Seward to fish. I have thought about going to the tractor launch just to try it one time but have veered away in fear of a blow and myboat getting chewed up.

First there was one launch and his prices went up, then there were two and one was a cheaper. Maybe there will be a third and his price will be cheaper for a year then his price will go up too until they all price themselves out of business. 68 seems a bit high for a launch that you have to come back to at night.
    Last edited by sweepint; 05-02-2013 at 21:39. Reason: auto correct

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Yep one launch and retrive is $68.
    The only real benefit is the good halibut fishing spots typically are a lot closer than it is from Homer. Some people say for the price difference they can motor to the same spots launching from Homer and it is a wash. Of course that would have to include the extra gas in the truck and the daily launch rate of $12 or $13 in Homer.
    So I could launch from Anchor point and motor out 7-12 miles to get to good consistent fishing or launch from Homer and motor out 15-25 miles for similiar fishing.
    Of course eah place and each boater has their own spots some closer some farther away and all but you get the point.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Given the average size of fish caught by commercial fisherman was 11.9 pounds in Cook Inlet and the average charter was 13.3 pounds. Unless you are trophy fishing you can literally catch halibut of that size from shore or from something you can launch without the tractors. Source of halibut weights http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...alibut-anglers

Having said that, those nice large enclosed cabin's are nice! So are all of the other nice amenities on those boats! It just costs you $68 more to enjoy them! So you do have a choice.

Folks Launching driftboat near Deep Creek
    222561_1843075929190_1609368995_1805341_7084725_n.jpg

Small Halibut close to shore from a kayak.

I know the Park service did charge for the boat launch people to operate there I wonder if they increased there bill just an IDEA
    the park people want all the money they can get just like you an me SID

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast