Thread: Wrangell mountains sheep

Default Wrangell mountains sheep

I booked a Dall's sheep hunt with (outfitter name omitted) in August 06. (Omitted) was the outfitter, happenes to be the Director of the (omitted).

Never done a guided hunt before and was going on credentials, my fault. Not a person in the camp had ever been in the area before and my guide had never even seen a Dall's sheep before that summer. What a joke.

But if I was an Alaskan resident I could hunt this area without a "guide". The southeast basins of the Chikosna mountains are within easy access of a die hard hunter and hold some great sheep, lots of moose in the area also. You can backpack from the road.

WyoXtec
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-12-2007 at 23:37. Reason: negative info deleted in accordance with forum rule #7

Wrangell Mountain Air will fly you into this huge area. If you spend the money to fly, go to the airstrip closest to the Lakina Glacier and go up Mill Creek. Die hard sheep hunters will do well.

WyoXtec

Thanks for sharing. Too often individuals are not willing to educate others about locations and techniques. A friend hunted that drainage some years ago and said it was not real difficult as far as terrain goes. Long walk for them, if I remember the tale right. They went up til the creek forked and spike camped there. Hunted to the right and got two good sheep. Good Post

Unhappy

WX:
    Obviously you had a negative experience costing you a lot of effort and cash and would like to repay the guide by exposing his area and outfit. Good for you. Otherwise people will continue to get ripped off by said guide. PM me his name if you get a chance and I will let you know if it is the same guide. I had a negative experience years ago in that same area and few hunters in the camp got sheep as he way overbooked the area, our guide was lazy and chain smoked in the tent and one of the guides stole some of my clothes in basecamp. I am pretty sure they were all stoned. I thought the guy I went with was out of business now as he was charged for violations, but if not we need to get his name out on other websites. Hope you have better luck in the future.
    Pete
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default PM

PM Sent, thanks for the reply.

Default I highly recommend 40 mile air

A buddy of mine and I went in to the wrangell's last year with 40-mile air. I used to be a guide, and now I'm just another resident trying to fill the freezer. I have flown with a lot of pilots when I was guiding, and in my opinion Leif Wilson and his crew at 40-mile air are some of the most top notch pilots I have ever flown with. Not only did they bring us into some killer sheep country, but they got us in on time in spite of inclement weather. They also checked up on us part way through the hunt, and they picked us up on time, also in spite of marginal at best weather. I have to say they did fine job for the two of us. I took a 37" * 13 1/2" ram. My buddy didn't tag out, but not because of inability or lack of sheep. A couple guys from Anchorage came in a cub and landed on top of our camp, and went after my buddies ram. I have to say that was some pretty unethical behavior in my opinion. Then the two guys (a man and his son) proceeded to sight in their rifles within a few hundred yards from where we were camped. I wish I could remember the N numbers on that guys airplane. In my opinion that is harassement. Can't a be creative enough to find another spot if someone else has already pitched a camp there. I mean come on guys, let's all be respectful of one another.

I worked with fishing guides who had never seen a salmon. I'd demand your money back and complain to whoever is kinda in power and will listen
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

WX sent me the name and weird thing is totally different guide. So I would be cautious as there are a few meatball guides out there. Be sure to call references and ask a lot of questions. Its a lot of money at stake.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    My buddy didn't tag out, but not because of inability or lack of sheep. A couple guys from Anchorage came in a cub and landed on top of our camp, and went after my buddies ram. I have to say that was some pretty unethical behavior in my opinion. Then the two guys (a man and his son) proceeded to sight in their rifles within a few hundred yards from where we were camped. I wish I could remember the N numbers on that guys airplane. In my opinion that is harassement. Can't a be creative enough to find another spot if someone else has already pitched a camp there. I mean come on guys, let's all be respectful of one another.

Yeah, I'll have to say that was a bit of a bummer, but the trip was still worth it. The stalk on Bushwhack's ram was a thing of beauty. Not sure that I'm allowed to post this, but I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens. The N number was *edited out*

-Carnivore
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-26-2007 at 12:26.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Well......

if you can't post a guides name who screwed you, you dang sure shouldn't be able to post an N- number of the same!!

Not a guide - private plane.

Sorry, but posting the N number here, especially if you're not positive about it, definitely flies in the face of our forum rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Sorry, but posting the N number here, especially if you're not positive about it, definitely flies in the face of our forum rules.
    My apologies.

It's a shame to see this site going this route. I need not say more!

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    if you can't post a guides name who screwed you, you dang sure shouldn't be able to post an N- number of the same!!
    I believe a disclaimer posted to state that the opinions of forum posters may not reflect the opinions of the forum adminstration would cover them and respect posters freedom of speech. Certainly with freedom comes responsibility, but a negative comment is not slander if it is true. Just my humble opinion.