Thread: Whittier boat launch with Motorhome

Default Whittier boat launch with Motorhome

Anyone have experience launching/retrieving their boat with a motorhome in Whittier? I have not been boating out of Whittier for several years, so not familiar with the situation there.

I have a 24 foot boat and planning on buying a 24-25 foot Class C. Just curious if it is a hassle maneuvering around the launch area when it’s busy (or not busy). Primarily is there enough room when it’s “busy”.

Also do you suggest getting an extended trailer hitch to stay clear of the water?

Is there someone in Whittier that launches/retrieves?

Thanks in advance.

I've seen it and it's definately an easier/cleaner ramp than Seward. Seward tends to be really slimy and at lower tides there's an abrupt edge where I did actually see a motorhome drop over and get hung up while launching.
    If it's your own [not a rental ~ not that I advocate dunking rentals] I'd be real cautious depending on where your generator compartment is located.
    I've seen how the saltwater can cause corrosion issues [lots of exposed parts suseptable to corrosion] in generator compartments.
    Lots depends on tour trasil/boat config too. With mine I feel the tongue is pretty long and no part of my truck, hitch, bumper come close to going in the salt. That said, most RV's have pretty low clearence in the back.

Whittier is a goat rope when it's busy no matter what you're pulling your trailer with. The real issue when it's busy is staging to retrieve, and being able to quickly move into position and down the ramp to retrieve. An RV would be far and away less than ideal on a busy weekend. But the real deal is just being aware and moving efficiently. When boats are stacked up 5-10 deep just waiting to tie up to the dock, you don't want to be that guy blocking up the show.

One thing that helps alot is if you can put someone else at the helm to bring your boat to the dock, hop off at the fuel dock and get your rig ready to retrieve before as soon as possible.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

There are people who can't back a trailer using a single cab pickup with no canopy, and there are people who can back a trailer with no view out the back using only their side mirrors. Which are you?

If you are proficient at getting lined up with minimal corrections, then don't worry about lack of room. There is plenty of room to get lined up between where they make you wait and the ramp, so long as someone's not parked right at the top putting out their bumpers and taking off tie-downs.

Thanks for the input… I have no problems backing trailers up with my crewcab pickup with shell using only mirrors. Also, I meant a 34-35 footer (24-25 would be no problem). I am looking at the Kodiak C5500 chassis (super c) motorhomes they are 34-35 feet long. I will head down next weekend to throw some shrimp pots out and check it out.

I have a 30 foot class c and have had no problems launching my 22 foot sea runner out of Seward (launch by cruise ship dock). I have never had to have the motorhome even close to the water line, i think the rear bumper is close to 2 feet from the water edge. If I remember right there is a mark on the dock that shows the end of the launch, at low tide this could be an issue if you back to far in. But i would think that you could just get the boat off the trailer and still be able to pull the trailer out, just my thoughts. I have not launched out of Whittier with my motorhome yet, but it seems to me that the launch is no different than any other that i have launched my boat at. As stated before Whittier can really be hectic on certain days, patience is the key on these days, as well as lending a helping hand to others.

I launch my 21 ft SeaPro with my 32 ft class c. I've been to Homer, Whittier, and Seward and have had no problems. If you are comfortable backing, you should be fine. The only issue I have with the motor home is at times I have to walk into the water to get the boat on and off and most of the time, I'm launching and retrieving solo. Low tide in Seward can be challenging getting in far enough for my boat and trailer, but still never really an issue. Good luck and tight lines!
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

it all depends on the boat and how much water it draws, my 26' will put the back tires half way in the water every time. So that will be the same with your boat as well. I have found that Seward is a bit steeper than Whittier and i like that much better, the steeper the better. As for the goat rope there in Whittier yes. There are folks out there that can not back up, the people that are suppose to be controling everything should go back to what they did before because they are useless there. I myself try to role in and dump the boat as fast as i can and get out of the way and so does most of everyone else. You will find there is generally someone out there that will offer up some help if you need it as well. I am not trying to sound that Neg about Whittier but it can be tough at times to launch. Its also not a show stopper at low tide there as it is in Seward.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam