Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose shed

Default Moose shed

Was out looking for bears last weekend and found this shed sitting in some open water in a creek. I found lots of sheds over the years but never one broken off like this. All the others have been broke clean like snapping a carrot..

and

I've found them with some pointy projectiles where it hooks into their head with a little blood on it, never something that extreme. That moose must have had quite the hole in it's head after losing that one!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Interesting find there. We put on 217 miles this past weekend too. Still feels like winter......

elsielake, did you guys head back to my old moose camp area? I was on the other side of the mountain. didn't see ANY bear sign. Lots of wolverine tracks and a wolf/moose kill. Was a gorgeous ride though..

Tearbear, I am guessing this guy might have started ( or finished ) the break in a fight possibly. See the dark area from the base and then heading over the lower tines? Pretty sure that is a blood stain as it stunk badly in the area. The lowest tine is broke at the tip also..

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Tearbear, I am guessing this guy might have started ( or finished ) the break in a fight possibly. See the dark area from the base and then heading over the lower tines? Pretty sure that is a blood stain as it stunk badly in the area. The lowest tine is broke at the tip also..
    That surely could be a possibility...may have been a little painful, whatever way he lost it.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Yeah......as far as I'm concerned that antler wasn't shed at all. Somehow that thing was knocked off way before shedding time and I'd say that bull was dead around there somewhere. A big bear could easily slap a young bull's horn off his head like that......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Would you guys consider that one brow tine or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Would you guys consider that one brow tine or two?
    looks like 2 to me.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

First off, I would consider it two tines.

I've seen that kind of break once before. I was working at a mine in SouthEast Alaska and two of the guys I worked with were hauling freight to the beach one day and had two large moose step into the middle of the road and begin fighting. The smaller bull got his butt whipped and just before it ended his antler was broken off but with even more bone missing from the head. The guys picked up the antler and I couldn't believe when I saw it because there was like a quarter of his skull plate on the end of it. The moose was spotted 3 days later and was photographed with a huge hole in his head. You could actually see brains. I was surprised he was still alive. Goes to show you that they are some tuff animals.

Cool for sure... Love to see how and if the moose healed up... 907p that is a crazy story that must of been quite the site...

As far as point or no point.. The first pic make it look more defined but the second pic look a bit different. Her is adfg definition of a point for all...

"A point or tine is an antler projection at least one inch long, and longer than it is wide, with the width measured one inch or more from the tip"

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...fs/mooseid.pdf

Cool for sure... Love to see how and if the moose healed up... 907p that is a crazy story that must of been quite the site...

As far as point or no point.. The first pic make it look more defined but the second pic look a bit different but clearly look broken which could come into play... Here is adfg definition of a point for all...

"A point or tine is an antler projection at least one inch long, and longer than it is wide, with the width measured one inch or more from the tip"

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...fs/mooseid.pdf

Neat find, Steve. Never seen one with that much bone on it like that. Make a good wall hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    First off, I would consider it two tines.

I've seen that kind of break once before. I was working at a mine in SouthEast Alaska and two of the guys I worked with were hauling freight to the beach one day and had two large moose step into the middle of the road and begin fighting. The smaller bull got his butt whipped and just before it ended his antler was broken off but with even more bone missing from the head. The guys picked up the antler and I couldn't believe when I saw it because there was like a quarter of his skull plate on the end of it. The moose was spotted 3 days later and was photographed with a huge hole in his head. You could actually see brains. I was surprised he was still alive. Goes to show you that they are some tuff animals.
    I wouldn't doubt this happens more than we realize..........especially when a smaller bull decides he wants to take on a bigger one.....

The hole heal over fairly fast. When you dehorn calfs you can see their brains every time and they get a hole on each side.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've dehorned morethan a few beef calves, and I've never gotton to see brains. You must do it differently than i was taught.

I have seen a whitetail that lost one side to a car, and it healed over- but he never grew a antler on that side afterwards.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    The hole heal over fairly fast. When you dehorn calfs you can see their brains every time and they get a hole on each side.
    Hmmmmmm......I don't know about that. I'd think it would depend on the size of the hole wouldn't you? A calf and an adult are two different things. Even infant humans have the "soft" spot on their heads,. and of course that grows in to become part of the skull. But I doubt very much that as an adult we could last very long with a big hole in our skull. Again, not saying that some of these wouldn't heal, but if the hole is too big, I doubt it very much. How big is too big?.......I have no idea....

I was thinking the same thing. I have helped quite a bit on my grandparents ranch when the we branded and cut horns on the calves and they typically bleed out of the center of the horn but typically we cut them about half an inch to an inch from the skull. I've never seen brains. They must have a pretty weird way of dehorning calves if you see brains.

from personal exprience the hole in my head (from military "accident") took months to heal and that was with sawbones doing their magic, and then surgury to pull the hair into place over repairs.
    A 7.62 rnd does leave a decent sized hole.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    from personal exprience the hole in my head (from military "accident") took months to heal and that was with sawbones doing their magic, and then surgury to pull the hair into place over repairs.
    A 7.62 rnd does leave a decent sized hole.

Chris
    Wow! Explains your lust for life! LOL

AZinAK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast