Thread: New Artilce - IS THERE REALLY A PRATICAL ADVANTAGE?

Default New Artilce - IS THERE REALLY A PRATICAL ADVANTAGE?

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I always appreciate your passion for shooting, handloading and hunting. I don't disagree with your premise as you have qualified it. There are so many different hunting scenarios that can and do occur within the field even for the same hunter year after year.

I went to Africa last year and took seven animals from a large Kudu down to springbok with a .30-06...everything was a one shot kill except the wildebeest, which I hit too high on the first shot (my error). That said, I have lived in hunting heaven for nearly thirty years and there are animals here that will eat me, which I have hunted and taken many times, but even when I am hunting moose those other animals are still out there. Therefore, I am always packing my 375HH in the fall...even though Moose have been taken with much less horsepower. I know that my comment is consistent with your well written article...sometimes the cartridge you're packing is more than you need for the game you seek, but it's for the dangerous game that's also out there that may seek you. (I even took my 375HH when I tent camped on Montague for a week last November hunting for that little black-tail deer).

However, your main premise is accurate in my opinion and it has been proven over time because there is nothing the 30-06 hasn't taken and taken cleanly in some hunting scenarios. Thanks for sharing your article BT.

Thank you and I enjoyed sharing it. I just love the big boomers and if one handles one well and can shoot one well they are a lot of fun and for dangerous game it is good to know you have a little extra.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

As I've said many times, know the limitations of the round you use, and place your shots accordingly. One could take all game in Alaska with a 22 hornet, but very, very few people would be willing to live with the limitations of such a round. What round one settles on is a personal choice. I've seen shooters with 300 mags that can put most other shooters to shame in terms of accuracy. I've also seen people with 270's that should be ashamed of their shooting skills, or lack thereof.

I've long held in the real world things don't always go as planned and using a round that provides a bit of extra terminal performance never hurts so long as one doesn't give up accuracy in the trade off. Another way of saying it's better to carry and use more gun than you need, then be in the field wishing you'd made a different choice because things didn't turn out as planned.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

great article, I'd agree there is no practical advantage to magnum cartridges of the same caliber, compared to the standards.

This isn't the greatest example, but I was pondering this the other day:

All I can seem to safely get from the .358 win with a 275 grainer, is 2200 fps. this is at 42 grains of powder

Step up to the ole 9.3x62, I can now push 300 grainers at 2460 fps. this is at 64 grains of powder.

So, the 358 winchester is capable of making 73.5 percent of the ole 9.3's power, but with 53 percent less powder!

I wish folks would pay special attention to the increase in power as compared to the increase powder use, in barrel length, gun weight, ect.

At practical ranges, you don't gain much. Just more barrel length, more gun weight, less cartridges in the magazine, and more powder burned.

308/30-06 family of cartridges never failed anyone, till folks got bad cases of magnumitis. At the upper end, 338 federal, 338-06, 358 winchester, 35 whelen, and 9.3x62 mauser.......they are all stone cold killers, capable of dropping the largest game in North America. Take a look at a 338-06 with a 225 grain Accubond for instance......measley 24 inches of drop at 400 yds with a 200 yd zero, that's flat shooting/mucho-power is I've ever heard of it.

Good, thoughtful article.

My first reaction was a little "silly" until I thought about it more. The advantage of carrying a boomer here in serious bear country is that when hunting with partners, you usually get to see the game first. All the guys with less powerful rounds tend to tuck in behind you and your big gun.

On the serious side, that puts some nervous guys with loaded guns right behind you. I don't like that one bit!

We must remember America coined the phrase Magnum. The long action H&H rounds truely have names 30 super and 375 rimless express etc. Todays rifleman want short actions or so they are told.In truth Browning will toute their quick X bolt but also their BLR.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Magnum is just a relative term. Do I need a magnum rather than a 600 Nitro Express to hunt any dangerous game or for that matter there are a lot of non magnum rounds that are suited for dangerous game. 416 Rigby, 470Nitro, 475Nitro, 476Nitro, 500Nitro, 500Jeffrey, 577Nitro, all are capable of over 5000 ft lb of energy and without the magnum label. And in some cases magnum doesn't really mean much such as the 256Win mag or the 222Rem Mag. Magnum is just a name and in some cases doesn't mean much. 350 Rem Mag vs 35 Whelen or 7mmRem Mag vs 7x61 S&H. Do either of these mags have anything over the non mag?

Yes, magnum is a relative term and thanks for bring out other aspects that could be considered when using the relative term magnum as you did with your specific examples. Of course as intelligent as you seem to be I am sure you understood my general use of this relative term as it is accepted by most in a general since, especially since I gave an example of the 30-06 as a standard cartridge as apposed to the 300Win mag and 300Wby mag which have greater recoil as apposed to the standard 30-06 cartridge. This being the case, along with my stated thesis, makes it easy for one to catch the drift of the article. It is easily seen from the context of my article what was intended by using the term magnum without having to write a dissertation. I am sure and do assume you understood the point and thanks once again for clarifying how relative the term magnum can be.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Thank you and I enjoyed sharing it. I just love the big boomers and if one handles one well and can shoot one well they are a lot of fun and for dangerous game it is good to know you have a little extra.
    Good point BT...big boomers are nothing if you can't shoot them comfortably (accurately).

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Beartooth,

As always another excellent article. I agree for most applications there is no need for a magnum. Still I don't leave them home very often.

I understand that, I sure have hunted with them a lot on my life and as I said only teh 30-06 have I used more than magnums.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS