Thread: Build me a 257 wby

Default Build me a 257 wby

I am looking for either a name of a good gunsmith or if a forum member wants to do it. I have an old Ruger m77 stainless rifle chambered in 7mm. It was the first rifle my dad ever bought for me so I am attached to it in a way. I would like to have as lightweight as possible rifle built using the action off of it that way I can keep some part of the rifle on the new build. The current barrel on it is shot out and it won't hit a dinner plate at 100yds. I know some don't like to work on that action. But some will do it. I want an accurate rifle I like to shoot long range and I want this one to be as accurate as possible. I am looking at the 257 because I need a good medium caliber rifle. I already have a custom 300rum so not looking to make it a large caliber. This would be my sheep, deer, goat gun. If anyone knows a better long range medium caliber cartridge that would be able to utilize this action I am not dead set on the 257 but I do like the size of it.
    I am expecting to replace the stock, trigger, barrel and have the action worked on. If someone on this forum wants to do the work shoot me a pm or reply with a rough price and we'll see where it goes. I am in no hurry at all for the gun so I don't have a time line I need it by. We'll I am planning an antelope hunt in the fall of 2014 so before then would be nice.
    Thanks for the help
    Tony
    Sent while hiding from the boss

Be glad to do it but for anyone to give you a price they will need more details from you. 7mag now so the action should work as is but sounds like you want truing and lightening done? How much? What kind of barrel are you wanting, profile, fluted, maker names, cut or button rifle all effect price. You just want to drop it into a generic synthetic stock or something else in mind? Then what kind of finishes do ya want, coatings or any cool stuff?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The last rifle I had built has a HS precision stock and a Kreiger barrel on it. The action was trued and I went with a heavier barrel and had it fluted but all that was by the suggestion of the smith that built it. As far as what profile barrel and all that other good stuff I would have to trust the smith on putting it all together and would go off of his suggestions for how to build it. I know what all that is but not good enough to tell you exactly what I want and how I want it done. He would know a lot better than I would. Kind of a I tell you what you tell me how type of thingI know I don't want a wood stock and I don't need exotic super spendy parts on it to shave grams off. I would just like a fairly light rifle but would give up some weight for accuracy. My only expectations are that it shoot moa or less when done hopefully less

To make a shooter buy a quality barrel; Kreiger, Shilen, Hart, Brux, Bartlein to name a few. Buy a quality reamer. Pacific Tool & Gage makes three types of reamers, each becoming tighter. The best would be a finish reamer. Calc all your lightweight components and add back the weight in barrel. Throw in with AD and he can make you a good one.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Makes since, a lot of guys trust in the smith like that but usually it’s a “this is what I want, this is my budget, get me as close as you can for the money” type arrangement. Others know what they want, often even have most of the parts rounded up then look for the smithing price.

I think I have a good idea what you are looking for now. I’ll do some checking and PM you some ideas tonight.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

bugholes has a Bartlein SS #3 257 cal. 1/10 twist barrel in stock right now for $340. No waiting. I really like the Ruger action, but it is heavy. With scope and mounts and sling, would be hard to have it under 8 lbs. Accuracy shouldn't be a problem with the barrel I mentioned, though!

Thanks

Great round, as is the 6.5x284.

The Kid built a 257 Roy for me last year with a lilja 3 groove barrel on a Remington 700. I didn't even do load development. Factory loads easily went under 1/2 inch. It's a great set up.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    The Kid built a 257 Roy for me last year with a lilja 3 groove barrel on a Remington 700. I didn't even do load development. Factory loads easily went under 1/2 inch. It's a great set up.
    They got one in stock for $335 too.
    http://www.riflebarrels.com/products...ock_barrel.htm
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona