Thread: montague PWS taxi air or boat ?

Default montague PWS taxi air or boat ?

I have a trip planned with friends in PWS in July. I reserved a cabin at Pt. Chalmers and plan on setting a tent camp somewhere up in the college to take some reds. My boat is small, but with the right weather I have fished south west montague. I plan to take in disposable supplies the weekend before they get here. They are asking whether it would be feasible (monitarrily and time speaking) to have the "gals" fly in while my friend and I boat in.

What charters or air taxis provide a flight or boat service in to Pt. Chalmers and what are the costs? I have been on google for an hour and have only found a couple that go in....

Issue, disregarding weather, is taking fish back to port, because I don't have capacity to take fish and people back - so it would take multiple runs. Thinking maybe a fish haul back or personnel back via transporter (be it air or boat).

Please help - so I can convince them to extend a couple day and we will play the weather....

rm

Matt at Aquatech.
    Ray at CrazyRaysadventures.

Rusts fly in service.
    BK

Lazy Otter Charters as well, I have used them several times in the past, including a trip out to the forest service cabin at Pt. Chalmers.

most of the air charters in Anchorage will do it for you

Out of Whittier several years back we used Sound Echo Adventures to get back from Port Chalmers from a hunting trip. As I recall it was $2000, and that was just for the return trip as a friend of one of the guys in our group took us over there. I can highly recomend Gerry, great guy.

It would probably be cheaper for two people to fly. We had a group of four and alot of gear, not to mention not wanting to be stuck on the island in the fall due to planes not being able to fly in or out.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Bull,
    What timeframe you talking? We have the cabin 19-21 so we typically head to Knight the night prior which would be Thursday the 18th. We're coming back in on Sunday the 21st.
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I have a trip planned with friends in PWS in July. I reserved a cabin at Pt. Chalmers and plan on setting a tent camp somewhere up in the college to take some reds. My boat is small, but with the right weather I have fished south west montague. I plan to take in disposable supplies the weekend before they get here. They are asking whether it would be feasible (monitarrily and time speaking) to have the "gals" fly in while my friend and I boat in.

What charters or air taxis provide a flight or boat service in to Pt. Chalmers and what are the costs? I have been on google for an hour and have only found a couple that go in....

Issue, disregarding weather, is taking fish back to port, because I don't have capacity to take fish and people back - so it would take multiple runs. Thinking maybe a fish haul back or personnel back via transporter (be it air or boat).

Please help - so I can convince them to extend a couple day and we will play the weather....

rm

I have it for a week over July 4th. I am trying to get them to extend their stay a couple days so that we have little bit of relax time. I am mostly looking for info to pencil up rough budget numbers to give them. Logistically, it would be easier to fly a couple people in than it would to fly fish out...at least we know we will have the people!

Thanks guys. I got them the pricing. I am cheap and easy - the costs are too high. Hopefully the weather holds and my logistical planning works out for us.

BTW. Rusts says 5 hours flight time (round trip) on a 206 is 2500.00 for just a drop or say a fish pickup, they said they don't usually drop there - he sounded a bit concerned about the beaching - was wondering if he could pull up next to my boat.....nope! Whittier water taxi (aquatech) is 2200 for drop and pickup out of whittier for 4 people)

If they can possibly go out of Valdez, Vertical Solutions helicopter service can take two people and some gear...less than those prices out of ANC or Whittier. I've met the pilot and watched her land on a narrow beach strip, and she knows what she is doing. vshelicopter.com

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

I will be fishing the Montegue Strait 19-26 June. I run out of Seward and plan on making the trip every other day. Depending on weather and other considerations, first trip could be on the 20th and last could finish on the 25th. I'm not a licensed transporter, so I wouldn't charge anything. I can handle up to 3000lbs of cargo. I'd need help loading and unloading. I would also need to be directed to a safe beach to offload, unless you want to transfer to a smaller boat.

I'll be able to get us there. Their plane comes in July 2nd. I will get some of our stuff out to the cabin and my other camp site before they get here.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Understand. If you need any help during the time I'm there, let me know. After my June trip, I won't be back until 30 July. Good luck.