Thread: 1st sheep hunt

Default 1st sheep hunt

Hello,

I am looking for any/all information about doing a sheep hunt. I'm in Fairbanks and plan on heading north, parking at the pass and hiking in. If anybody has gone this same route (or have different suggestions), I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, if anybody has any suggestions for a sheep hunt/float in the brooks, that's be great too.

Thanks,
    Chris

Exclamation Sheep Hunting?

Yeah, 55 views, no replies...yet if you were a young women who just moved to Alaska, you'd probably have better luck with some sheep hunting info...heck, you'd most likely find someone here willing to take you with them on an expense free trip!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Default Ideas

Hey, I know how it is when you're trying to get information like this. Like pulling teeth. I've done a few variations of this.

PM me if you want a little info.

Otherwise, you might try searching the site (this is a pretty common question).

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by crmcd79 View Post
    Hello,

I am looking for any/all information about doing a sheep hunt. I'm in Fairbanks and plan on heading north, parking at the pass and hiking in. If anybody has gone this same route (or have different suggestions), I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, if anybody has any suggestions for a sheep hunt/float in the brooks, that's be great too.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Dont think your gonna get too much info n this one.. I would help ya but I dont do that hunt cause everytime I am in the area during sheep season there is no room to park... Do you bow hunt?.. Just be will willing to work harder and go further then the rest but dont overlook the obvious..

That's pretty decent of you oakman...if I had some info I would step forward. There probably is a lot of info here in the threads, so much that it might be overwhelming to look for.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Most of the stuff that would help you is much more accessible if you read Tony Russ's Book on Sheep Hunting. 2ed. It is dated but you can fill in the blanks on this forum and on Rokslide.com. However, if I were you I would also go to Joe Want's Seminar/Clinic. Then I would start practicing by climbing slides near DCUA. That is the closest place to find shale slides. Go to Gold Rush Jewelry on Second Ave and check out the Sheep. Then go to Nelson's Photography just ask to take a couple of pictures of that sheep. There are reasons why. You will get completely obsessed with all aspects about sheep. Go to SW and try to mentally measure the rams on display.

You can find a lot of very young dedicated sheep hunters in Fairbanks. They will share their obsession. The regular posters on here will also help you with gear questions of what they have found works and what doesn't work. They may not offer to take you on as a hunting partner sight unseen but they will share general stuff with you.

You have to have time, money or great luck to be successful in the sheep hunting endeavor. The more you have of each of these qualities the better chance at success. You need to outwalk your competition so don't take too much stuff. Simpler is better. You just have to get up earlier and go to bed later than your competition. Don't walk up the middle of the valley and just be sneaky as you can be.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Go ahead of season and scout as much as possible. Talk to Bios at ADF&G.

Bud Nelson shot this in 1953. It was his first sheep hunt and he had to walk further than anybody else.

use the following search term in google

sheep, brooks; site: outdoorsdirectory.com (you need to delete the space between the colon and the "o" when pasting it into google)

Then spend days reading hundreds of posts on here that will answer almost any question you can think of. It will not tell you which river drainage to walk to, but that is what maps are for.

If you are a sheep hunting neophyte then I would also recommend viewing and reviewing the recently released "Lace'um Up" CD set - may not be the exact title but was mentioned several weeks ago on the forum. If you can not locate it let me know - I have it at home and can give you the web address if someone else doesn't first.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Thanks for the suggestions gents. I was going to post pretty much the same question. You references are very helpful

Be careful about the 5 mile corridor unless you are bow hunting. With the way the haul road curves and depending on your route, you may have to hike 10 miles to be 5 miles off the road to legally shoot.

Be aware of Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve and hunting restrictions...

http://www.nps.gov/gaar/planyourvisit/hunting.htm

Get good gear, a good partner, get in shape and go trekking in the Brooks Range! You just might find a ram or 2!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Be careful about the 5 mile corridor unless you are bow hunting. With the way the haul road curves and depending on your route, you may have to hike 10 miles to be 5 miles off the road to legally shoot.

Be aware of Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve and hunting restrictions...

http://www.nps.gov/gaar/planyourvisit/hunting.htm

Get good gear, a good partner, get in shape and go trekking in the Brooks Range! You just might find a ram or 2!
    This has nothing to do with the question here but I haven't been on here in a while. I noticed your signature line Snyd and couldn't help but laugh. How true is that. I have used both and couldn't imagine the outcome if I hadn't had em! Nice.

As far as the post here. This sheep info is the most coveted around. Study the archives for a long time. There is info in here. But don't get so caught up that you think it isn't possible. Bottom line is...get good gear....a good map....find a drainage you want to check out....and do it.
    Worst case you find other hunters, not likely, or you don't find your rams.
    Best case you kill a nice legal ram
    Any case, you see cool country and get some sheep hunting experience under your belt. All experience is learning experience.
    Good. luck.