Thread: Spreading scent

Default Spreading scent

I am setting up my site over the next week and I have an idea I would put past you guys. I was going to bring out a couple gallons of milk and put it around I was also thinking of leaving about 1/4 of the milk in the jugs and putting some big holes inthe higher parts of the jug to let the odor out and hanging them about 8 ft from the ground. I am thinking of something c that will put out odor for a long time and the wind will carry and sour milk can put out some odor ....... Your thoughts?
    Any suggestions ?
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

Never herd of that. I used a one gallon jug of molasses and poked a really small hole in the bottom of it and hung it from a tree and let it slowly drip. I could always smell it when I walked in. It lasted about 2 weeks dripping like that till a brown bear tore down the tree and ate the jug. I'll use a bigger tree next time.

Sent while hiding from the boss

roughneck,
    Sounds like you would be making a nasty fly trap if you cut large holes in the jug and had sour milk in there.
    Also, it might just fill up and run over with rainwater if the holes were large enough to let flys in, especially near the top of the jug.
    Just a thought....
    BK

Default Licorice Scent

Glycerine & Anise oil. Soak some rags in glycerine, this will help keep it moist, then drip some Anise oil (licorice scent) on the rags and hang those out of reach. This works very well for black bears.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Yeah I can get around the rain issue I was just looking for an overwhelming. Scent even if it is nasty. I just don't know if bears would react to sour milk cause it is stronger than most odors I didn't even think about anise

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    I am setting up my site over the next week and I have an idea I would put past you guys. I was going to bring out a couple gallons of milk and put it around I was also thinking of leaving about 1/4 of the milk in the jugs and putting some big holes inthe higher parts of the jug to let the odor out and hanging them about 8 ft from the ground. I am thinking of something c that will put out odor for a long time and the wind will carry and sour milk can put out some odor ....... Your thoughts?
    Any suggestions ?
    I've tried a lot of things over the years but never used milk so I can't comment if it will work or not - or if it will spoil and attract one type of bear over the other. To start, I typically get a bait ball, anise and black death from Bait'em 907 and hang anise rags and smear Black Death (sometimes peanut butter as well) in a 40 yard radius around and above my bait. The black death will last (it's waterproof) and the anise rags usually last a few days. I do a few other things but this covers the basics. While setting up for the first time and when replenishing bait, I do a massive honey burn (check out my YouTube videos) - after using my burner I can smell the honey up to 150 yards away when leaving (depending on terrain). Some think this is excessive but IMO it's worth the effort - a bears sense of smell is 7 times greater than a bloodhound and 2100 times stronger than mans. Last, when leaving I spray down the entire site with a liquid mixture I use for baiting. When I'm done, a bear can smell my bait site from miles away. I don't use fryer grease and generally don't have issues with brown bears.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Here is how I was going to get around the rain but I would use a plastic plate that should keep the rain out I would still put some holes in it i you could put anything in it like anise or vanilla extract and it might last longer than a rag i would just ventilate it so the scent could carry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    I've tried a lot of things over the years but never used milk so I can't comment if it will work or not - or if it will spoil and attract one type of bear over the other. To start, I typically get a bait ball, anise and black death from Bait'em 907 and hang anise rags and smear Black Death (sometimes peanut butter as well) in a 40 yard radius around and above my bait. The black death will last (it's waterproof) and the anise rags usually last a few days. I do a few other things but this covers the basics. While setting up for the first time and when replenishing bait, I do a massive honey burn (check out my YouTube videos) - after using my burner I can smell the honey up to 150 yards away when leaving (depending on terrain). Some think this is excessive but IMO it's worth the effort - a bears sense of smell is 7 times greater than a bloodhound and 2100 times stronger than mans. Last, when leaving I spray down the entire site with a liquid mixture I use for baiting. When I'm done, a bear can smell my bait site from miles away. I don't use fryer grease and generally don't have issues with brown bears.
    Yup. What AlaskanOutdoorsman said. My first thought was milk? Not enough scent scatter. Thinking like a bear (however that is) I'm not seeing any advantage in the milk concept. Doing a massive burn like AlaskanOutdoorsman is the key I think along with spreading scent around the site by spray bottle (I thank my friend Louis for showing me this) and generally making sure you stink the place up with quality scent. Vanilla. That's the key.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Honey burn,, last hours, cheap and the scent hangs in the trees for a long time. Amazingly effective!!!

Works with sterno or tea candles.

Only add about an inch of honey or it will boil over.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

pick up a cheap battery powered air freshner- one with fruit or similar flavor. If gets empty, use your injinuty to refill with anise or such. Bring fresh batteries (and scent) in with you when you go in for that first hunt.

This trick works well when placed high in a tree above bait barrel. wet scent falls down, and the lighter air freshner scent floats down wind for a long ways.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    pick up a cheap battery powered air freshner- one with fruit or similar flavor. If gets empty, use your injinuty to refill with anise or such. Bring fresh batteries (and scent) in with you when you go in for that first hunt.

This trick works well when placed high in a tree above bait barrel. wet scent falls down, and the lighter air freshner scent floats down wind for a long ways.

Chris
    This is a new one for me and i like it. and if the snow ever goes away in PWS I'll look at trying it out.